Sign in to follow this  
spilok

How many V5 users still using V4.5?

I really did NOT want to do this...however, I got pretty frustrated with V5 today.  There are days it runs pretty well, and other days where it really tries my patience.  There are still too many tweaks I keep hearing about and so many simmers are still trying to make it run smoothly.  There are airports (default) that at least for me, are unfinished to the point that runways are not complete and are interspaced with grass.  I have brightness problems and I've tinkered with ADAPTATION_RATE_SCALAR too many times to make it right.  It still isn't. Some days I get so many stutters and pauses that I just quit.  I've played with Nvidia inside frames and P3d's frame settings in many combinations.

So, today, I went back to 4.5 for the day.  I had to reinstall all of my ORBX stuff (because I erased 4.5 about a week after V5 came out).  I had a great day!  Very smooth flying and frames in very high double digits.  I do have a state of the art Jetline system, and V5 brought it its knees more than a few times.  It seems as I kept adding sceneries and planes as they became available for V5 that those addons compromised the sim more than I ever thought it would.  When I first downloaded V5 before all the addons, it ran like a brand new car.  After putting in my sceneries that I've purchased over the last few years, it kept slowing down this new version.  I certainly hope that Lockheed Martin is hearing about this from others so that they can take action.

I don't know if any of you have had similar experiences with V5 that I mentioned, but I'm very thankful 4.5 is still there for me.  It helps me keep my sanity.

Stan

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I’m still using 4.5 more than 5 since I am waiting on the next hot fix. Plus there are still plenty of addons not yet ready for v5.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 1

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Hmmm...you see, my experience is different...I do have 4.5 on my PC but I can't use it for some reason and still keeping on my machine "just in case" I've been flying with V5 ever since...first day I believe and (not) patiently waiting for further updates on FSL and PMDG. Got a bit boring flying only 747 and 787, specially where my VA doesn't use 747. Anyway, indeed I had similar experience few days back with some "pauses"  in the air, but after I updated to 2004 not only that I got more vRam but smoothness came back. I do have tons of sceneries and only thing I haven't installed is live traffic, not sure I will. I have to say one thing that FFTF made my day....significant difference and very much noticeable on heavy airports...FTCYYZ, ASEGLL, FTEHAM etc.

Look it's not perfect by any stretch of imagination, but I made it work and way better looking and feeling than V4.5. Yes...still not happy with weather, not sure about TS etc. I fly with and without. I use ENVSHADE+ENVTEX+SF.... They should improve few things with next update I hope.

And...I have mediocre equipment...GTX1070 and 6700 and guess what....average 35-45 FPS and max used 4GB vRAM. So perhaps you should try few more things. But I know the feeling.

Edited by cyyzrwy24

Virtual Air Canada - Alex Luzajic

Only for beta testing. If it wasn't for that, V4 would be gone already.

I am considering going back

V5 is killing me a bit with the errors and CDT plus the sceneries are glitchy 

AMD Ryzen 3800X 3.9 GHz Turbo up to 4.2 GHz

GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Windforce 11GB

32GB 3200MHz RAM 

1TB Crucial SSD & 1 500GB Crucial SSD

Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, CH Products Pro Pedals

I still use 4.5 almost exclusively because I fly VR exclusively and the VRAM consumption is simply too high to get V5 to run in VR reliably.                                                                                     

18 minutes ago, Chaos81 said:

Only for beta testing. If it wasn't for that, V4 would be gone already.

Same here. Haven't touched v4 since the v5 HF-1 came out. Using ASP3D
This time my setup is quite clean. ORBX installed via library, and most other addons >95% are installed via add-on.xml. (Planes, Traffic and Sceneries)

I'm now working on exclusions using ADE.

Edited by RamonB

36 minutes ago, spilok said:

It seems as I kept adding sceneries and planes as they became available for V5 that those addons compromised the sim more than I ever thought it would.  When I first downloaded V5 before all the addons, it ran like a brand new car.  After putting in my sceneries that I've purchased over the last few years, it kept slowing down this new version.  I certainly hope that Lockheed Martin is hearing about this from others so that they can take action.

This is your issue. You're "brand new car" install of v5 runs like word not allowed when you stuff in all these add-ons that aren't quite 100% coded to the sdk. The onus isn't so much on LM as is it on the devs of these add-ons to make sure it works with the new sdk.

I have been running v5 with only things I know are certified ready by the devs and it's night and day compared to v4. When I feel like checking out an old scenery to see if it will work I install it and see how it reacts. If it drags down performance, out it goes until a compatibility patch is announced or a new version is released. Try going slow and seeing what works well and what doesn't. I bet the results might surprise you.

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

I am in the same boat

Seem to have been here before with P3D v3 going to P3D v4

V5 for me is all over better looking- scenery wise etc than v4 and worthwhile persevering for that reason alone

Of course it is a work in progress as all the AddOns catch up

It is not as smooth as my v4 setup

I am sticking with it

xxd09

I’m  back on 4.5, and have been since about 2-3 days after the HF was released.

I have no time for beta testing and view the posts claiming that v5 can be made to run “rock solid” as wishful thinking based on my testing. It’s a mess for now, so I’ll wait for more updates before going back.

Edited by alepro21
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Formally screen name was Alex_YSSY until the forum software ate my account  ^_^

I've only had a CTD with the Maddog and I'm pretty sure it was because of the WX radar not playing nice with Activesky. No issues at all with the Majestic Q400.

V5 with EA is a gamechanger. It's amazing how happy I was with V4 and how much it looks like word not allowed now that I've tasted V5. Never going back. If HF2 enhances EA to the point where the weather isn't global (which is the reason for the sudden cloud changes) then I'll be a happy camper.

I'll be even happier if they fix the internal frame rate limiter.

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

V5 is on my desktop. Deleted 4.5 the first week of V5. I have not had any of the horror stories besides vr issues pre HF1.

I do have 4.5hf3 on my laptop that I take to work with me. Id swap to 5 in a heartbeat but i think the 4gig 1050ti and the 7700hq would not be up to the task.

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

I'm in the same boat. Some days v5 is a dream some days it isn't although I remind myself  the fact that it's still fairly new and move on from that. However, I also still have 4.5 installed and between that and XP11 I think i'll be ok until dev's get the addons lined out. It is excited however to see what's possible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ws5xzd-6.png
Johnny Green

CFII/SMEL
SF340B+

8 minutes ago, JGreen5278 said:

I'm in the same boat. Some days v5 is a dream some days it isn't although I remind myself  the fact that it's still fairly new and move on from that. However, I also still have 4.5 installed and between that and XP11 I think i'll be ok until dev's get the addons lined out. It is excited however to see what's possible.

I agree.

I'm currently running 4.5 and will do so until the issues are worked out on 5.0. My systems performs very well and there is no reason to upgrade until the bugs are worked out of P3dV5

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1