Sign in to follow this  
spilok

How many V5 users still using V4.5?

Hello dear teammate

The problem is that the sceneries are mentioned  to be V5 “compatible” when many are just an adaptation of their installer and not a new SDK encoding.

A label "true SDK v5" should be, for me, obligatorily mentioned.
But most of the selling sites, so as not to lose potential customers, have always managed to make a big blur around these mentions.
Remains the frustrations of customers who pull their hair out to stabilize and try to make P3D correct.

The graphics engine Direct X 12 rejects inappropriate codes much faster, which causes a lot of slowdown, flickering and CTD ...

Previously the transition from version 3 (32bits) to version 4 (64 bits) had made it more mandatory for developers to go through the SDK box.

Good flight to all.

• Upvote 1

Interesting thread.

ive had a bit of a joyride with 5 and do not have 4.5 anymore.

the rules from many other threads seem to be

5 is very different from 4 or anything else

5 runs exceptionally well if you don’t load it up with old scenery and not compatible planes. I just have Orbx and 4 planes currently. (Carenado and A2A). I am waiting for Milviz 350, MJQ 400 and FSL Airbus.

you don’t need to switch all settings up to max to get a good experience. I don’t really have the hardware. But it is very smooth at pretty high settings Nonetheless.

if you want to upgrade anything - get an 11Gb graphics card. 

i don t have Win 10 2004 yet but make sure your Windows is stable. I did a Windows repair and it found a lot of errors. Most kernelbase dll CTDs are related to system errors not P3D. I am not getting CTDs. 

it will be a great platform once the weather and cloudscapes are sorted and the silly glitches and visual artefacts are addressed.

ray

i have V4.5 as main SIM , and V5 as testing , when HF2 and FSL PMDG and some other is there a switch.

MS 2020 is no go yet , iam on mobil internet live in rural area with no fiber. its 3G-4G for me i hope that we have 5G in the end of this year as promised 

3 hours ago, rayharris108 said:

Interesting thread.

ive had a bit of a joyride with 5 and do not have 4.5 anymore.

the rules from many other threads seem to be

5 is very different from 4 or anything else

5 runs exceptionally well if you don’t load it up with old scenery and not compatible planes. I just have Orbx and 4 planes currently. (Carenado and A2A). I am waiting for Milviz 350, MJQ 400 and FSL Airbus.

you don’t need to switch all settings up to max to get a good experience. I don’t really have the hardware. But it is very smooth at pretty high settings Nonetheless.

if you want to upgrade anything - get an 11Gb graphics card. 

i don t have Win 10 2004 yet but make sure your Windows is stable. I did a Windows repair and it found a lot of errors. Most kernelbase dll CTDs are related to system errors not P3D. I am not getting CTDs. 

it will be a great platform once the weather and cloudscapes are sorted and the silly glitches and visual artefacts are addressed.

ray

Do you mind linking to the tool I can download for windows repair?

AMD Ryzen 3800X 3.9 GHz Turbo up to 4.2 GHz

GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Windforce 11GB

32GB 3200MHz RAM 

1TB Crucial SSD & 1 500GB Crucial SSD

Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, CH Products Pro Pedals

19 minutes ago, cooperwarner8 said:

Do you mind linking to the tool I can download for windows repair?

He was probably referring to the inbuild sfc /scannow command.

Click Start -> type cmd -> right click the Command Prompt window and choose Run as Admin -> type sfc /scannow

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

Hi

Yes it's on the www.tweaking.com website 'Windows Repair tool' (Free).

I think it just batches all the tools that are already in Windows like SFC, but you may not be aware of all of them (I'm not). I have the free version and it did a good job on my mess of a Windows. Fingers crossed so far so good.

I also use the FFTF (Fiber Frame Time Fraction ) tool from FSPS - which for me is invaluable for preventing blurries and autogen refusing to appear on my system. Remeber though the more you load onto your sim, the harder it will be to maintain good perfomrance whatever tools you use. It's just the system limits and symptoms behave somehat differently to what you may be used to in P3D v4.

I'm still testing, but with a just a few planes and Orbx scenery plus ASP3D I can get up to 80-90 FPS and extremely smooth performance in most places, and c 30-40FPS at Innsbuck. with about 5-6Gb RAM usage. And it looks amazing.

Ray

I wonder if it causes any performance penalty having two sims (4.5&5) on the same hard drive?

Vic green

Only if you try to run them both at once.🙂

• Like 1

I read these posts with mixed feelings... For the past, what?, years? (Decades?) every time a major version comes out you get the waves of add-ons that devs need to re-analyze, test, update, etc to be compatible with the new version. 

What do people who jump on board early expect will happen..?

Edited by Mgard78

Still using v4.5HF3 and very happy with it. Also have V5+hotfix which I used with Carenado single props and PMDG 744 & 748 and with scenery from a couple of developers that came out with their compliant V5 scenery.

When using PMDG and a V5 scenery it went like this: After start up, taxi and take off all OK but shortly after CTD with Kernelbase.dll, Terrain.dll, DX warning window, etc. Never managed to do a full long haul without crashes. When flying GA no CTDs, mind you I'm using default airports.Tried again with the heavies after Active Sky released the hotfix, still CTD. There is no doubt in my mind that it performs beautifully, but clouds could be improved and my personal opinion is that it is not ready for the sort of flying heavies I do.

V4.5 is actually looking and behaving extremely well with the AS P3D (v4) and only having a smaill issues with some artifacts appearing at some airports when looking at the aircraft from outside while climbing, which I believe may be an Nvidia driver issue perhaps because I'm only using a DCH driver. V5 still WIP.

The longer I wait to make a decision about whether to upgrade to P3Dv5 or not, the more I am reluctant to do so. Despite new features like DX12 and TrueSky, I am starting to feel like I need something completely different.....

• Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Personally I think a lot of the v5 issues people are having are from installing non-compatible add-ons, things that don't have native v5 installers. That said, I use both. I use v5 exclusively for IFR, because the clouds in EA are just stunning. For VFR I will often use v4.5, just because the REX products make it click and go, and it's gorgeous.