Sign in to follow this  
spilok

How many V5 users still using V4.5?

I was surprised at such a release.  It felt rushed, untested ( how did beta testers miss the blatant issues with default airports?)  Not sure why they felt they needed it out the door so fast.  Haven't seen such a release like this since the original P3D version 1 release.  I think with the soon to be Hotfix 2  is where the release should have happened.  They need to be careful as releases make a huge impression on the simmer.  Think of your 3rd party purchase that was woefully released way to early or even FSX release.  Those types of releases can take years to rebuild confidence.

On the other hand despite the woes I am content with my purchase.  For me, the pros of it outweigh the cons but I also have 4.5 securely installed and will keep it on my hard drive for quite some time.  So going back and forth is not so bad for me if I need to but most of my flying is in v5.

• Like 1

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

It's not the most solid P3D ever from user's reports, but once i have seen it, i've never gone back. Not much more to say about it really.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

The longer I wait to make a decision about whether to upgrade to P3Dv5 or not, the more I am reluctant to do so

I had initially planned to update the weekend after v5 was released but the initial flood of error reports and incompatibility issues caused me to hold off . I am spending 98 percent of my time at home now and do not want to be in a position of not being able to complete a flight -- and I do not have enough space for a dual installation. So, I decided to hold off until v5 is stable. I am still looking forward to upgrading, but this past week or so I find myself more reluctant to do so, or less interested to do so. 4.3 is working exceptionally well for me and MSFS is getting closer, which, whether or not it pans out to be all we might hope for, will present a decision point on my next step in flight simulation. I am looking forward to the reports after HF2 is released.

• Upvote 2

Dan Scott

You'll probably get a host of replies condemning you as I did, in daring to comment on a non purchase - due to its reported faults.  Good to see I'm not the only one who actually gives thought prior to spending money.... 

11 hours ago, GEKtheReaper said:

@spilok you should have inserted a poll (you will have to read all comments and make your own list now....maybe a admin could set it up...).

Back to v4.5HF3. P3D v5 is way to buggy and costly for me. It's the first app (game) that req users to buy mid to High end GPU's to fly with mediocre settings.

I do not exactly know how to insert a poll.  THAT would be interesting, indeed.  If Admin is reading this, I would much appreciate a poll being attached to this thread.  It could be very revealing and helpful to Lockheed Martin.

Stan

14 minutes ago, spilok said:

I do not exactly know how to insert a poll.

Quite easy. If you click "Start new topic" just right to "Content"  is "Poll" 🙂

Edited by GEKtheReaper

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

I have both versions of the sim for now but only keep V4.5 for peace of mind and it has been handy to move my AI program and the Vertx DA-62 which I fly 99.9% of the time. Based on many of the V5 complaints, I am sure that it is no where near perfect but I have been very happy with it and have not had (knock on wood for luck) any of the CTD's and other problems talked about here. Why have I had such a good experience and yet you guys are having so many problems? It is very simple! Pure blind luck! LOL!! Simple as that. Read on and I will tell you why I think all of these problems are coming to the surface with V5.

Number 1. .....on the list is it was with out a doubt released too soon for what ever reason.

Number 2 ......Folks I don't think will ever be satisfied with V5 until they get at least 11 GB cards and in some cases newer CPU's.

Number 3.......Version 5 just does not like to chew on legacy software. It is just some how different this time around and I think that it has a lot to do with scenery more than anything else or at least it seems that way. Just because you can get it to load does not mean that your machine likes the way it tastes. Some of this is being caused by, for reasons I don't understand, many of our Dev's have simply not payed attention to LM's repeated warnings that they need to not have their programs running inside P3D and as new features are rolled out then there is going to be problems. It is good to see some Dev's have been coming around lately. The days of pounding in a slightly modified rebuild of a program into P3D with a 20 pound hammer are coming to an end. I think the same will be true for MSFS2020 .

Edited by shivers9

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Since day 1.  Just waiting for PMDG 737.  I have QW, CaptSim, Aerosoft Busess.  Lots of scenery all works without problems.

P3D v5 for 100% of flying this month. I kept v4.5 for security, but don’t plan to use it.

v5 is a great sim and i recommend it to anyone who has the hardware to run it.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Today I reinstalled V4.5 because I had enough of the problems of V5.

After using it for about 45 minutes i uninstalled V4.5 again. Turns out that I got used to V5 while using it and the realism that it seems to bring is great. 

The only thing I am doing now is adding KsimSaver to V5 in case of those CTD I have been getting and  I will await HF2 and the NGXu

AMD Ryzen 3800X 3.9 GHz Turbo up to 4.2 GHz

GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Windforce 11GB

32GB 3200MHz RAM 

1TB Crucial SSD & 1 500GB Crucial SSD

Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, CH Products Pro Pedals

Haven’t used 4.5 at all done installing 5 about three weeks ago. 

The wait for hotfix 2 is starting to kill me, though, since both the FSLabs and the NGXu are tied to it. 

Wish we had any indication as to when the hotfix will be released. It’s appeared to be imminent for like a week now. 

18 hours ago, Clutch Cargo said:

how did beta testers miss the blatant issues with default airports?

Beta testers have no say in what gets fixed before release. They only point out their findings.

• Like 1

I would be using 4.5 if I could share the same orbx library. V5 still on have good days and bad with it. Waiting for HF2 if not a big improvement will be uninstalled and 4.5HF3 installed unitil 5.1.  Had to install a 1080TI to run half well . Still have a RTX 2080 will sell one of them not sure which until to next HF 1 . Would keep the 2080 far better card just not enough vram for V5. Brought the 1080TI cheap on ebay.

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

8 minutes ago, cannow said:

I would be using 4.5 if I could share the same orbx library. V5 still on have good days and bad with it. Waiting for HF2 if not a big improvement will be uninstalled and 4.5HF3 installed unitil 5.1.  Had to install a 1080TI to run half well . Still have a RTX 2080 will sell one of them not sure which until to next HF 1 . Would keep the 2080 far better card just not enough vram for V5. Brought the 1080TI cheap on ebay.

Punctuation works wonders for readability. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flycln said:

Punctuation works wonders for readability. 

OK, boomer.

Though I think those “.” things count as punctuation.

Also, proper nouns - such as names - should be capitalised. So please change your username to “Flycin” prior to posting here again.

Thank you for your understanding and compliance in this important matter.

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."