Sign in to follow this  
LTCSZ

FS2004 Total Backup?

Hi Hans,

Yes, a complete clone backup to an external is useful, to be honest, I have never done that, in all my PC years. However..

Doing a FS2004 copy & paste has it's uses, & saves time when doing a quick sim replace or additional installs.

HD cloning has it's place, so does a free copy & paste.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

10 hours ago, Wobbie said:

Pleased it's working for you.. 

I'm also using the 'Testbed' method for testing different scenery types, such as FSScene, The Natural World, & Obyx FS2004 mods.

I also share scenery across different installs... in the scenery library of 1 install, I just add scenery from another install by pointing the library to another install. 

It's a pity that planes cannot be shared that way.  

I've also customised my installs by using different splash screens & interfaces.

Have a look what Mark Daniels has done here: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=78282089

Hi again Robin & All,

That link wouldn't work for me but I did find Mark Daniels offering on the Flight Sim site. Interesting interface:-)

FS9 certainly is a good bit of kit!

Regards,

Blue

7 minutes ago, Bluescaster said:

Hi again Robin & All,

That link wouldn't work for me but I did find Mark Daniels offering on the Flight Sim site. Interesting interface:-)

FS9 certainly is a good bit of kit!

Regards,

Blue

I should have checked, Just search for interface in the Fs2004 section..& you will find a few like this...

fs2004interface.gif

Edited by Wobbie

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

lets say that i get a new computer, i've made a backup as shown here, then copied and pasted the backup onto the new computer. I get that all the payware programs and sceneries would need to be re-installed but in that copy and paste of my backup all my payware programs are pasted as well. I imagine that the payware programs pasted wont just work (as has said here in the forumn) and that i would need to a re-install of that payware. Now, If i re-install the payware, are there conflicts and if so, will i get the option to merge folders, being able to "dont copy" same name files? The reason i ask is that i have made changes/modifications to just about all my payware sceneries and programs.

Also, is it strange that my fs9.cfg is located in C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9? I noticed my scenery cfg is there as well as my aircraft folder. If so when I copy and paste into a new computer, should i paste cfg into the same place (C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft/FS9) or in C:\Flight Simulator 9 folder where i thought it was supposed to be in?

thanks,

Chris.

Edited by chris41

Try without the cfg. As soon as the sim starts up, a new cfg is created.

No need to do anything with the scenery cfg. The scenery.cfg in the sim folder from the orginal that you copied over, should have sorted out your scenery libray, so your addon scenery should be intact, without readding anything.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

54 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Try without the cfg. As soon as the sim starts up, a new cfg is created.

I strongly would suggest to backup FS9.cfg too and paste it to its initial folder after first restart of FS9. You might have changed some settings, and  it could be quite anoying to loose them.   

Benard

This is true. It contains all your key assignments. If there is an issue, then you can delete it, and the sim will rebuild a new one. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...