Sign in to follow this  
sab12

What P3D System Monitoring Software Do You Use?

I am currently using P3Dv4.5 HF2 and planning to begin a gradual migration to v5 as developers release compatible versions. I went to P3D to get away from OOM's. In the past, if I have tweaked its been to get image quality and smoothness and not fps. I haven't bought V5 yet.

In following the posts about v5, I am seeing references to having to adjust P3D settings to manage Graphics card RAM to avoid, "out of" conditions, Windows 10 2004 graphics card RAM management changes, Nvidia drivers optimized for DX12, etc.  Even without intentionally overclocking my CPU and GPU, there are issues about with/without Hyperthreading, using available CPU turbo mode, Core affinity assignments, etc. and what they do sim performance like smoothness as well as to CPU and GPU temperatures. My recently acquired system has decent cooling but I don't want to inadvertently toast anything.

The monitoring I have seen is the fps display in P3D and Task Manager related CPU and VPU monitoring. In my experience (which admittedly is limited) every change to Task Manager settings pauses P3D and it doesn't monitor temperatures. I would like to have something I can park on my second monitor that will watch all of the key FS-related system performance metrics in P3Dv5 with minimal setting changes.

I don't know what P3Dv5 already provides. I am willing to use a reasonably priced payware solution.

Your experience and suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen Bickford

MSI Afterburner to monitor what's happening with the system while the sim runs.

HWiNFO64 for monitoring any and all temps your system may offer.

I also use Core Temp minimized always to the Notifications area to monitor CPU Package temp and Frequency.  Small foorprint, minimal resources, just the info I need (temp mainly) at a glance.

HTH,

Greg

Anvir Taskmanager, gpu-z and Core temp

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

@sab12

It would be helpful if you let people know what are your the PC specs. Don't get me wrong, monitoring software is not the first step.

Unfortunately there are so many adjustments that can be wrong starting from the bios before you get into the windows os.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

3 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Dynamic Texture Streaming does reduce performance a little but will save on VRAM

But I wish it only kicked in then it is needed. Both you and I have 24GB of VRAM, but that action kicks in way before it is even a third used up.

Here, when it operates, it causes flashing textures and, when it is cloudy, horrible zig zag diagonal lines. So, naturally, I turn it off.

I assume that these problems are due to be fixed in HF2?

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

2 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Why would you turn it on with 24GB VRAM?

I wouldn't, but it is on by default and that caught me out. And folks with 11 Gb VRAM cards are reporting it operating and causing the flashing problems well before it needs to there too.

Maybe P3D should detect how much VRAM there is and turn it off it it doesn't think there'll be a problem ... but if it has to do that it might as well check how much is left before operating anyway, as i suggested.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

2 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

The default to having "Dynamic Texture Streaming" enabled is probably due to the majority of users have 8GB or less VRAM.  Shift+Z does cycle VRAM usage, but don't know if Dynamic Texture Streaming can be turned On/Off during flight ... it may need to be either On or Off before entering flight screen.  Obviously as one flies the virtual world VRAM usage can fluctuate significantly (I've seen fluctuations as much as +/- 9GB) based on loading of 3rd party scenery/airports/AI etc.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, how did you manage to buy memory not in bulk and connect it? It's complicated ?

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

27 minutes ago, BMW969 said:

Rob, how did you manage to buy memory not in bulk and connect it? It's complicated ?

I believe he is running an RTX Titan.

As to the original post, usually nothing. I spent a couple hours tweaking, found a good sweet spot and I leave it at that. I am not about to fuss over 100mhz, 2fps more or less, if core 12 isn't being utilized as much as 6 etc etc etc. I would much rather spend my time in the sim, and I do. No issues on my end.

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

20 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Those are bulk (2000 units) DDR6 memory prices that would be available to nVidia/AMD (they likely get an even better deal since I know they buy more than 2000 units, a lot more). 

Sadly we (the consumer) can't just buy more VRAM and add it to the GPU, there is no technical road block just an nVidia/AMD profit road block.  We should have the ability to add more VRAM like we do with our PC's system RAM (this is NOT a technical challenge nor an expensive one).  It's not being done because AMD and nVidia have agreed NOT to do it and no one has challenged them on the legal front (not even sure it could be challenged).

Cheers, Rob.

Clear. Monopoly. So we can only use memory from a faulty video card.

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

Thanks for the monitoring software suggestions.  Already using GPU-Z and Core Temp and trying some of the task manager like apps.

Especially since amount of VRAM is now an issue, would be nice if you could add more to an existing GPU.....

Stephen Bickford

ProcessLasso to see what's happening on the system.  I have a Media Server that I forget to shutdown sometimes.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

ProcessLasso to see what's happening on the system.  I have a Media Server that I forget to shutdown sometimes.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060