Sign in to follow this  
MartinRex007

Mad Dog has left the sky's

"The once ubiquitous MD-88 aircraft known as the "Mad Dog" vanished from scheduled airline service Tuesday, marking the end of an era for the aircraft not just in the United States, but in most of the world."

Martin

The sky's just become less interesting. Again.

• Upvote 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

16 minutes ago, G550flyer said:

We still have the 717 for now.

Nah, not the same. Does the 717 have a slightly bizarre industrial cockpit with the compass behind the pilot that requires mirrors?

Among many other quirks.

https://youtu.be/7R0CViDUBFs

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

30 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Nah, not the same. Does the 717 have a slightly bizarre industrial cockpit with the compass behind the pilot that requires mirrors?

Among many other quirks.

https://youtu.be/7R0CViDUBFs

Pretty sure it does. Yeah it has a set of more modern panels, similar to the MD-11. But it's still has the same windows, same tiller, same Dial-A-Flap, same spoiler handle, same seating with two rows of seats on one side and one row on the other and probably a bunch of other things that are the same as the MD-80 series as well as the DC-9. Remember this is a Boeing in name only.

25 minutes ago, paulluck said:

Pretty sure it does. Yeah it has a set of more modern panels, similar to the MD-11. But it's still has the same windows, same tiller, same Dial-A-Flap, same spoiler handle, same seating with two rows of seats on one side and one row on the other and probably a bunch of other things that are the same as the MD-80 series as well as the DC-9. Remember this is a Boeing in name only.

It looks like an MD-11 in there to me. Which I like but it's nothing as interesting as an MD-80.

And as far as I'm concerned it's not a Boeing.

Edited by Jazz

5 hours ago, Jazz said:

Nope, but its in the same family. Still has the wingtip landing lights and body style. It was started as the MD95 until Boeing got their hands on it. The wing design still requires a high AOA to generate lift. On landing from a distance, it still has the family look.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jazz said:

It looks like an MD-11 in there to me. Which I like but it's nothing as interesting as an MD-80.

And as far as I'm concerned it's not a Boeing.

The 717 is to the MD80 as the MD11 was to the DC10. 717 and MD11 are more modernized versions before MD went under.

4 hours ago, G550flyer said:

The 717 is to the MD80 as the MD11 was to the DC10. 717 and MD11 are more modernized versions before MD went under.

I know 🤨

And it's not as interesting. In the same way that a Toyota Prius is not as interesting as an e-type Jaguar.

4 hours ago, Jazz said:

I know 🤨

And it's not as interesting. In the same way that a Toyota Prius is not as interesting as an e-type Jaguar.

I've been flying jets for over 20 years from the mighty C141B, KC10, DC10 to the classy Gulfstream 550. I find all aircraft interesting, especially in their design and performance. I remember stepping into the cockpit of a IL76 that was parked next to me. I didn't shy a way and say eww, I actually started asking questions. Their avionics. How they calculated performance data. If the jet is parked close enough, I'll take a peek. I find aircraft design interesting. Even when qualifying in a new aircraft, it's cool learning the systems and seeking to understand the whys. But, you have to be a true aircraft lover to see from that perspective. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, G550flyer said:

I've been flying jets for over 20 years from the mighty C141B, KC10, DC10 to the classy Gulfstream 550. I find all aircraft interesting, especially in their design and performance. I remember stepping into the cockpit of a IL76 that was parked next to me. I didn't shy a way and say eww, I actually started asking questions. Their avionics. How they calculated performance data. If the jet is parked close enough, I'll take a peek. I find aircraft design interesting. Even when qualifying in a new aircraft, it's cool learning the systems and seeking to understand the whys. But, you have to be a true aircraft lover to see from that perspective. 

What's your problem? You seem to be upset that I don't love all aircraft equally? I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about me and although I do have an interest in ALL aircraft some ARE more interesting than others. Just like people. Does the fact that you have been flying jets mean that what is interesting to you should be interesting to me? What was the point in even bringing that up? 🤨 And I too find aircraft design interesting which is exactly why I find the MD-80 more interesting than a 717. Is that alright with you, Captain?

The skys are less interesting when icons like the MD-80 are removed from it. And I don't have to be a clone of you to be a "true aircraft lover" either.

Arrogant......

This escalated quickly... and that's before I interjected about the F-35B being abhorrent to my sight and a waste of overdue and over-expensive money to our Royal Navy! 😵

Phew, it must be beer o'clock somewhere so we can calm down, or as some would say "cool our jets" ... jets... geddit?

I'll get me coat..

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

7 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

This escalated quickly... and that's before I interjected about the F-35B being abhorrent to my sight and a waste of overdue and over-expensive money to our Royal Navy! 😵

Phew, it must be beer o'clock somewhere so we can calm down, or as some would say "cool our jets" ... jets... geddit?

I'll get me coat..

It's a bit off looking to my eye, too, I must admit. I don't know about it being a waste of money but I do remember a Bird & Fortune sketch regarding the Navy, our new carriers, the F-35 and the 2012 olympics that was damned funny. Enjoy with your beer😉

https://youtu.be/t0jgZKV4N_A

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jazz said:

I do remember a Bird & Fortune sketch regarding the Navy, our new carriers, the F-35 and the 2012 olympics that was damned funny.

Thank you for the very funny link to a comedy sketch I had not seen yet. 😖

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator