Sign in to follow this  
FPStewy

VFR MOA flight planning question

I'm still learning and I'm trying to plan a flight with restrictions that takes me just north of HQM but this T257 has a 2900G/3700G but the MOA says that it excludes B1200AGL. My question is how can I fly at 2900G if the MOA only excludes B1200AGL

0EPUyng.jpg

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Hi!

I am not sure about the "VFR" in the title since you are showing an IFR chart and I guess that you are following the T257 airway under IFR.

For information, the MOA starts at 6000ft MSL (Main See Level) up to and excluding FL 180 as shown on the VFR chart (refer to Skyvector / "Seattle" tab on the top right).

The mention "EXCLUDES BELOW 1200 FT AGL" (Above Ground Level) applies to the MOA, not the airway. If you look at the VFR chart (bottom left corner), you will see some terrain on the eastern part of the MOA up to 5301 MSL. I believe that this is mostly where the note is relevant.

If you are flying along the T257 airway, the MEA (Minimum En-route Altitude) which is measured MSL (Main Sea Level) is 2900 ft south of WAPTO and 3700 ft north of it. The MEA  "assures acceptable navigational signal coverage and meets obstacle clearance requirements". Moreover, the "G" refers to the MEA of an aircraft utilizing RNAV (GPS to make it short).

Bear in mind that you may enter the MOA when active ("nonparticipating IFR" or VFR) but this wouldn't be wise (" Pilots operating under VFR should exercise extreme caution while flying within a MOA when military activity is being conducted." refer to AIM 3−4−5).

As a conclusion, let's say that you are flying north from COPLS along T257, you can use even numbers: 4000, 6000 (first level in the MOA), 8000,..., 16000 (last level in the MOA). Even numbers will be used on the way back (southbound).

For further details, you may refer to the FAA publications (there are free!):

- chart user manual (VFR and IFR): https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/aero_guide/media/editions/21May2020/cug-complete.pdf

- the AIM (3−4−5. Military Operations Areas): https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/media/aim_basic_chg_1_1-30-20.pdf

- the Pilot’s Handbook of  Aeronautical Knowledge (chapter 18 "Navigation") for the VFR flight planning: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/ifh_errata.pdf

Happy landings!

Edited by GearUp180

49 minutes ago, GearUp180 said:

you will see some terrain on the eastern part of the MOA up to 5301 MSL. I believe that this is mostly where the note is relevant.

ah yes I think I see now, and I'm in the process of reading the Chart user manual and your right it was IFR so the MOA would start at 6000MSL but if I'm VFR I would be allowed to goto 6200MSL. Thank you for the explanation.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

20 minutes ago, FPStewy said:

ah yes I think I see now, and I'm in the process of reading the Chart user manual and your right it was IFR so the MOA would start at 6000MSL but if I'm VFR I would be allowed to goto 6200MSL. Thank you for the explanation.

You are welcome.

In the case of a VFR flight, you might consider the Maximum Elevation Figure (MEF; refer to the user's manual pages 13, 14 and 54) for peace of mind.

You may fly 4500 ft MSL northbound between COPLS and OZETT via WAPTO. It places you :

on a VFR altitude (odd FL + 500 ft when going west - that's the semicircular rule),

- above the consecutive MEFs (1000, 2300, 3900, 1100 and 2400 ft),

- out of the MOA.

13 hours ago, GearUp180 said:

You are welcome.

In the case of a VFR flight,

Can I bother you for another question if it's not to much trouble.

In my learning journey, as I continue to understand and simming in airspace, I was watching a YT on "understanding airspace" and in all my readings I have still yet not found or determine the minimum Alt for VFR. Surely, even if I'm in Class G I can't be legally buzzing rooftops at 300FT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHju-2JeVEw

3 hours ago, FPStewy said:

Can I bother you for another question if it's not to much trouble.

No problem. It is nice to see someone with an interest of piloting rather than just the droplets on the windscreen, the runway slopes or the size of the trees...😉

3 hours ago, FPStewy said:

In my learning journey, as I continue to understand and simming in airspace, I was watching a YT on "understanding airspace" and in all my readings I have still yet not found or determine the minimum Alt for VFR. Surely, even if I'm in Class G I can't be legally buzzing rooftops at 300FT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHju-2JeVEw

Sorry I couldn't watch the entire 41 minutes video but based on his resume, I expect that this guy to know what he is talking about.

I suggest also this PilotEdge video. I know: it's 3 hours long but Keith is a real world CFI and the audience is simmers like you. 

In order to determine your altitude, you would have to take into account:

- the terrain

- if you are overflying a congested or not congested area. The US regulation (FAR) states in 91.119 (I spare you the helicopter part):

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

- the type of airspace in conjunction with the actual / forecast weather. You may refer to:

- the "Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge" / Chapter 15

- the airspace depiction on the VFR chart: chart user manual / pages 17 and  26

- which direction you are flying (semicircular rule mentioned above).

If you are looking for a more structured learning programs, you may consider joining an online network: IVAO, VATSIM or PilotEdge. The first 2 are free whereas the last one is subscription based but it's definitely worth the money. As far as I remember, you can pay per month so there is no reason not to try (and NO: I do not have share in this business). They all have great tutorials.