Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

Flight 1 or Reality XP (GTN and GNS)?

I have resisted the temptation to get any GA glass, but lately I have been considering the idea.  AIRAC navdata updating via Navigraph is important to me, as well as easy integration into various panels.  Would you please consider advising me of your choice, and more importantly, why you decided to pick one against the other? 

@Bert Pieke, if you stumble by this posting, I'd be obliged mate.

Ta- C

Edited by cavaricooper

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

19 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

AIRAC navdata updating via Navigraph is important to me

When you define something so specific as this then it appears as if.........

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

If you absolutely need updated AIRAC then the answer is neither. If that's a secondary need, then RXP.

• Like 3

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

21 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

Would you please consider advising me of your choice, and more importantly, why

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/576342-reality-xp-stay-at-home-sale/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

13 minutes ago, kiwikat said:

If you absolutely need updated AIRAC then the answer is neither. If that's a secondary need, then RXP.

How does one keep Navdata updated for the units?  I no longer maintain a RL Garmin subscription.

C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

22 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

How does one keep Navdata updated for the units?  I no longer maintain a RL Garmin subscription.

C

If you need to keep the Garmin navdata current, you need to have access to a Garmin subscription to update the Trainer.  This is not an F1 vs RXP question.. they both use the same Garmin Trainer to power their gauges.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 2

Bert

@Bert Pieke is there an annual update or something that can be purchased to keep it relatively updated? 

Which version have you done all your mod work for/ which version do you use?

Ta- C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Just now, cavaricooper said:

@Bert Pieke is there an annual update or something that can be purchased to keep it relatively updated? 

Ta- C

Relatively updated is a reasonable objective... you can purchase Garmin data, or like most of us, rely on Garmin to update their Trainer from time to time.

Even better, is if you know a RW Garmin owner who is willing to share expired navdata with you..

Personally, I started with the RXP GNS530, then added the Flight1 GTN750, since RXP was focused on XPlane at the time, and have now switched the GTN to the  RXP version also.  At $35 it is a steal IMHO.

• Like 4

Bert

Ta Bert- done.  Will probably check in with you for some integration tips if you can stand it 🙂

C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

13 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

With all the flying I do, in and out of numerous GA airports scattered around the USA, I have yet to find a fix or procedure that is missing in my databases after planning my flights at Fltplan.com, a real-world planning site that is up-to-date to the minute.  While nav data updates do clearly contain changes, the number is not great and your chances of a mis-match due to lack of an update is pretty slim.  It's much to do about nothing IMHO.

GTN database updates seem to come with new versions of the Garmin trainer, and that has been about once per year.  My experience is that RXP is first up to bat with a solid base hit after each Garmin trainer update. 

• Like 1

Frank Patton
ASUS 

1 minute ago, cavaricooper said:

Ta Bert- done.  Will probably check in with you for some integration tips if you can stand it 🙂

C

Do Bert a favor first and read through the previous posts in the forum(s).  Much has already been shared, much by Bert.  It may be there waiting for you if you dig a bit.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
ASUS 

RXP's support is heads and tails far better than Flight 1's.

I started with Flight 1 and switched to RXP because of support issues.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Don't wanna hijack this but my question is matching the OP anyway:  Waht is the difference between RXP product and F1?  Are they just different models of more or less the same thing, or do they have different and specific features?

3 minutes ago, Mgard78 said:

Don't wanna hijack this but my question is matching the OP anyway:  Waht is the difference between RXP product and F1?  Are they just different models of more or less the same thing, or do they have different and specific features?

Well. Do like I did.  Buy and use both, over time, and judge for yourself. Its the ultimate answer.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
ASUS 

4 minutes ago, Mgard78 said:

Waht is the difference between RXP product and F1?  Are they just different models of more or less the same thing, or do they have different and specific features?

Pretty well the same, but RXP does it much, much better at all levels (F1 was my original product until RXP went to P3D)

• Like 1

David Porrett