Hi All,

Paranoid again regarding my CPU temps. Ive got the Ryzen 3600X with the stock cooler, please can anyone answer the following questions:

1) I'm getting varied idle temps (35-45 under idle) is this normal?

2) When running P3Dv4.5 and in full flight, the temperature average is around 75c at full load, sometimes increasing briefly to around 79-80, would this class as normal?

3) Do these kind of temperatures under sustained amount of time (4/5 hour flights) cause damage to the CPU?

4) Are there any settings I can change that will maybe cool the CPU down a few degrees or are these temperatures normal?

Kindest Regards,

Alex

If you hit 85-90 its time to start worrying. The motherboard should switch itself off if it gets really hot around 120. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

I would consider looking into an aftermarket cooler and retire the stock cooler.  That should drop the temps by a good 5 degrees.  For example my i7-2700k hovers around 29 degrees at idle, low 70's when simming.  I've been using Noctua air coolers for years and they just work day-in, day-out. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

My i9-9900k runs at about 55 max in P3D. V4 and V5. I have most settings to ultra.

Hi All,

Thanks for the input. 

2 hours ago, darem said:

Completely harmless. Carry on flying.

That sounds like the best response, I think im over worrying, and it does effect the enjoyment of the sim.

1 hour ago, killthespam said:

Hi Alex, I know how to use Google thank you for your but as you can see by asking here I get more in depth and detailed answers.

1 hour ago, djbully said:

If you hit 85-90 its time to start worrying. The motherboard should switch itself off if it gets really hot around 120. 

It has never gone over 80C should I disregard my concerns and put it down to being overly cautious?

Cheers,

Alex

9 minutes ago, gronji2004 said:

It has never gone over 80C should I disregard my concerns and put it down to being overly cautious?

Cheers,

Alex

The temps you see are in the ballpark of the range I see with my overclocked Intel i7-8700K.

I.e. typically I'll see 70-75C in the sim during summer (higher ambient temps) and in winter 65-70C in the sim.  At idle is 28-32C.I have a Corsair h100i cooler in there right now.

I think you're ok, although I'm not familiar with normal Ryzen temps.  

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

6 hours ago, Mace said:

I think you're ok, although I'm not familiar with normal Ryzen temps.  

The temps are ok for Ryzen. A comparison temp could be obtained by running Cinebench R2.0 benchtest or 30 minutes. My target would be 75C max if it climbs higher than 75 quickly in the first few minutes then you need to assess your systems cooling capacity. The standard cooler on Ryzen is OK for "standard" tasks, flying a sim is considered a heavy load and you are doing it as you say for 4-5 hours, maybe your case setup +standard cooler is not helping airflow.

I personally would not want to see my CPUs at 80C for 4 to 5 hours (AMD or Intel). It will continue to work but the other thing high temp does is shorten the working life of the silicon.From my sig you can see I run a 12 core 3900X in my workload system. It uses a 280mm Corsair AIO cooler and only approaches 75C momentarily under load test. P3D flying it rarely cracks 60-62C over 2-3 hours.

9 hours ago, gronji2004 said:

1) I'm getting varied idle temps (35-45 under idle) is this normal?

What is the ambient temp? your 35C is fine I consider 45C at true idle too hot for a stock 3600X in a well ventilated case.

Make sure your use of 3rd party monitoring programs is minimised (preferably eliminated) whilst in sim.

In regard to your idle temp is it fluctuating in regular patterns?

I ask because there are a number of monitoring programs which probe the core sensors to extract info such as loads and temps. Ryzen reads this as activity on the core and speeds up (milliseconds wise) to respond to the request thus causing temps to rise briefly. Some board mfrs provided updated bios to attempt to address that behaviour. IIRC Hardware info was one of the big culprits but there are others. No need for monitoring software to be running in sim if you have properly confirmed your machine is stable beforehand.

Assuming you have a reasonable quality mobo with your Ryzen CPU, it can and will start to throttle automatically if temps rise too high, temp frequency and voltage can be easily viewed in Hardware info when load testing with appropriate programs (eg Cinebench and Prime 95). Another factor with most mobos today is that if you use their supplied auto overclock (eg 1 click OC) they invariably over volt by sometimes big margins which creates unnecessary heat.

Any system that gets too hot (consistently averaging 80C or over) running P3D is not properly specced and tuned for the load created with the sim + any number of addon programs - in my humble opinion.

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

I run a 3600 with an old as dirt Master Liquid 240 with some Noctua Fans set for 1200rpm in the fan control (i want quieter vs more cooling), stock bios settings on an x570 board besides the memory XMP profile. Ive been on here flying on FSE for the past 6 in P3DV5 hours while using photoshop to edit a paint I am working on this entire time as well...ambient temp in the house is about 75F. The stock 3600x cooler is ok for light stuff, throw something better on it and let it do it's thing. It will take care of you

NsLw8l3.jpg

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

11 hours ago, avi8tir said:

My i9-9900k runs at about 55 max in P3D. V4 and V5. I have most settings to ultra.

That information is usesless unless we know what kind of cooling system you use and whether you run it at stock speeds or overclocked.

I for one have just upgraded my mainboard and cpu and cooler but it seems to me that my old casing is not spacious enough to have sufficient airflow. When it is closed I average on about 90°C when P3D is running under VR.

When I open one side of the casing the average drops to 70°C.

Very interesting thank you guys.

I might look into getting an additional cooler. I only have space for 1 12mm ( i think ) fan on the rear of my case, and I have 2 inflow fans at the front. Can anyone recommend a cooler in this case?

I have a Gigabyte A320M-S2H MOBO, I presume thats good enough to ensure it shuts down when any dangerous temperatures are reached.

This is why I'm confused, many people are saying the temps are fine, others are saying its fine but prolonged it could be risky, others are advising a cooler, could this all just be personal preference and the answer is dependant?

Cheers,

Alex

16 minutes ago, gronji2004 said:

Very interesting thank you guys.

I might look into getting an additional cooler. I only have space for 1 12mm ( i think ) fan on the rear of my case, and I have 2 inflow fans at the front. Can anyone recommend a cooler in this case?

I have a Gigabyte A320M-S2H MOBO, I presume thats good enough to ensure it shuts down when any dangerous temperatures are reached.

This is why I'm confused, many people are saying the temps are fine, others are saying its fine but prolonged it could be risky, others are advising a cooler, could this all just be personal preference and the answer is dependant?

Cheers,

Alex

How are you running the two fans at the front? is it via a splitter as I noticed that mobo only has 2 fan headers, a single system one and a single cpu fan header.

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

22 minutes ago, CaptainNick said:

How are you running the two fans at the front? is it via a splitter as I noticed that mobo only has 2 fan headers, a single system one and a single cpu fan header.

HI Nick,

Yes with a splitter, I added an extra fan thinking it would help is that a bad move?

Cheers,

Alex

Just now, gronji2004 said:

HI Nick,

Yes with a splitter, I added an extra fan thinking it would help is that a bad move?

Cheers,

Alex

No, but you need to move out as much air as comes in, if you have no exhaust fans that is a major issue. Otherwise you are just pressurising (slightly) your case with the intake air that is heated by both the CPU and GPU and then can't escape.

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server