On 6/5/2020 at 5:46 PM, Gadget FPV said:

I believe Air Cooling is much better (...) than Water Cooling...

Good that you stated that this is just your belief, because it is not true. 

• Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

On 6/5/2020 at 11:18 AM, gronji2004 said:

I have 1 air exhaust fan at the back, which sit ideally right next to the output fan on the CPU. Would you suggest maybe disconnecting the 2nd fan I added and seeing any temp drops?

As long as you have reasonable ventilation at the rear, don't worry about two fans in and one out. A positive enclosure pressure is a good thing as it helps reduce dust ingestion. Ideally of course a balanced case pressure is optimal, but pretty much impossible to achieve in practice. Two fans in and one out is a pretty standard arrangement, in fact, in my Evolv TG I have two 140 mm fans as intake and one 140 mm fan as exhaust ans see an absolutely minimal dust build up and low enclosure temps.

On 6/6/2020 at 2:52 PM, gronji2004 said:

Right guys so its in! Them clips are hard work to secure the fan haha!

So using the AMD Ryzen stock cooler I was getting around 35-45 fluctuating idle temps. I now get on idle a steady 25 hardly any fluctuations.

P3D wise ... I was hitting 75-80 degrees flying, WOW, I now barely go above the 55-60 mark, absolutely incredible!

I can safely say my mind is now at rest with CPU temps, and thats with just 1 fan!

WOW!

Thanks everyone for their help and advice!

Glad you like the D15S... although you will find I'm its number one fan. 

You may be interested to know that two fans on the D15S or any air cooler makes minimal difference. Add a second fan and you will see a mere two degrees reduction in temperature, so hardly worth it. The velocity of the air passing through the heat sink remains the same with a second fan, all you do gain is a little extra static pressure, hence the two degrees reduction in temp.

In reality, the 80 degree CPU temp you were seeing under load wasn't that excessive, and pretty standard with a stock cooler. In theory, any increase in temp increases CPU degradation, but CPU life span is measured in thousands of hours, and 80 degrees, 30 degrees away from TJ Max isn't going to increase degradation to an unacceptable level,certainly not to a point were the chip would fail sooner than you would like. However... expected CPU degradation is hard to estimate, so we all objectively decide on a max temp we are comfortable with. For me, that temp is around 80 degrees. 80 degrees provides a nice comfortable margin. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 2:46 PM, GCBraun said:

Good that you stated that this is just your belief, because it is not true. 

But it IS true! 🙂

Air cooling IS better than water cooling.

And water cooling IS better than air cooling.

It's dependent on your needs. For example, a closed loop water cooler is better than air if you don't like the aesthetics of a big air cooler. Or you have a small form factor case and the big air cooler doesn't fit. Or if your objective is the ultimate cooling provided by a custom loop and you don't care about cost. 

Likewise, an air cooler has ZERO chance of leaks (admittedly not so common these days) and has no pump to generate noise or fail. The best air coolers are also cheaper than the best water coolers, so the air solution is better there too.

Both air and water have there pro's and con's. They are both better than each other in certain respects. 

For me... the D15S has no pump to fail, the minimal chance of leaks is eliminated completely, It's super quiet. Cools my CPU superbly. Enables me to overclock my delidded 8700K all the way up to 5 GHz if I wish. And its cheaper than a top of the range AIO that would be efficient enough to beat it. In short, its perfect for my needs and I have no need for an AIO or custom loop.

If others have different requirements then a water cooler is the solution for them. 🙂 

• Like 1

Many people panic when the temperatures get above 80C but I don't see it as a big deal.

When I OC my i9 9900k I want to make sure that it can run Prime95 Small FFTs (no AVX) for 15 min and the max core temperature doesn't get higher than 95C. Yes, 95C is a very high temperature but this is a thermal stress test. There is no other real workload in which it will get anywhere near there. Most of the times if the OC is badly done the PC will either crash or the temperatures will runaway until PC shutdown within the first few seconds from launching the test.

Running X-Plane 11 and live streaming it at the same time for 7 hours -a good real usage stress test for me- brings the MAX CPU temp to 81C and the average to 69C. My CPU is OC to 5.0 GHz, HT OFF and I am using a Noctua NH-U14S.

Edited by Alpha Floor

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I've not OC'd anytihng before as Im happy with the performance. 

Thanks for the info regarding the second fan, I think I'm going to pass!

I'm getting now a steady 65c MAX temp when on P3D in full load so I'm really happy with the results. The 80 degree temps I was reaching worried me slightly, hence reason for the upgrade.

18 hours ago, gronji2004 said:

I've not OC'd anytihng before as Im happy with the performance. 

Thanks for the info regarding the second fan, I think I'm going to pass!

I'm getting now a steady 65c MAX temp when on P3D in full load so I'm really happy with the results. The 80 degree temps I was reaching worried me slightly, hence reason for the upgrade.

I also have the D15S... awesome cooler. I have the Chromax black fans and black heat sink covers too. Looks great.

Nice thing is, if you haven't realised, the centrally mounted 150 fan, overlaps the heat sink. This is by design. It blasts air across the motherboard and thus cools the VRM's too. 🙂 

Hi Guys,

Quick question. I've been simming none stop for the last few weeks as you can expect. With the new cooler I've got the average temp was 65 MAX when running P3D under full load. I've noticed now its starting to increase with the average now again around 70 (sometimes). Is this normal?

Ambient temps have been much higher (and humidity) in the UK, will this play a big part on the overall temp of the CPU?

Or could I have installed the cooler wrong to allow temps to creep back up again?

Dont get me wrong they are boderline between 65-70 average on full load (as opposed to 80 before the install of my new cooler). But brand new out the box the cooler was keeping the cpu around the 60/65 mark.

Cheers,

Alex

3 hours ago, gronji2004 said:

Hi Guys,

Quick question. I've been simming none stop for the last few weeks as you can expect. With the new cooler I've got the average temp was 65 MAX when running P3D under full load. I've noticed now its starting to increase with the average now again around 70 (sometimes). Is this normal?

Ambient temps have been much higher (and humidity) in the UK, will this play a big part on the overall temp of the CPU?

Or could I have installed the cooler wrong to allow temps to creep back up again?

Dont get me wrong they are boderline between 65-70 average on full load (as opposed to 80 before the install of my new cooler). But brand new out the box the cooler was keeping the cpu around the 60/65 mark.

Cheers,

Alex

Ambient temperatures play a significant role in both idle and maximum temperature. The smaller delta between the ambient temperature and heat sink or radiator makes for less efficient cooling.

In the test results AIO and AIR results are included.

PS AMD not including stock coolers anymore.

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I would put it in lay mans terms you cannot lower your CPU temps lower than your room temps, you may lower your room temps with external cooling air con for example.

Raymond Fry.

Just so happens his latest vid how to run your PC below ambient temps at a cost.

If someone tells you they are running there CPU at 5.5ghz on AIO you know it`s @@@

Raymond Fry.