Sign in to follow this  
Maaarp

Considering SIMstarter NG

G'day everyone,

I'm looking at buying SIMStarter NG for use with P3D and was wondering if anyone else uses it and can give some general advice on if it's worth getting. I've bought quite a few bits and pieces of software lately and I feel that don't get the best use from them, so I don't want to add another one to the pile!

Thanks heaps

Warwick

Lorby SI, Addon Organizer.    Free.     Does many of the exact same things.       Simstarter is very good, but it has a lot of features I never bothered with.  

https://www.lorby-si.com/

• Upvote 2

I have it, its good, but i use lorby now.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful to know.

Cheers

3 hours ago, jhaley101 said:

Lorby SI, Addon Organizer.    Free.     Does many of the exact same things.       Simstarter is very good, but it has a lot of features I never bothered with.  

https://www.lorby-si.com/

You really can't compare this two tools. Lorby-Si Addon Organizer is a great tool, but it's an Addon Organizer only. SimStarter NG has so much more features plus an integrated Addon Organizer. For me it's a central tool to manage my whole Sim Installation, Addons, SimSettings, Liveries, Start Order, Monitoring Addon Installation, File Changes and much more.

So it depends on the use case:

Addon Organizer only -> go for Lorby-Si Addon Organizer

Full Sim Management Solution -> go for SimStarter NG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Regards, Andy

System: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.20 GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB; 16GB RAM, Full SSD, Prepar3D v4.5 HF3 @ 1920x1080

I have it and upgraded to the P3D version. It is a very powerful program but to me it is overly complicated and not at all intuitive. I guess the reason it comes with a 100 page user manual.
At least prepare to read up to get the maximum benefit out of it.

Cheers

Steve Hall

My very personal view: I know Simstarter since its early beginnings as a freeware. Later I purchased  the pro versions. The program has added so many features over the years that with every new version it cost me more and more time to configure it to my personal requirements. Because I haven't used it since v4.4/4.5 I won't install it for v5. I don't miss it so far.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I am not familiar with the above pay ware programmes, but if you want software merely to organise your scenery cfg in  FSX and P3D,

I highly recommend Andrew Thornton's  freeware scenery editor,  I have used this excellent for a number of years,  simple and easy

to use.

Thanks for raising that discussion. Yes, SIMstarter is not as easy as I would love to have it - it's a Configuration Manager with a lot of possibilities - that you can use or even not, depending on your requrirements. Including more features and complexity is often discussed in the BETA Team and we often struggle of integrating features that some of us need and love them. From every feedback I got its like - if you digged into the software you will never go without it. If you don't take your time you will open it - become overwhelmed, close it and never open it again. 😉

Yes the manual has become a "little bigger" with the aim to have a good manual (what I often miss in certain software). In addition see the support forum. Questions will answerd "quite soon" and solved "quite fast".

I made a YouTube Video walking trough SIMstarter NG P3D - so you can get an idea to use it:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

: : : aviation.pero-online.de
Developer of SIMstarter NG P3D & Homecockpit Builder

13 hours ago, Maaarp said:

G'day everyone,

I'm looking at buying SIMStarter NG for use with P3D and was wondering if anyone else uses it and can give some general advice on if it's worth getting. I've bought quite a few bits and pieces of software lately and I feel that don't get the best use from them, so I don't want to add another one to the pile!

Thanks heaps

Warwick

It's very easy to set up and you can create regional .cfgs that save loading times.

5 hours ago, MAHLER said:

I am not familiar with the above pay ware programmes, but if you want software merely to organise your scenery cfg in  FSX and P3D,

I highly recommend Andrew Thornton's  freeware scenery editor,  I have used this excellent for a number of years,  simple and easy

to use.

Has it been updated with P3D v5 support?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

There are two products:

• SIMstarter NG
    • supports FSX-P3D4.5 (not longer supported and not in sale any more)
  • SIMstarter NG P3D
    • supports P3D4.5 - P3Dv5 (Upgrade price until 30th of june)

Hope that answers your question.

: : : aviation.pero-online.de
Developer of SIMstarter NG P3D & Homecockpit Builder

I use it and find it very helpful. A few of the things I use it for:

• Setting affinity masks for P3d and and supporting applications e.g. ASP3d, Aivlasoft EFB, TrackIR, FFTF Dynamic.
  • Starting supporting applications when I start the sim and then closing them when I'm done.
  • Automatically switching to a "high performance" power scheme when I start P3d and reverting to a "balanced performance" scheme when I'm done.
  • I have various profiles with different levels of add-on and scenery active to help troubleshooting.
  • Finding and renaming clashing scenery files.

It's a deep product and definitely requires some research and effort to get it completely set up the way you want it, but I started with the basic stuff and then added more over time.

Alistair

• Like 2

All good comments.

I used Lorbi's Manager for the longest time; it's excellent.

I tried to use SimStarter quite a while ago and as Pero mentioned above, opened it, became overwhelmed, closed and removed it. Back to Lorbi.

With the new video Pero has produced, that all changed. I use SS exclusively now including the overwhelming capabilities that I pretty much understand now.

Let me give you an example.

Using SS, I can open P3D with a saved flight, start FSGRW, EFB Server, EFB client (with a 60 second pause to load P3D so EFB can 'see' the aircraft at the selected airport, and load EZCA all by clicking RunProfile. Once.

Oh, I forgot, all the apps above are started with custom core assignments as I'm running HT on on a 4770k. :>)

All the apps are closed at the end of the flight.

There is some serious programming going on here that I'm grateful for, at this price.

Pero, if you're looking at this, you might want to break up the 2.5 hour video into bite sized 8 minute chunks (research shows....attention span. The three dots represent what I left out that you can probably figure out yourself. I'm an instructional designer :>) Start with SceneryManager as this is what most folks I assume are using Lobi for, and go from there.

Looking forward to learning even more about this great program.

Cheers,

Mark

• Upvote 1