Sign in to follow this  
Shomron

ORBX Vector released for v5

Was not expecting this as they stated they don't plan to port it over to v5.

• Like 5

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

They probably realised that the new default dataset is at least globaly not half as good as they expected it to be.

2 minutes ago, CaptainNick said:

Seems like a port of the old Vector by the looks of the description on their website.

Except they state that it fixes two major issues - 1. airport elevations and 2. Duplicate airports because of ICAO codes. Enough in itself to load up the free upgrade for existing owners/users.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

5 minutes ago, Uteman said:

Except they state that it fixes two major issues - 1. airport elevations and 2. Duplicate airports because of ICAO codes. Enough in itself to load up the free upgrade for existing owners/users.

I read it as, they removed the elevation changes from Vector because the "stock" P3D data was better, and they will not be using the vector placement of airports...Which would leave us with the vector coast lines and roads....I dunno. Seems a bit of a confusing release if the Stock data is technically newer and more accurate...though I guess it would work better with the older FTX regions or open LC's...

From their blurb: "

The main difference to the original version of Vector is the removal of the adjusted airport elevations for default airports. This component is not compatible with Prepar3D v5, which uses current and more accurate layouts compared to the original Vector database. Moreover, hundreds of airport ICAOs have changed in Prepar3D v5, which would cause duplicate airports to be displayed at those locations when using Vector’s airports.    

• Like 2

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

There seems to be no manual elevation correction facility available now in the download. I wonder if it's built to be automatic or something.

Best regards.

Malcolm

sorry nick you just got in there before me!🙂👍

Edited by rooster hancock 2003

Malcolm Hancock

"Technically newer and more accurate" do not necessarily go together. As is clearly explained, the Vector data in P3D v5 is surprisingly flawed in places. Airport elevations are no longer a part of Vector for P3D v5 and therefore any elevation anomalies encountered cannot be caused by or fixed by Vector.

• Upvote 1

While there has been an improvement in base data in v5, things such as motorways (/freeways) going over mountains instead of through tunnels, missing lakes and inaccurate coastlines made me wish for Vector for v5. Well, lucky us, because here it is.

A nice surprise this morning.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

2 hours ago, rooster hancock 2003 said:

There seems to be no manual elevation correction facility available now in the download. I wonder if it's built to be automatic or something.

It's because the airport altitude is now defined by the LAST airport definition (since V4.5 HF2).

So there is (at last) no more altSubs needed (old FS strange choice !)

I suppose this modification was necessary for sloped runway...

One may add that ICAO changes are still not addressed... 😉

Gérard

to me I'm not sure If I'll even put my vector back on for V5.  The current "vector" data is good enough that I wouldn't accept a performance penalty for installing vector.  Guess the jury is out. 

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Does it return traffic to secondary roads and streets?

Ian S

38.jpg

I'm kind of skeptical about installing vector for v5. Seems like more harm than good. Too many add-ons already. It seems endless. I wish all this was already included in the core P3D, like how MSFS 2020 is doing.

Edited by captain420
  • Upvote 2

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I could care less about msfs.  However I agree with you about one more addon. Not sure I’ll load this in 

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

38 minutes ago, micstatic said:

The current "vector" data is good enough that I wouldn't accept a performance penalty for installing vector. 

Honestly, it should be the opposite: thanks to Vector, you can basically disable road traffic on primary, secondary and tertiary roads. You can even disable secondary and tertiary roads. The configurability of Vector should easily make it possible to have actually better performance than without. Of course, if you install Vector to just bluntly turn everything on, you might have a performance penalty...

To me, I willingly take those tunnels and brigdes from FTX Vector and the possibility to disable road traffic on secondary roads and totally get rid of tertiary roads. Only thing that I do not like compared to the default stuff: those sandy beaches and riverboards in FTX Vector do look actually worse than default in my eyes. The coasts otherwise look way better, as they are not just straight lines but more detailled.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

The ORBX team never ceases to amaze me.

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.