Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Long haul flights, do you really sit there for 14 hrs?

I will do a SYD-SIN or HKG-SYD or a MEL-MNL real time.

Only if no one is home and I am doing a full clean of the house. I can go into and out of the study every 20 minutes.

I did a real time SIN-SYD yesterday pushing at the same time as the real aircraft on the same flight plan which was fun, but I did a heap of stuff around the house and really only sat back in front of the computer earnestly about 20 minutes prior to TOD.

So about 8 hours real time daylight hours is my limit if I am meaningfully employed elsewhere with jobs!

Right now I am doing in real time a CX2022 freighter B748 MEL-HKG (that operated yesterday) and about to cross the AMN (Ambon) VOR.

Pre COVID, I may only do this once or twice a year but currently, I have done a few!

It is also nice to know that you have zero PC issues, given doing flights like this invites CTD’s. 

Mark

Time compression utterly defeats the point for me. If I do long haul it's because I have plenty of time and it fits in with the other things I want to do that day. I normally catch up on some work, films, TV shows, reading or even some exercise. I don't just sit there staring at decreasing numbers. That really would seem like a waste of life to me.

I have also been known to take-off and go to bed. Although that doesn't happen anymore. Well, it won't when I'm back up and running.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Speaking of IFR long halus, another cheater here. For PMDG DC-6 and Aerosoft DC-8, I use time compression (2x or 4x). I need to manage fuel or update the INS (or tune NAV radios if I use them for flying - not really possible anymore over Europe). I usually sit in front of my desk, check the aircraft from time to time and play a guitar, read a book, watch a film ...

Speaking of other aircraft than the aforementioned two (some A2A or Milviz GA aircraft, Aerosoft Bus or Mjc Q400) - I see no reason to fly long flights in them. I tend to keep the flights up to 90 minutes. One of the most entertaining flights I've done recently in Aerosoft A318 was from London Biggin Hill to London City 😄 .

Edited by emko

Pre 2020- seldom sit in sim watching generic landclass on long flights with boring weather visuals, either x4 or go and do something else 

post 2020- likely to be sat entire flight watching the photo scenery and developing weather !

22 hours ago, Doug47 said:

Only tedious if you’re flying a boring button pushing airplane like the 777, 744, 787 etc...Which is why I prefer the classic 747’s, 707, DC-10 with INS nav.

Which products are these please?

spacer.png

5 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

..and L-1011 have just been updated for p3d v5. I’m going to try them out this afternoon....

Really interested in your findings. I had no luck with it. Very well possible I just don't know how to do it, though.

Karl

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

5 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

..and L-1011 have just been updated for p3d v5. I’m going to try them out this afternoon....

Really interested in your findings. I had no luck with it. Very well possible I just don't know how to do it, though.

Karl

All flights real time. For flights over about 5hr, will not sit in front the whole time but even on the 12hr+ flights, all real time. 

Eric 

Oh I cant do a long hours real time.  I fly "fake" routes no longer than 3 hours in my PMDG748 or QW787, like CYYZ>KBOS.  I just call them charters.

Edited by Boomer

spacer.png

1 hour ago, kaha said:

Karl

Gave the one-eleven a quick fly. It's certainly "classic" - but not sure that it's up to modern standards. Based on a very brief test, I don't think I'd recommend this plane to others.

I'm back to the Maddog atm, not as old-school as the one-eleven but an infinitely better aircraft to fly in-sim.

Edited by OzWhitey
  • Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

1 minute ago, OzWhitey said:

Gave the one-eleven a quick fly. It's certainly "classic" - but not sure that it's up to modern standards. Based on a very brief test, I don't think I'd recommend this aircraft to others.

Thank you. Did you also test the Tristar in V5?It can cross the Atlantic and using the INS that wiould be nice for long haul flights.

Karl

I'll tell you all my personal story regarding this particular question. I always do real time flights. Have never even tested any sort of time compression and will never do either. If I don't have the time to do a 14Hr flight, I will simply not do it. Hence, I have never made a flight of that length. I have, however, on occasion made quite long flights of maybe up to 8 hours. Do I look at the instruments all the time? Absolutely not. 

Back in the day (which for me is before I became a father for the first time the 24th of december 2014) I used to have plenty of time to do long flights. My wife, working as a traveling salesman, was sometimes out of town leaving me with evenings all by my self. What I usually did on those evenings (when not studying as I was working to become a senior consultant in endodontics) was flight sim. I made all the pre-flight chores. Took the plane up to flight level. Then engaged the auto-pilot (ehrm, or rather left the aircraft to the second crew managing the cruise) and enjoyed the in-flight entertainment. 

What was this "in-flight-entertainment"? you might ask. For some reason I have never really understood myself I started watching a british show called "Time Team" which for those of you not in-the-know was an excellent show revolving around english archaeology. It was narrated by "Baldric" (Tony Robinson) and I begun to absolutely love that show. I watched all twenty (yes. Twenty) seasons while in the virtual air. The show sparked an almost unhealthy interest in history and archaeology and I was really saddened when the show got cancelled (the show ran from the mid nineties to 2013!). Shows of that type simply is not made anymore. (Don't get me started about the downright retarded garbage one can 'enjoy' on TV these days).  

These days though, being a father of two wonderful boys, I don't have the time for long-haul flights. The wife obviously don't want to be away from home as much before either. The little time I have now when the kids are sleeping and the wife is working on some of her hobby projects I usually spend reading history, trying to learn C-programming or just playing around with Linux on my computers (big fan of minimalism and suckless software).But now I feel I'm just babbling. 

TL;DR: Naaah. Ain't nobody got time for them there long haul flights.  

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

I just have a beer.....

and another one....

watch some nature movies ......

have another beer ... 

another nature movie ..,...

Step climb.....

Another beer....

check Avsim .....

another beer...

Crossfeed valve open....

another beer....

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, rob0203 said:

I just have a beer.....

and another one....

watch some nature movies ......

have another beer ... 

another nature movie ..,...

Step climb.....

Another beer....

check Avsim .....

another beer...

Crossfeed valve open....

another beer....

Haha!

So true. And then make a royal mess of the landing. 

• Like 1

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Like what used to happen in the real world. Fly over night west to east. For example Virgin from Las Vegas to London overnight. Go to bed and wake up for the descent.