Hello

I have been really interested in building my own free head tracking gear. I thought i finalized the deal yesterday but encountered some serious issues with camera failing to focus on LEDs only. I previously put a thin layer of old photo films ( was a totally opaque thing) and it didnt work. I then removed that thing and using camera without any visible light filter.  Also  i realized that the dimensions of the track clip was totally wrong. I just did a random cut to resemble the real thing. i  actually dont even know that if it's an issue or no. 

Here are some pictures below of what i did so far. currently im not using any visible light blocking thing. Do i have to re-build the track clip with smaller dimensions ? and do i  really need a visible light blocking filter ? Currently i dont have a floppy disk at home nor i could find it at any local store so far. I ordered some online. 

need advices to correct this all.

Materials i used to build this stuff

Some sturdy cardboard for the track clip

30 ohm resistor

Electric tapes

PS3 eye camera with removed IR filter

3x TSAL6400 IR LED 

1x Battery box with on-off switch

2x AA batteries 1.5 volts each

16F8vTg.jpg0IgKXa1.jpgwnrLB7O.jpg

Intel Core i5 9600K 4.7GHZ / MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus / MSI Nvidia RTX 2060 Super Ventus GP OC / Corsair 2X8GB DDR4 3200MHZ RAM / Corsair MP510 480GB M2 SSD / Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 RGB

It's definitely worthwhile putting some old exposed photographic film in front of your camera lens to cut out some of the visible light. Also, it looks from the camera image that the camera is picking up some stray light sources/reflections from above your head. If the software sees more points than the number of LEDs you're using, it won't lock on properly. Make sure that background behind you is as free from light sources or shiny surfaces as possible. I assume you're using a driver for your PS3 Eye camera like the CL Eye Driver (https://codelaboratories.com/downloads)? If so, you can adjust the gain and exposure to remove most stray reflections.

Also, I'd be tempted to use Opentrack rather than FaceTrackNoIR as I've found it more responsive, it's updated more often and has more options (and it's completely free): https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/releases/tag/opentrack-2.3.11. I haven't specifically tried head tracking with P3D but I'm pretty sure you need to use FSX Simconnect as the Game Protocol (or Output in Opentrack) rather than FreeTrack. There's a basic setup video here for Opentrack (just remember to use FSX Simconnect): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN-CD1MDe4Y

Edited by vortex681
  • Like 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

In my built (similar to your headset) I used the magnetic media disc in floppy disk as the filter.

Also each led was filed down from cone shape to flat shape to increase the

exposure sensitivity for the camera to catch the led position.

Hope these help.

yep sorted out all. Thanks for advices.

• Like 1

Intel Core i5 9600K 4.7GHZ / MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus / MSI Nvidia RTX 2060 Super Ventus GP OC / Corsair 2X8GB DDR4 3200MHZ RAM / Corsair MP510 480GB M2 SSD / Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 RGB