Sign in to follow this  
waleed

How do I save Key assignments in control?

I have my own assignments, which include deleting almost all and reassigning my own for my throttles, side stick, and rudders.

They are deleted sometimes when I install new software, and it is a headache to say the least, so I was hoping someone would guide me as to how to save the assignments for the next time I install something that deletes them.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Waleed N

I changed my modded Standard.xml file properties - attributes to "Read-Only", works perfect.

• Like 1

After setting up my key settings etc I save a copy of the standard.xml somewhere safe then I can replace it when necessary. I even copy the file into new installed versions of P3D with no issues so far.

• Like 1

Asus Maximus Hero XI , i7-8086, 16 Gb RAM, nVidia GTX 1080 ti

Perfect gentlemen, thanks for the help.

Waleed N

In p3d, to save controls (keys, controllers):

options -> key assignments -> export.

Then you just use options -> key assignments -> import to reload your file if anything ever goes wrong.

The control files are stored in documents/prepar3d v5 files, you could back up your saved xml files if you really wanted to, but there is really no need.

Simple.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

55 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

n p3d, to save controls (keys, controllers):

Then you just use options -> key assignments -> import to reload your file if anything ever goes wrong.

This works like a charm.

I have saved control options for all my planes, especially those using yoke controls versus joystick controls (Airbus vs Boeing, and many GA different planes).. Also can knock out/delete default axis / button controls for specific planes where I use FSUIPC for finer control, like dampen brakes, or lower sensitivity on elevator axis, using curves.

Trick is not to forget to import the appropriate control profile when changing planes. I have been caught out pulling back on the yoke on takeoff after last flying a Boeing, in an Airbus and wondering why I am careering down the runway with no lift (doing those FLTCTRL checks on the checklists always helps!)

Rob

Robin Harris

52 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

In p3d, to save controls (keys, controllers):

Do you import your key assignments every time you load any aircraft?  It looks like this might be the only way to work in future. As far as I can see with P3D5 hf1 The standard control assignments are reloaded every time a new aircraft, or even a new livery is selected. And of course it also happens every time P3D5 is reloaded. There no longer seems to be any way to avoid this happening. How could LM think this was a good idea?

Making the standard.xml file Read Only seems to have no effect within P3D, where almost any change to anything now results in default control settings being reloaded.

Edit: I think geolpilot has confirmed the need to export/import assignments. How ridulous that LM has not built in a simple 'Save' function for controls settings.

John B

This had always been super annoying since even v4

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

14 minutes ago, Biggles2010 said:

Edit: I think geolpilot has confirmed the need to export/import assignments. How ridulous that LM has not built in a simple 'Save' function for controls settings.

No, if you change your controls they are automatically saved - unlike earlier sims (FSX), this is much improved. But if you’ve run in to a problem, export your controls and then reimport and see if the settings persist.

Geopilot is talking about the option of importing different profiles for different planes. 

If your sim really is resetting controls you might have a problem with your install or settings? I am on HF1 and this doesn’t happen.

Edited by OzWhitey
  • Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

10 minutes ago, Biggles2010 said:

Do you import your key assignments every time you load any aircraft? 

No, only if I am going to fly a totally different plane with a radically different control setup.

The control profile imported for a session, say on an Airbus, is saved automatically to the standard control file. So next time, if flying an Airbus again, I can simply carry on. But if changing to a Boeing (PMDG or QUALITYWINGS) and I want to use my Saitek Yoke not Joystick, I import a new profile, that will "stick" as long as I say with the Boeings. This also avoids clashing/duplicating assignments if you are using a Joystick on some planes and a Yoke on others. Plus the added advantage of having backups for various control settings. Used with FSUIPC my method also gives one a lot of "control" over fine tuning control settings for various planes.

Is really takes only a few clicks to change control profile, and only when using a very different plane.

Rob

• Like 1

Robin Harris

24 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

If your sim really is resetting controls you might have a problem with your install or settings? I am on HF1 and this doesn’t happen.

I can't see that there's anything wrong with the installation. I was testing on my desktop pc, a clean installation of P3D5 HF1 with no addons of any kind. I had just spent some time experimenting, out of curiousity, before I posted.  I found if I amended keyboard settings by deleting a series of key commands under 'Mouse Yoke' the deletions were only held until a different aircraft or livery was selected. Any such change resulted in all defaults being re applied. In one instance it occurred with a change of view from cockpit to outside and back. This would be a disaster with my sim pc which runs a complex setup. There I use FSUIPC exclusively for controls, with some 200 button and switch commands set up, with multiple input cards, so it's essential to have defaults deleted as far as possible to avoid conflictions.

I have had some issues with the sim pc on upgrading from P3D3 to 4.5, but the majority of default control assignment deletions seem to have stayed deleted. Currently I am just testing P3D5 for suitability but will not be using it for the sim until LM get more of the problems sorted. In the meantime thanks to yourself and geo pilot for some useful information.

• Like 1

John B