Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

What are the biggest VRAM killers?

I guess I would ask why are people with the same hardware not getting a ton of ctds?  I’m not. My theory is frame locking to 30 and reasonable settings 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I have downloaded V5 but will not install it yet until I have upgraded my system in a fcouple of months time.
Are those of you that are are having CTDs etc getting them in the bog standard vanilla installation? If not then how do you know that it is not an add on that is causing the issues (including high VRAM usage)? Just because the add ons worked ok in 4.5 doesn't necessarily mean that they will play nicely in V5.

Edited by cowpatz

Cheers

Steve Hall

19 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Some of your other posts elsewhere would indicate your statement to be false. 

I'm not sure how CTDs are related to money spent on hardware?  Your level of frustration and hence you posting would seem to indicate you do care ... I was just curious if you are interested in solutions?

Cheers, Rob.

Appreciate the offer, and apologize as my frustration was misdirected. I came in harsh and actually do appreciate everything you do for the flightsim community, but I'm done. I just want to get back to flying, and not endlessly troubleshooting.  P3Dv4.5 was extremely stable, and arguably the most stable this platform has ever been. Since moving to v5, my settings have been severely diminished, with maybe, ever so slight performance gains, yet, I haven't even been able to do any real flightsim since release. Some occasional short GA hops, but anything study level, forget it, CTD, time wasted, over it.

I'll keep monitoring the forums, and if LM ever decides to fix this unstable, latent pos, then I'll be back. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

A person who wants to fly a plane in vfr, and who buys with good intention prepar3dv5, is obliged to learn computer science. something as if they told you that to drink a soft drink you have to learn chemistry.
It is not fair, and I am very sorry that they make money selling something that is NOT FINISHED.
In Spain, it is called scamming.

there is no another way to say it. it sounds always bad. but its the true. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Agree the P3D V5 had some issues on initial release, HF1 fixed some of the those issues, HF2 will fix more issues and V5.1 will move TrueSKY out of Beta status and open the door to better real world weather depiction.

I was able to solve all my CTDs, some required 3rd party updates, others environment changes on my side (remove the SimConnect.cfg in my documents folder) including taking my GPU OC down a notch from 175Mhz offset to 100Mhz offset. 

I certainly understand the frustration but in my case I was able to find solutions.

Cheers, Rob.

Also, I'm not sure if you or others have noticed, but while running P3D and applications along side, like Google Earth, or accessing fsuipc in sim, there is incredible flickering going on. Do you know what that is? 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I maybe overthinking this but why did LM reduce the return policy from from 60 days to 14 days. Cynical me says because they were aware V5 was not ready for prime time and to avoid a large number of returns. We will see when you add up the fixes in HF1 and HF2. Strikes me as an odd change at this time in P3D’s life cycle and suggests a lack of confidence in their release.

howevr

Well that's good news. 

3 hours ago, SolRayz said:

Appreciate the offer, and apologize as my frustration was misdirected. I came in harsh and actually do appreciate everything you do for the flightsim community, but I'm done. I just want to get back to flying, and not endlessly troubleshooting.  P3Dv4.5 was extremely stable, and arguably the most stable this platform has ever been. Since moving to v5, my settings have been severely diminished, with maybe, ever so slight performance gains, yet, I haven't even been able to do any real flightsim since release. Some occasional short GA hops, but anything study level, forget it, CTD, time wasted, over it.

I'll keep monitoring the forums, and if LM ever decides to fix this unstable, latent pos, then I'll be back. 

My sentiments exactly.

Vic green

2 hours ago, howevr said:

I maybe overthinking this but why did LM reduce the return policy from from 60 days to 14 days.

You are correct - you are overthinking this  (IMHO..) 😉

• Like 1

Bert

8 hours ago, SolRayz said:

Are you sure about that? I have no issues with any other piece of software, game, stress test. So try again...

Never had issues with FSX , P3Dv1 , PeDv2, P3Dv3, P3Dv4 and P3Dv5 and it is installed on 2 pc's....

If the software is to blame then we ALL would have issues... but that is not the case..

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

6 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Never had issues with FSX , P3Dv1 , PeDv2, P3Dv3, P3Dv4 and P3Dv5 and it is installed on 2 pc's....

If the software is to blame then we ALL would have issues... but that is not the case..

So...you have NEVER had ANY issues...ok.

So I finally was able to muster out one more long haul flight and experienced a total degradation of performance as the flight went on. This has been reported in the LM forums multiple times now. So one more issue to add to the pile...and I'm not the only one. 

1 hour ago, SolRayz said:

So...you have NEVER had ANY issues...ok.

So I finally was able to muster out one more long haul flight and experienced a total degradation of performance as the flight went on. This has been reported in the LM forums multiple times now. So one more issue to add to the pile...and I'm not the only one. 

Sorry for you and others who are having issues. But like me there are many who also don't have issues..

That P3D taxes the system near to its max. It is the combination of the stability of the hardware plus the stability of the total used software that makes up the stability of system.

And although it might be good enough for many games and even benchmarking. It might be not good enough for P3D.

Several years ago I OCed my system using benchmarks and it ran perfectly. However, when using P3Dv3 it would crash. So I dialed back 100 mhz and that was enough to have a good stable flightsim system.

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 3

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

9 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I was able to solve all my CTDs, some required 3rd party updates, others environment changes on my side (remove the SimConnect.cfg in my documents folder) including taking my GPU OC down a notch from 175Mhz offset to 100Mhz offset

Rob,

could yo explain what the issue is with the SimConnect.cfg in the document folder. Thanks!

Ruediger

18 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

V5.1 will move TrueSKY out of Beta status and open the door to better real world weather depiction.

That's when I call the movers to move from 4.5 to 5.1. Not before. 

Eric 

19 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

... I was able to solve all my CTDs, some required 3rd party updates, others environment changes on my side (remove the SimConnect.cfg in my documents folder) including taking my GPU OC down a notch from 175Mhz offset to 100Mhz offset.  ...

Where exactly should this SimConnect.cfg be? I've checked "C:\Users\Name\Documents",  "C:\Users\Name\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Files" and  "C:\Users\Name\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons". No such file. From where would it come from?

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).