Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

What are the biggest VRAM killers?

2 hours ago, howevr said:

I maybe overthinking this but why did LM reduce the return policy from from 60 days to 14 days.

You are correct - you are overthinking this  (IMHO..) 😉

• Like 1

Bert

8 hours ago, SolRayz said:

Are you sure about that? I have no issues with any other piece of software, game, stress test. So try again...

Never had issues with FSX , P3Dv1 , PeDv2, P3Dv3, P3Dv4 and P3Dv5 and it is installed on 2 pc's....

If the software is to blame then we ALL would have issues... but that is not the case..

• Like 1

Gerard

7940x ( 14 cores ) : 8 cores @ 4.8 - 6 cores @ 4.0 Ghz - Gigabyte X299 Gaming 7 - 32 Gb G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz Cl 14 - Gigabyte GTX 2080 TI Windforce OC @1920 Mhz - 1x SSD M2 1800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 43” Sony 4K tv's in NVSurround

8700K : all 6 cores @ 5.0 GHz - Asus ROG 370 - 16 Gb 4000 MHz @ 3600 Mhz - Gigabyte GTX 2080 Windforce OC @ 1900 Mhz - 1x SSD M2 1800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - 1x 55” Sony 4K tv

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

6 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Never had issues with FSX , P3Dv1 , PeDv2, P3Dv3, P3Dv4 and P3Dv5 and it is installed on 2 pc's....

If the software is to blame then we ALL would have issues... but that is not the case..

So...you have NEVER had ANY issues...ok.

So I finally was able to muster out one more long haul flight and experienced a total degradation of performance as the flight went on. This has been reported in the LM forums multiple times now. So one more issue to add to the pile...and I'm not the only one. 

MUUV7Ax.png?1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SolRayz said:

So...you have NEVER had ANY issues...ok.

So I finally was able to muster out one more long haul flight and experienced a total degradation of performance as the flight went on. This has been reported in the LM forums multiple times now. So one more issue to add to the pile...and I'm not the only one. 

Sorry for you and others who are having issues. But like me there are many who also don't have issues..

That P3D taxes the system near to its max. It is the combination of the stability of the hardware plus the stability of the total used software that makes up the stability of system.

And although it might be good enough for many games and even benchmarking. It might be not good enough for P3D.

Several years ago I OCed my system using benchmarks and it ran perfectly. However, when using P3Dv3 it would crash. So I dialed back 100 mhz and that was enough to have a good stable flightsim system.

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 3

Gerard

7940x ( 14 cores ) : 8 cores @ 4.8 - 6 cores @ 4.0 Ghz - Gigabyte X299 Gaming 7 - 32 Gb G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz Cl 14 - Gigabyte GTX 2080 TI Windforce OC @1920 Mhz - 1x SSD M2 1800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 43” Sony 4K tv's in NVSurround

8700K : all 6 cores @ 5.0 GHz - Asus ROG 370 - 16 Gb 4000 MHz @ 3600 Mhz - Gigabyte GTX 2080 Windforce OC @ 1900 Mhz - 1x SSD M2 1800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - 1x 55” Sony 4K tv

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

9 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I was able to solve all my CTDs, some required 3rd party updates, others environment changes on my side (remove the SimConnect.cfg in my documents folder) including taking my GPU OC down a notch from 175Mhz offset to 100Mhz offset

Rob,

could yo explain what the issue is with the SimConnect.cfg in the document folder. Thanks!

Ruediger

7 hours ago, Ebertr said:

could yo explain what the issue is with the SimConnect.cfg in the document folder. Thanks!

It triggered a CTD with A2A, PMDG, Maddog, AS 330 but only for V5 not for V4.5.x.

Important to note .cfg and NOT .xml or .ini.  

I have a thread somewhere on AVSIM where I covered this issue I was having.

Other DEVICE HUNG and CTDs were solved by dropping my GPU OC down 75Mhz.

Cheers, Rob.

18 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

V5.1 will move TrueSKY out of Beta status and open the door to better real world weather depiction.

That's when I call the movers to move from 4.5 to 5.1. Not before. 

Eric 

3 minutes ago, B777ER said:

That's when I call the movers to move from 4.5 to 5.1. Not before.

Don't forget to give 3rd party time to update if needed.

Cheers, Rob.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

... I was able to solve all my CTDs, some required 3rd party updates, others environment changes on my side (remove the SimConnect.cfg in my documents folder) including taking my GPU OC down a notch from 175Mhz offset to 100Mhz offset.  ...

Where exactly should this SimConnect.cfg be? I've checked "C:\Users\Name\Documents",  "C:\Users\Name\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Files" and  "C:\Users\Name\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons". No such file. From where would it come from?

- Harry J.

i7-7820X (@4.8 GHz), 32GB RAM (@3467) 2080Ti (3440x1440), SSD 500GB, (Win10x64),  SSDs 1+2 TB (P3Dv5.x + ORBX). FSGlobalNG (mesh), ORBX (Global+OLC, all FTX Regions, all TE products, many Airports), DDscenery (NY, CH, MIA), Airports (FT, FB, FSDT, AS); PMDG (737, 747, 777), MJC DQ400, RA Piston Duke, A2A C172. Weather ASP5. F1 GTN complete. AI Traffic: AIG OCI

1 minute ago, Nemo said:

Where exactly should this SimConnect.cfg be? I've checked "C:\Users\Name\Documents",  "C:\Users\Name\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Files" and  "C:\Users\Name\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons". No such file. From where would it come from?

If you don't have one in those folders then you don't have to worry about it.

• Upvote 1

-Alex 

On the contrary to some saying, theres a bit of careless from the part of coding and programming, they are sitting in top notch machines, and in their quest to improve gaming and graphics many improvements are gained from technology itself, building architecture...take MSFS2020 for example, they simply dont have to deal with terrain textures anymore, it comes ready-made by Bing (only game adjustments) so the gain a lot of processor and gpu energy that was wasted in other previous sims, and instead of thinking, ok, how can we share that gain with the user or make the game use virtual memory for as much as possible...no! they just want to have their job done by the deadline and cash their employee checks. And any bottlenecks they will be sorted  out in hotfixes or new versions (this way the company will still need them and wont fire them)

Besides...in the past high GPUs were either non existant or extremely dear, today 8gb has become common, so they dont care: "let them buy new GPUs

The average gamer has 4GB GPU and upgrading costs nearly like a new computer in some parts of the world. 

By what I read some users are seeing shift-z more than 6gb of vram being used. That is nonsense! bad programming.

On 6/7/2020 at 2:17 AM, howevr said:

I maybe overthinking this but why did LM reduce the return policy from from 60 days to 14 days. Cynical me says because they were aware V5 was not ready for prime time and to avoid a large number of returns. We will see when you add up the fixes in HF1 and HF2. Strikes me as an odd change at this time in P3D’s life cycle and suggests a lack of confidence in their release.

Will MS have a return policy for MSFS beta after release.

i9 10900K\ASUS APEX MB \ MSI RTX 2080Ti GAMINGX TRIO \ M.2  Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB C Drive \ 2+1TB Samsung 850 EVO \ 2TB BarraCuba \ 32GB G.SKILL Z DDR4 3600MHZ \ Windows 10 Home\ ASUS 28" 4K monitor\ 4TB Portable Drive\P3DV5

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

35 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

Will MS have a return policy for MSFS beta after release.

I believe you can play the game for 2hrs max and apply for refund (MS Store, not sure about Steam)

nw67ik-6.png

i9 9900K , Cooled by Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC | 32 GB Corsair DDR4 RAM |
EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Fractal Design ARC XL | 4 x Corsair ML140 | NZXT Sentry 3 |

PFC Saab Yoke w. Warthog throttle | 32" Philips 4K Monitor

On 6/7/2020 at 2:34 PM, GSalden said:

👍 spot on mate same here no issues what so ever I put it down to incompatable addons

MB Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master CPU i7 8700K @4.9 GHz GPU Gigabyte GTX 1070Ti Cooler Noctua NH-U15 with 2 fans
RAM 16MB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance 3200MHz Power Supply Corsair HX850 850 Watt Case Thermaltake level 20 xt Windows 10 64 bit

On 6/6/2020 at 10:21 AM, Chapstick said:

The biggest VRAM killer is Prepar3d V5

LMAO....!!!

Chris Camp