Sign in to follow this  
mrlip

V5 High CPU & GPU Temps

Has anyone noticed or experienced issues with V5 driving up CPU and GPU temps? I’m having a real issue with it currently, to the point where it’s pushing against CPU TJMax and the thermal throttle is kicking in. No other 3D application does this including V4 or other games, they are all running mid 70s, maybe touching into the 80s max

Some details - I am running on a laptop so temps will be higher than desktop setups but as I mentioned, usually around mid 70s for cpu under load and circa 60s for GPU. On the ground in V5, temps are around high 70s to mid 80s but once airborne they are hitting into the 90s and up against the throttle. No idea why, I’ve never had this in V4 or any other game or benchmark utility. I’ve tried various affinity mask settings to mask off cores to help mimic HT of but no difference. This seems to be pretty much under most scenarios, I’ve tested with both PMDG 747 and AS Airbus series over several flights. 

Things I have tried so far - 

Delete shaders

Restore shaders to default (Running Envshade)

Delete P3D cfg 

Different AM settings 

Specs and setup -

7700HQ

GTX1070

Unlimited frames in P3D. (Limited externally by NCP or RTSS, tried both) 

Please let me know if anymore information would be useful

35 minutes ago, mrlip said:

temps are around high 70s to mid 80s

Nothing to worry.....many treads already answered same topic.....

Virtual Air Canada - Alex Luzajic

P3D (any version) is such a workout for your CPU and GPU that it will likely show up any cooling issues in your PC.  As already mentioned, your temps are not necessarily high enough for concern.

If you suspect "choking" of performance however, it would be worth running with somethink like MSI afterburner and watches graphs for CPU and GPU temp and performance.

I run an older I7-4770 PC, and noticed substantially better CPU temps after a decent blow out of the fans, internals and CPU cooler fins.  Likewise a pulldown of the GPU to put new thermal paste and clean out hard to reach dust stop all throttling.  

Shouldn't be necessary in a newer well maintained PC.  

6 hours ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

Nothing to worry.....many treads already answered same topic.....

I think you have misread my post? Those are the temps I should be getting. But V5 is running at 95 and thermal throttle is kicking in. It’s running 20 degrees hotter than any other application, game or benchmark 

Doing a flight back in V4 now and temps rock solid in the high 60s to 70s for CPU and low 60s for the GPU.

So the issue is something specific to V5. Temps almost 25 degrees higher seems a huge jump that I can’t figure out. 

2 hours ago, mrlip said:

Doing a flight back in V4 now and temps rock solid in the high 60s to 70s for CPU and low 60s for the GPU.

So the issue is something specific to V5. Temps almost 25 degrees higher seems a huge jump that I can’t figure out. 

I also think that there is something going on with V5 running hotter than V4. 
IMHO it might be related to DX12 the way it works or is not properly optimized? The same way the CPU core load being quite uneven compared to other flight simulators?
What I noticed for sure (on my PC) comparing between V4 and V5, my CPU and GPU temps are higher between 8 to 15 degrees. The only addons I have are FSLABS, PMDG, and ActiveSky beta version for P3D V5 that sometimes will raise temperatures and if I select "enhanced atmospheric", both are beta versions. This leads me to believe that there is something going on with the textures, not necessarily only with the clouds.
It's difficult to make a comparison between V4 and V5 because of the DX12, IMHO they are not the same even is P3D but still, there is a CPU load problem when you look at how core 0 gets hammered on may systems (specific for this P3D) and all these beta options available.
Soon we will be able to have a choice between P3D, XP11 or the new MSFS2020, the selection will be natural, and despite all that these developers believing being number one we the customer will choose which one is less buggy, better and which one will be on our PCs. 
All these developers that fight and don't listen to the customer's problems, inputs, etc will face a harsh reality. 

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

The CPU running hotter would tend to make me think it's more optimized rather than less as it's taking more advantage of your hardware.  The worst performance I get is when CPU and gpu usage are lower because they are waiting for some other process that is bottlenecking the system.  

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

15 hours ago, mrlip said:

Has anyone noticed or experienced issues with V5 driving up CPU and GPU temps?

My temps in v5 are about the same as v4.  Or at least that's what I've noticed so far.

I don't know where you are located, but where I am it is summer and my ambient temp tends to rise this time of year a little, which pushes up my cpu/gpu temps a notch.  Maybe that is part of what you are seeing? 

Are you saying you can run v4, have "normal" temps (i.e. topping out in the 70's) and then shut down v4, and immediately (same day, same room, same ambient temp) open up a v5 session, and your temps are 80's and 90's?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

23 minutes ago, Mace said:

My temps in v5 are about the same as v4.  Or at least that's what I've noticed so far.

I don't know where you are located, but where I am it is summer and my ambient temp tends to rise this time of year a little, which pushes up my cpu/gpu temps a notch.  Maybe that is part of what you are seeing? 

Are you saying you can run v4, have "normal" temps (i.e. topping out in the 70's) and then shut down v4, and immediately (same day, same room, same ambient temp) open up a v5 session, and your temps are 80's and 90's?

Hi Mace

That's exactly right, did a flight with V4 earlier today and all temps fine and I have been troubleshooting the V5 issue this afternoon and had the thermal throttling issue. I am based in the UK so ambient temps not an issue at the minute 😄 

After looking into the issue some more this afternoon, I am getting nowhere fast with it unfortunately 😞 . I've tried

-Disabling all Orbx scenery to make sure it wasn't related to a texture issue, no affect

-Disabling RTSS & MSI afterburner external FPS limit combo, no affect

-Restore NCP profile to default, no affect

-Revert back to Nvidia Profile inspector as a FPS limit, as I was using that for a long time previously, no affect

-Remove all external FPS limiters, no affect

-Limit FPS internally on P3d, no affect. 

-Already tried different AM settings, no affect

I've noticed CPU0 is absolutely pegged at 100% which I know isn't usual for P3D but also CPU2 is pegged pretty much at 90-100% and I believe this is different to V4, I need to confirm but I am fairly certain I didn't see CPU2 being hit like this in V4. Even using the V5 internal FPS limiter didn't change CPU0 or CPU2 usage. 

My experience and observations about the CPU and GPU temps: I have an I7 4790k with an Arctic cooler, never OC before (just turbo enabled at 4400MHz), the temps were about at about 75/85°. 2 weeks ago I bought a Noctua NH-D15 cooler and now the temps are about 55/60° max with the CPU working @4700MHz. End of the story. 

The thermal throttling of the CPU (working at lower frequencies to avoid damages), means that your cooling system is not good.

P3d4 is slightly hotter than P3d5 on the CPU, viceversa my gtx 1080 is hotter with P3d5 but never going above 70°.

On the aspect of the CPU0 pegged at 100%, this is normal with games and specially normal with P3d.

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

Yeah

25 minutes ago, rampa said:

My experience and observations about the CPU and GPU temps: I have an I7 4790k with an Arctic cooler, never OC before (just turbo enabled at 4400MHz), the temps were about at about 75/85°. 2 weeks ago I bought a Noctua NH-D15 cooler and now the temps are about 55/60° max with the CPU working @4700MHz. End of the story. 

The thermal throttling of the CPU (working at lower frequencies to avoid damages), means that your cooling system is not good.

P3d4 is slightly hotter than P3d5 on the CPU, viceversa my gtx 1080 is hotter with P3d5 but never going above 70°.

On the aspect of the CPU0 pegged at 100%, this is normal with games and specially normal with P3d.

Yeah something isn’t right specifically with V5  on my system. Everything else including V4 is running at circa 70s. I’m struggling to find the root cause at the minute 

40 minutes ago, mrlip said:

Yeah

Yeah something isn’t right specifically with V5  on my system. Everything else including V4 is running at circa 70s. I’m struggling to find the root cause at the minute 

Do you have an AM setting in the prepar3d.cfg? If yes, which one?

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

21 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

Do you have an AM setting in the prepar3d.cfg? If yes, which one?

At the minute AM=85 as I'm running a 4 core 7700HQ so that setting is to mimic HT off. However I've tried with no AM setting, AM 243 and AM 255, nothing seems to make a difference. 

Further update - I have just updated to Windows 2004 and that makes no difference either 😞 I can understand that some things will run hotter than others, and V5 may have different demands to V4 but 25 degrees difference clearly isn't right, something must be amiss. 

Short of hoping V5 HF2 helps, I am running out of ideas

17 minutes ago, mrlip said:

Short of hoping V5 HF2 helps, I am running out of ideas

Don't hope for HF2, its not a magic cure for everthing. I'm pretty confident it's not a bug but an higher demand of V5. It should'nt make THAT difference to V4.

Try AM=61 and AM=53.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

Will give those a AM’s a shot this week. I could understand a slight increase but the increases I’m seeing don’t seem right. Would just hope HF2 has some optimisations in it which help with CPU and GPU usage. Strange others aren’t seeing increase in temps though

I also can’t definitively say whether I’ve had this issue from the start of using V5, which would be a big help in trying to work out if it can be solved.  I only noticed it a few flights ago when experimenting with other AM settings and just put it down to that but obviously that isn’t the case