Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

Only 201 GB free!

Yikes! Who'd have thought that you could look at your HD and feel nervous at having only 201GB free space?  (Heads off to Overclockers UK to check out SSD prices)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I remember the first computer I used at work had a 20MB hard drive - how times change.

• Like 1

David Porrett

And watch your storage get eaten up with 4K video content in a professional video editing program before rendering! File sizes readily go into the TB range before the final render!

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K

I remember back in the FS9/FSX days if you had a 100GB HD we thought that was HUGE and no way we’d every come close to filling it up with addons. Then the MegaScenery products started rolling out and sceneries began growing in download sizes to where even a 1TB HD might not cut it for long.

• Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Back in 1996,my first PC, from Gateway, only had a WD 3.2GB HDD, and that was big then🤣

Ah! Nostalgia is certainly not what it was 🤣

• Upvote 2

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

3 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I remember back in the FS9/FSX days if you had a 100GB HD we thought that was HUGE and no way we’d every come close to filling it up with addons. Then the MegaScenery products started rolling out and sceneries began growing in download sizes to where even a 1TB HD might not cut it for long.

Well, as an FSX dinosaur, my installation has now hit the 1.2TB mark and that does not include a few Megascenery products and some other stuff installed on a different hard drives!

Although I have a large number of add-on aircraft, I guess most of that space is taken up by scenery. Nowadays add-on scenery for even small airfields can often require a couple of GB disc space and with 1244 entries in my main scenery library it’s easy to see how the space gets used up!

Luckily I had the foresight, a few years ago, to order my current PC with a 2TB HD although I did wonder at the time if that was a serious case of overkill! Goodness knows how large the HD will have to be when the time comes for a replacement PC ..... or maybe everything will be stored on a ‘cloud’ (whatever that is) then!

Bill

• Like 1

Ouch! Feel your concern.

I've been incrementally upgrading my SSD capacity.
There's *a lot* of photo scenery in use in my P3D, as in TBs of the stuff. That would not have been possible even 3 years ago.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

5 hours ago, vc10man said:

Back in 1996,my first PC, from Gateway, only had a WD 3.2GB HDD, and that was big then🤣

I worked for them around 1999, Not for nothing was it called the Quantum Fireball 🙂

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

2 hours ago, Jude Bradley said:

I worked for them around 1999, Not for nothing was it called the Quantum Fireball 🙂

Yes, now you remind me, it was indeed called that and was shipped from Ireland, and the only reason I chose Gateway was (a)because of their US roots, and (b) because the Technical Support beat the likes of Dell, Compaq, HP, PC World, Byte Computers, Panrix, etc, etc into a cocked hat!

And at the time I thought a PII-233MHz was the bee's knees🤣, came with a pre-installed Zip100 ATAPI drive which took care of mere 1.44Mb floppies. How we have moved on, eh.

Edited by vc10man

"Hey kid, You should have seen the Atlantic 30 years ago. That was an ocean."

--Lou Pascal (Burt Lancaster in Atlantic City) 

Edited by Psybear

Who's going to be the first with "I remember my Commodore 64"?

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Now that,Ron, is a a good memory you have🤣