Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

Only 201 GB free!

49 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

Who you guys calling youngsters? No one's mentioned punch tape readers yet......one mistake and you have to rewrite the whole tape (program). Punch cards were a breakthrough. :laugh:

Ah my friend, a reader is not a computer, so I didn't mention it. But on my second computer I had a backup paper tape reader!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

While you're all here wandering down Memory Lane you're not whittering away on the FS2020 threads. Clever eh? 😎

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I had a Commodore 64, then 128, then an XT/8086 1.7ghz with 8k of ram. The first hdd I ever saw was a 5mb Western Digital and it was 4500 bucks. 

Ah the times we had. 😁

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

2 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Ah my friend, a reader is not a computer,

You are correct sir but it was connected to one....in another room, took up the whole room. It was at the university and you had to run your programs at 1 am in the morning to avoid the lines of every other student trying to finish their assignments. I am amazed I never dropped a stack of cards at that time of the morning running on No-Doz.

After I graduated I wanted my own PC bad! I can't believe I was seriously considering a brand new Intel 8086 for a total cost of $10,000. Fortunately I came to my senses and bought a brand new Volkswagen Scirocco instead for the same price. The irony of all this is that I am finally building a new computer and the chip I am using is.....drumroll here......an 8086.

38 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

My plan is working out beautifully.

We can always count on you to liven up the party Ron!

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

2 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

No it's called MSFS ... 🤣 ...

Oh dear. You can tell I don't go there can't you? I thought MSFS meant MySisterF...Sailors  Scrub that, it'll get me banned

Sorry Sir, the whisky made me do it.

That's what I like about simming, the rule is changed to 8 minutes bottle to throttle....

• Upvote 1

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

2 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

The silver looking contact points were actually springs to hold wires in place.  I wired the logic circuit I wanted using the supplied wire (right side in pic) .... 

Fran was a hoot. In her words, you "must have been a disappointed nerd boy" with that under the Christmas tree." ;-}

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

16 hours ago, vc10man said:

Yes, now you remind me, it was indeed called that and was shipped from Ireland, and the only reason I chose Gateway was (a)because of their US roots, and (b) because the Technical Support beat the likes of Dell, Compaq, HP, PC World, Byte Computers, Panrix, etc, etc into a cocked hat!

And at the time I thought a PII-233MHz was the bee's knees🤣, came with a pre-installed Zip100 ATAPI drive which took care of mere 1.44Mb floppies. How we have moved on, eh.

Thank you for your compliments,Rick. We used to have one Tech agent who's only command was "deltree windows" (not the best way to fix stuff) 🙂

The first PC I bought was a 2nd hand 100mhz piece of junk with no sound-card drivers on it. Took me years before I got an internet connection to install the drivers for it. I still remember the card, it was the Yahama OPL3-SAX. Good enough to play F16 on though!

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

"Not all old toys are fun. Not even all old toys are dangerous and fun. This is neither.
Didn't catch fire and I didn't learn anything..."

Brilliant!
Fran knows her stuff.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

2 hours ago, Jude Bradley said:

Thank you for your compliments,Rick.

You're most welcome, Jude. Used to correspond/ phone a Joe Gleeson, Tech Supervisor. Then ensued correspondence between me and a Kathleen Smith. Then bit later more correspondence back and forth with an Arlene Walsh to get the freebie upgrades I was promised for the initial 15-in monitor to a 17-in one, heaven to me in those days when 4K was not even a word invented.🤣

Another Sinclair Spectrum former owner here who ran a flight sim program with just 40K of memory back in 1983-85. The other 8K was reserved for the OS. 😄 Scenery comprised dots on the ground. I'd get excited when I saw some!

Back to large SSDs. I trust you all run backups to NAS or equivalent. Imagine the pain of having to reinstall everything!😕

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, vc10man said:

You're most welcome, Jude. Used to correspond/ phone a Joe Gleeson, Tech Supervisor. Then ensued correspondence between me and a Kathleen Smith. Then bit later more correspondence back and forth with an Arlene Walsh to get the freebie upgrades I was promised for the initial 15-in monitor to a 17-in one, heaven to me in those days when 4K was not even a word invented.🤣

Back in the day, we had what was called "pod machines" - basically any PC that Gateway sold, cobbled together so that we could test customer's issues, or walk them through installing video cards, modems soundcards etc. If you had Windows 95, there was a piix4 chipset that needed to be installed to get rid of the yellow question-marks in device manager. Glad to see not many of those exist now 🙂

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Wow! “You all” have brought back some real old memories.  I finally saved up enough $ to purchase the Apple II with a green screen and one floppy 256K. That apple cost over $2200.  Purchased a Sinclair Spectrum 48 to add since it was a lot cheaper. My boss showed me the first HP calculator that could multiply, divide, etc. I couldn’t believe the answers it showed on the small screen so I had to use my “slide rule” to verify his HP was correct. (lol). Maybe some have no idea what a "slide rule" was.  I can’t believe how fast time has passed. 

I sure enjoyed all the posts to help me bring back some real old memories which were great. 

• Like 1

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________