Sign in to follow this  
znatusch

Sound issues

Hi,

Downloaded the the F50 v1.9H last night. Lovely aircraft. Noticed however a phenomenon with engines on, also noticed previously in the FSW Learjet, which I also own though don't have currently installed. Note that this effect is present when view is in the VC - and appears to be reliably triggered by a taxi turn, although will also occur less frequently when static.

It is present with only 2 or more engines running (i.e. not present with only one engine running).

I would describe it as acoustic beating with a slow period (about 30 seconds), and annoying to the point where I won't use the aircraft until I can fix it. The sound is of course best communicated with a recording -  which I'll try to do when I have time later this week - or else find a video online made by someone else in which you can hear this.

My impression is that this is the same phenomenon as encountered here (although, again, these are verbal descriptions, so doesn't ensure that people are talking about the same thing). If it is the same thing, then some people call it 'phasing' - including some developers (e.g. "sounds optimised to eliminate phasing" as advertised on their sites).

I have tried applying the "invert" transformation on all 2xxxx engine sound files, and "reverse" on all 3xxx engine sound files (via Audacity), but the problem remains.

First time I've encountered this in P3Dv4.5. Previously, with FSX-SE I had several addon aircraft which exhibited this, and generally was solved by purchasing add-on sound packs specific to those aircraft or engines.

5 hours ago, znatusch said:

Downloaded the the F50 v1.9H last night.

Version 2.0b of the Falcon 50 has been out for a while now, what store is still providing ver 1.9H downloads?

5 hours ago, znatusch said:

First time I've encountered this in P3Dv4.5. Previously, with FSX-SE I had several addon aircraft which exhibited this, and generally was solved by purchasing add-on sound packs specific to those aircraft or engines.

I'm not aware of any commercial third-party add-on sound packages for the Falcon, so experimenting with Audacity (time shifting as well as inverting the sounds, perhaps) as you are doing is probably your best bet at this point to try and get something to your liking unless someone here has come up with an alternative.

Al

Edited by ark

On 6/10/2020 at 2:05 AM, ark said:

Version 2.0b of the Falcon 50 has been out for a while now, what store is still providing ver 1.9H downloads?

I'm not aware of any commercial third-party add-on sound packages for the Falcon, so experimenting with Audacity (time shifting as well as inverting the sounds, perhaps) as you are doing is probably your best bet at this point to try and get something to your liking unless someone here has come up with an alternative.

Al

Yes, it was ver 2.0b actually.

Did a bit more experimenting with Audacity - adding noise, remixing to mono etc. Still have harmonic interference or 'phasing' phenomena but possibly somewhat improved. More testing to do.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, znatusch said:

Yes, it was ver 2.0b actually.

Did a bit more experimenting with Audacity - adding noise, remixing to mono etc. Still have harmonic interference or 'phasing' phenomena but possibly somewhat improved. More testing to do.

Thanks.

Glad you have the latest update.

Fortunately, I guess, I'm not sensitive to the phasing issue. Probably because at my age my hearing is not very good.

Al

9 hours ago, ark said:

Glad you have the latest update.

Fortunately, I guess, I'm not sensitive to the phasing issue. Probably because at my age my hearing is not very good.

Al

Hmm... when it's prevalent, though, it can be very noticeable, and sweeps through both low and high frequencies....Rather nauseating. Feels like someone's rotating my brain within my skull.

I'd be a little surprised if someone with, say, the ability to hear a conversation at normal levels couldn't hear the phasing swooshing sounds. Oh well, its an ongoing mystery to solve. Maybe hardware related too.

If anyone else has this issue I'm happy to share my sound modifications. I'd say it's reduced the intensity of the phase swoosh by 60-70%.