Sign in to follow this  
Skyseek

Win 10 OS Upgrades

I am using MSFS Steam edition.

It seems like every time Microsoft updates Windows 10, my peer to peer network that I use WideFS and Active Sky on a remote station stops working.  I have complained about it to Microsoft every time it hoses my LAN connectivity.

I read that Microsoft has phased or is phasing out the HomeGroup which is basically peer to peer networking.  I can ping the FS computer from the Remote  computer.  Just can’t access the shared folders.  

I haven’t retested WideFS , as Pete Dowson’s network protocol doesn’t seem to be dependent on Microsoft Network layer.

Active Sky uses SimConnect and is dependent on shared FSX folders. Which I can’t get to work.

i really would like to use One Drive as it is easily configured.  

Anybody have any ideas on how to do remote networking without the Microsoft Network layer? 

I was thinking about reverting back to Windows 7!!!!  The simpler and more robust days!  At least with the final service patches.

Thanks!

Look up Remote Desktop. Might be what you are after. It involves an app for remote networking and changing folder permissions.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Do not do that,i don't think Windows 7 must do better than Windows 10,you can do a clean Windows 10 installation on your pc,everything can be done again.

Since January 14, 2020, Windows 7 is no longer supported, and I don’t think Windows 7 has any installation value.Windows 10 is the best option.

Please do not anything about Windows 10 upgrade or update on your computer,i don't want you to suffer the same troubles as me.

Edited by Marina67

On 8/11/2020 at 6:16 PM, Marina67 said:

Please do not anything about Windows 10 upgrade or update on your computer,i don't want you to suffer the same troubles as me.

Downloading and installing Windows 10 from Microsoft website is possbile.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

And do a clean Windows 10 install via a bootable USB drvie is possible.

https://www.windows10passwordreset.com/create-windows-10-bootable-usb.html

Edited by Marina67