Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm Wright

Problem with "ghost" controller

I need some help from someone!

I fly FSX but a problem has developed, possibly created while my computer was in a repair shop.

A new controller has appeared out of the blue, it is called a "3 axis 9 buttons joystick" and takes control when I try to fly. There are several wierd things, firstly I don't have a "3 axis 9 buttons Joystick" and I always fly using a Saitek Flight Yoke. However when I start up FSX and check the current controller that is in control it is the nefarious joystick again. As I don't have one of these I can't fly without changing the default back to the Saitek Yoke.

I would love to get rid of this thing but I can't find any way of deleting it. I have a vague memory that there is a file in FSX somewhere that contains a list of controllers and is editable. I've tried to find this file but I can't find it. If anyone knows of a way of getting rid of this controller entry then I would be eternally grateful as I've not flown for sometime and am feeling depressed as a result!

Many thanks in advance

Malcolm Wright

From memory the file is in the c / username / appdata / roaming / microsoft / fsx / controls / folder (sorry, this is Windows 7 though, I don't have Windows 10). You can either edit it manually in notepad to get rid of the attributes for the "offending" controller (but leaving the first and last entries for that same controller) or just delete the entire file and re-allocate the keys from scratch next time you start FSX. But if you are not familiar with the syntax of xml files for FSX it might be better to just delete the file and start from scratch again since if you accidentally delete the wrong entry it will cause problems.

The repair shop must have connected a test controller which FSX then recognised and once recognised, the entry for it remains forever unless manually removed or the entire file deleted and built up again after re-starting fsx.

Jon,

What a great help you have been. I've finally located the file and as soon as I can get a bit of editing done I should be able to get rid of that strange joystick. Which will be a great relief. I'd like to buy you a beer but as you are in Aussie I'm afraid that's not going to be possible.

Thanks for your perfect memory.

All the best

Malcolm Wright