Sign in to follow this  
GodAtum

Microsoft's answer to ActiveSky

meteogram_air?look=MILE_PER_HOUR%2CCELSIUS%2CMILLIMETER&apikey=5838a18e295d&temperature=C&windspeed=mph&precipitationamount=mm&winddirection=3char&city=London+Heathrow+Airport&iso2=gb&lat=51.471100&lon=-0.456490&asl=27&tz=Europe%2FLondon&fcstlength=72&lang=en&ts=1591986538&sig=9547c1fac147fe3911545ceafaa8cceb

Edited by w6kd
Thread title edited by forum admin
  • Like 1

I mean does this really need a separate thread? It's covered in the June 11th update thread

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/576767-june-11th-2020-development-update/

It's not a middle finger though, it's just a different way to doing the weather. Not everyone will be switching to MSFS2020 right away so active sky will still be in demand for a while.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 4

This is actually the one thing that concerns me most with MSFS.

FSX had a live weather system too, but eventually the license ran out and MS didn't renew it, so it stopped working. Fortunately, AS and Rex were around to take up the slack.

If enough people switch to 2020 fast enough and use its built in weather, will AS or Rex be able to survive until MS drops support for it?

On the same note, I imagine Navigraph isn't too thrilled right now either.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for editing the title...

I am not sure that Microsoft, a $1 trillion company cares much about HiFy Simulation (with all due respect).

Edited by n4gix
PLEASE!!! Leave out the linked videos when replying!!!
  • Like 1

Rob, I agree. I have every faith that Hi-Fi will use their years of experience to produce far better cloud graphics than we saw in that video.

And of course there must be a subscription to that weather service plus one for the AIRAC data. These are companies that need to make a profit. They’r not charities.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

And of course there must be a subscription to that weather service plus one for the AIRAC data. These are companies that need to make a profit. They’r not charities.

This again? You actually believe MS can sell a mainstream product with multiple subscriptions...

• Like 5

I've just checked latest versions of AS in case I missed something, but having watched all weather videos, FS2020 is light years ahead in terms of weather depiction ... but that's IMHO.

Edited by marty2756
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, Kaan KASIM said:

This again? You actually believe MS can sell a mainstream product with multiple subscriptions...

It’s my opinion which I’m perfectly entitled to have. And what do you mean by “this again”? It’s the first time I’ve expressed an opinion.

A professional licence would cover it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, eslader said:

FSX had a live weather system too, but eventually the license ran out and MS didn't renew it, so it stopped working.

It works again in the beta branch of the Steam version.

24 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

And of course there must be a subscription to that weather service plus one for the AIRAC data.

There's going to be no subscriptions for the sim. This has been confirmed by Asobo a few times.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Tuskin38 said:

There's no bloody subscription.

Watch your language and attitude.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Watch your language and attitude.

You're too fast on the quote button, I changed it before you replied.

7 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

And what do you mean by “this again”?

They probably mean in general, several peoplehave brought it up before claiming there needs to be a subscription.

Rob claims he's been in personal contact with Microsoft reps that have confirmed there won't be any subscriptions.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

You're too fast on the quote button, I changed it before you replied.

I replied to what I saw. It always helps to pause and consider replies that could annoy.

2 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

They probably mean in general, several people (including Rob above) have brought it up before. Rob claims he's been in personal contact with Microsoft reps that have confirmed there won't be any subscriptions.

I agree that the sim itself probably won’t have a subscription but to give away AIRAC data especially for no charge just doesn’t ring true when Navigraph has to pay for it. How are they going to react if Microsoft get the same data gratis?

As for the weather these are things that could be considered extras separate from the core sim and therefore incur a separate charge. Note the word “could”, not “will”. Just an opinion.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

17 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

but to give away AIRAC data especially for no charge just doesn’t ring true when Navigraph has to pay for it. How are they going to react if Microsoft get the same data gratis?

Microsoft is a rich company, they can probably afford it. Barter for some sort of discount deal.

It always helps to pause and consider replies that could annoy.

I forget that some people consider bloody to be offensive.

As for the weather these are things that could be considered extras separate from the core sim

Weather not being a core component? That doesn't make any sense.

Anyways, if any of this had to be purchased via a separate subscription there would be legal small print in these videos saying that. Because without that, it could be considered false advertising.

Edited by Tuskin38

This is miles better than what we have (even considering weather dynamics/forecast, as explained in the video) and some still think AS and the likes are better?

Really, words fail me.

• Like 14
  • Upvote 10

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]