Sign in to follow this  
cwburnett

ORBX TrueEarth Northern California Released

With a launch discount too!

I'm a little confused by the pricing strategy though.
At 'full price' TE NorCal is AU$54.95 for >240,000 km², yet TE Washington is AU$69.95 for >170,000 km².
Is a premium for a CityScene-type Seattle added to the price of TE WA?

Edited by F737NG

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Great part of the world to fly.

Screencaps looked a bit flat to me - I think they’re not using enhanced atmospherics, not too many shadows, maybe still on v4. In short, I think it can look better than what we see here.

OK, time to buy it.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Does this replace the North California Product?

Edited by cooperwarner8
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 3800X 3.9 GHz Turbo up to 4.2 GHz

GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Windforce 11GB

32GB 3200MHz RAM 

1TB Crucial SSD & 1 500GB Crucial SSD

Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, CH Products Pro Pedals

16 minutes ago, cooperwarner8 said:

Does this replace the North California Product?

It looks like the coverage areas do not directly overlap, but not sure.

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

As tempting as this sounds, my P3D already clocks in at 8 minutes to boot. I have to draw the line somewhere. 

• Like 4

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Looks pretty good. My question is why can nobody ever get Alcatraz right or do it at all? Some where little patches of land in the bay and the Municipal Pier is missing.

I7-8086K Delid OC Synced all cores 5.2  Corsair Hydro Series, H115i PRO ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 SLI CORSAIR HXi Series HX1200i 1200W G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB DDR4 3200 Windows 10 Pro 64

PMDG 737NGX

That screenshot of downtown Sacramento includes two items that annoy me. One is the bridge in the background with a big "drop down" at the end. I really wish that they could sort that out with bridge models. It looks very unrealistic. Then there is the "boat shaped autogen building" in the water that should actually be a beautiful paddle steamer (and now a floating hotel) called the Delta King. I appreciate that they are not able to do everything, but that anomaly stands out like a sore thumb.

The San Francisco-Oakland Bay bridge does not look right to me either. The towers look way too short, there is no "lattice detail" to them, and the lower sections (below the road deck; this should be a double deck) seem to be completely missing!! In fact, the more I look at that screenshot, the more confused I become 😕

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have the regular ORBX Northern Cal, would it be a waste to buy true earth NC?

Thanks

Bernd

Guess they are pumping as much TE stuff as possible before the inexorable obsolence. 

And checking the pictures only reinforces my strategy going forward: keep using all landclass regions that I own for P3D and leave the photo-scenery stuff to MSFS.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

4 hours ago, SolRayz said:

As tempting as this sounds, my P3D already clocks in at 8 minutes to boot. I have to draw the line somewhere. 

Get Simstarter NG P3D (my current choice), or use the free Lorby SI addon manager (also excellent). You absolutely do no want all scenery sctive if you have a lot of addons - hence your 8 minute startup time!

• Like 3

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

47 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

Guess they are pumping as much TE stuff as possible before the inexorable obsolence. 

And checking the pictures only reinforces my strategy going forward: keep using all landclass regions that I own for P3D and leave the photo-scenery stuff to MSFS.

That's a pretty negative take.

1. TE releases have been planned for a long time, they're rolling them out as expected.

2. You can use landclass if you want - yuk - but ortho with well-placed objects looks far better. That's why MSFS is going with that as a model.

3. Using MSFS for photoscenery isn't an option unless you're in the alpha.

4. P3D v5 with EA looks great with ortho. 

5. Inexorable "obsolence"? I don't think so. MSFS will be great I'm sure, but pretty sure it won't support active sky, A2A, PMDG, Leonardo MD-82, F1/RXP GTN750, Flightbeam airports, etc etc, at least not any time soon.

6. This is a P3D forum. Perhaps not the best place to be telling everyone that their sim is facing "inexorable obsolence", GC! 🙂

GC, you're a VR guy if I remember correctly. If so, are you really going to give it up for the new sim in town? No true VR flier would consider this!

P3D v5 + EA + VR + Ortho = looks beautiful, best there is right now and for the foreseeable future.

I've bought Orbx TrueEarth Northern Cal, just like I've bought all their other P3D and X-plane TrueEarth regions. At the current price, it's a steal. 

• Like 1

Oz

2 hours ago, bjablonka8120 said:

I have the regular ORBX Northern Cal, would it be a waste to buy true earth NC?

Thanks

Bernd

Certainly not. I have Orbx Northern Cal, it's landclass = fake scenery. TrueEarth is orthoscenery plus objects. 

Do you like major highways running through your houses and parks? Do you dislike seeing what the real earth looks like? Do you enjoy seeing repeating tiles once you're flying at altitude? If so, stick with your current Orbx.

Otherwise, get TrueEarth.

Oz

23 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Get Simstarter NG P3D (my current choice), or use the free Lorby SI addon manager (also excellent). You absolutely do no want all scenery sctive if you have a lot of addons - hence your 8 minute startup time!

Actually my startup time is primarily from AIG. I own TE Netherlands, but un-installed, as that added an even longer wait. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor