Sign in to follow this  
spilok

What video INPUT do you use for P3d?

Display Port or HDMI?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Display Port or HDMI with P3d?

• Display Port
    • Display Port with GSync
    • HDMI
    • Display Port AND HDMI (different monitors)

I was very curious as to what type of DISPLAY you use for P3d, and if you definitely see an advantage of one over the other.

I've tried both and I'm still trying to decide if one is superior in clarity, FPS strength, stability.

Thanks, 
Stan

Edited by spilok

Need an option for both in your survey.
I use a combination as I run 3 monitors and my 1070 didn't come with three of the same connection type.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

37 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Need an option for both in your survey.
I use a combination as I run 3 monitors and my 1070 didn't come with three of the same connection type.

It's added.

Stan

• Upvote 1

Currently I run my monitor with a display port to hdmi adapter (monitor does not have a DP, card has 3 DP and one 1 HDMI out, so I can plug in my VR headset that uses an HDMI port, also when I stream I plug in a tv that I have hanging on my wall near my computer via that hdmi so I can look at the chat etc.

probably time to upgrade to a newer monitor to be honest.

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

My RTX2080ti actually allows for a USB-C conection 

I run my second Samsung monitor with this

AMD Ryzen 3800X 3.9 GHz Turbo up to 4.2 GHz

GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Windforce 11GB

32GB 3200MHz RAM 

1TB Crucial SSD & 1 500GB Crucial SSD

Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, CH Products Pro Pedals

Here, a single (ultrawide) screen connected with HDMI. With HDMI, I can sent ATC chatter to the (poor quality) screen speakers. Other sounds go to the regular better quality speaker.

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

This is a good question however I think it is limited because individual specs come into play - One for example is Free Sync being available and that only working through HDMI or Display Port  and an appropriate graphics card.

There is some argument in the technical circles/forums that Display Port gives better functionality for multiple monitors and adaptive sync. If you can (wish to) drive 8K you can only do that over Display Port (v1.4) so for the future flight sim that may well be the way to go. I have only glimpsed one article in the 100s about the new 3000 series Nvidia card (and it was only 1 line at that) that mentioned the 3080Ti as being the first card capable of sustained 8K.

My 4k is on Display Port and the 2k(portrait mode) is on HDMI simply because rotating the screen caused the DP to be in a bugger of a location.

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

27 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

That's not accurate, HDMI 2.1 can drive upto 10K resolution at 120Hz.  My LG C9 OLED is HDMI 2.1 and I use HDMI 2.1 (48Gbits/sec) specific cable.  I specifically got this monitor to see how HDR10 looks in those supported Sims/Games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Cheers, Rob.

Seems like my info is out of date Rob, thanks for the correction. My focus has been on DP mainly because of it bandwidth capacity iirc its around 78Gb/sec for v2 (which will go over 60FPS without compression) and hadn't picked up on the uprating of HDMI at 8K @ 30FPS.

Cheers

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

9 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Gsync works with HDMI and DisplayPort and USB-C ... not sure where you are going with this survey?  There are several versions of DisplayPort and several versions of HDMI.

I prefer HDMI 2.x but that requires a GPU that supports HDMI 2.x (2.0a or 2.1).  Oddly GPU's tend to have more DisplayPort ports vs. HDMI ports.  I prefer SmartTV's with HDMI because they are designed to work well at 24-30Hz and 60Hz and 120Hz.  Dedicated PC monitors with DisplayPort often don't operate well at 30hz and seem to work best at 60Hz or higher.  This is a "rule of thumb" as there are always exceptions.  

If you're on nVidia GPU side, then this list of monitors might help:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

This list has an important column called "Variable Refresh Rate Range", since P3D V5 now supports VRR/Gsync/FreeSync.  Personally I can't imagine Gsync at 1 Hz, a good range is 20Hz-120Hz.

No idea if that is where you are going with this Stan, but my 2 cents.

Cheers, Rob.

Curiosity, Rob.  My LG monitor has both capabilities and I've switched between the 2 in an effort to see if one or the other works better in P3dv5.

I'm looking for every possible change to my system that would make v5 work smoother, and eliminate possible stutter or pause catalysts.  If there is a connection or an improvement of one over the other, I'm trying to find out from other simmers if they have tested these imputs and found any differences.  

Curiosity sometimes unveils or unwraps a hidden bit of knowledge.

Stan

10 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Dedicated PC monitors with DisplayPort often don't operate well at 30hz and seem to work best at 60Hz or higher.  This is a "rule of thumb" as there are always exceptions.  

If you're on nVidia GPU side, then this list of monitors might help:

Cheers, Rob.

My BenQ PD3200 doesn’t appear on the site but I couldn’t be happier with it. I now run it at 30Hz and P3D v4.5 is wonderfully smooth. Connected via DP but couldn’t tell you which version.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

20 hours ago, spilok said:

I was very curious as to what type of DISPLAY you use for P3d, and if you definitely see an advantage of one over the other.

I've tried both and I'm still trying to decide if one is superior in clarity, FPS strength, stability.

Thanks, 
Stan

As a display for P3D v4/v5, I use a Rift S, and before that I used an Odyssey+, a CV1 and - a long time back - a DK2.

My rating:

• Clarity - meh.
  • FPS strength - nah
  • Stability - meh

...but worth it! 🙂

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I have a 3 monitor setup on two computers, does the job perfectly for me anyway.

2xDell U24's Left and Right and a U34W Center - Monitor 1/2 on Comp A and 2/3 on Comp B, the Dell U34W has a built in KVM but I only use it for the Video which is HDMI for 1/2 and DP for 2/3 and a StarTek KVM for the rest. Sounds complicated but it isn't, easy as pie to switch between two computers. So basically when I'm in P3D on Comp B with Monitor 2/3, I have Navigraph or LNM, checklists, ect.. on Monitor 1 on Comp A and navigate between both with Mouse without borders.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Very happy with my 49 Ultra-Wide 5K display. Did not see any difference running with HDMI or DP, so currently I am on DP.

I could also never be satisfied running P3D at 30Hz, considering that the overall experience/visibility at the OS Level is severely impacted. Currently I have it set to 120Hz and I hope future flight-simulators will offer improved optimization to make achieving those high frame-rates a more mundane task.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

On 6/17/2020 at 7:05 AM, Rob_Ainscough said:

That's not accurate, HDMI 2.1 can drive upto 10K resolution at 120Hz.  My LG C9 OLED is HDMI 2.1 and I use HDMI 2.1 (48Gbits/sec) specific cable.  I specifically got this monitor to see how HDR10 looks in those supported Sims/Games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

You mean 4K at 120 Hz right ?   You would refer to 10 as the color bits which then would need 40 Gbits/sec (48 Gbits/sec would be for 4K at 120Hz and 12 bits color).   

Beside that, I noticed in one of your last video that you were using Vsync ON in P3D. How is that ? I though having a Gsync compatible display (even though the Lg is 40-240Hz Gsync compatible) would work without having Vsync enable...   

Would be great if you could confirm.

Thanks,

Greg

Edited by pao

too much, too soon....