Sign in to follow this  
biels_77

Real Aircraft Technical Logbook

I was wondering if anyone has by change a sample from a real aircraft technical logbook(TLB), I have some photos of the Ba's one, which I found on the internet, but they aren't enough. I'm trying to upgrade my simulation level by using and feeding the same aircraft's manuals and logs as a pilot would do.

Best regards, Gabriel

• Like 1

No, but I do have the Pilot's notes including Blue Steel carriage for the Handley Page Victor B Mk.1 and the Service Manual. Both of which I purchased from ebay (digital download). 😎

You might try ebay or other auction sites to see if there's a TLB available for an airliner.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Here you go: https://www.pooleys.com/media/5349/pages-from-tech-journey-lgbk-2014.pdf

Although you could go with the stuff below instead...

(P) = Pilot's entry
(E) = Engineer's entry

(P) Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.
(E) Almost replaced left inside main tire.

(P) Test flight OK, except autoland very rough.
(E) Autoland not installed on this aircraft.

(P) # 2 propeller seeping prop fluid.
(E) # 2 propeller seepage normal.
(P) # 1, # 3, and # 4 propellers lack normal seepage.

(P) Something loose in cockpit.
(E) Something tightened in cockpit.

(P) Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
(E) Evidence removed.

(P) DME volume unbelievably loud.
(E) Volume set to more believable level.

(P) Dead bugs on windshield.
(E) Live bugs on order.

(P) Autopilot in altitude hold mode produces a 200 fpm descent.
(E) Cannot reproduce problems on ground.

(P) IFF inoperative.
(E) IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.

(P) Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
(E) That's what they're there for.

(P) Number three engine missing.
(E) Engine found on right wing after brief search.

(P) Aircraft handles funny.
(E) Aircraft warned to straighten up, "fly right," and be serious.

(P) Target Radar hums.
(E) Reprogrammed Target Radar with the words.

(P) Pilot's clock inop.
(E) Wound pilots clock.

(P) Autopilot tends to drop a wing when fuel imbalance reaches 500lbs.
(E) Flight manual limits maximum fuel imbalance to 300lbs.

(P) #2 ADF needle runs wild.
(E) Caught and tamed #2 ADF needle.

(P) - Suspected crack in windscreen.
(E) - Suspect you're right.

(P) - Mouse in cockpit.
(E) - Cat installed.

(P) - Ghostly creaking from airstairs
(E) - Airstairs lubricated and exorcised.

• Like 5

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I normally look for three logbooks for an airplane (may be five for a twin with each engine and propeller in a separate book.)

The airplane logbook or airframe book

The engine logbook

The propeller logbook

Some of the aircraft listed on controller.com use to have the logbooks or last entries with the airplanes, but I do not see them anymore. 

I have flown for some organizations where you don't look at the books, but a printout from the computerized management system for the fleet. Aircraft tail, serial, and copy of the airworthiness are up front, followed by pilot squawks and unscheduled maintenance, and in the end are all of the scheduled maintenance items. You would be surprised at the number of scheduled services on a larger airplane. The important stuff like wing bolt torque checks to the mundane like compass swings.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, Gentlemens. I didn't found the TLB on eBay but, I found some interesting other manuals. I also found various samples from the Varig TLB on PDF.

Happy to provide a few pages of my Bonanza if that is useful? I also recently purchased a 172 to train my kids on, and can share a few pages of that as well. Let me know what you are looking for.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 11:40 PM, biels_77 said:

I was wondering if anyone has by change a sample from a real aircraft technical logbook(TLB), I have some photos of the Ba's one, which I found on the internet, but they aren't enough. I'm trying to upgrade my simulation level by using and feeding the same aircraft's manuals and logs as a pilot would do.

Best regards, Gabriel

Something like this?

50038962816_9994d369f2_k.jpg

• Like 1

-Chris Crawford

-ATP/MEL

- B737 / B777 / B-727 / EMB-145 / LR-JET

20 hours ago, busdriver said:

I also recently purchased a 172 to train my kids on...

Your kids are most fortunate, sir! 😎

Chris - I'm aware of Southern Air (I have a freeware 777 freighter with the SA/DHL repaint on it) and of course Atlas, but what is the "U" next to both names on the log sheet please?

As a total aside, and sorry for digressing, but Southern Air used to have a video of one of their 777F's in flight shot from a camera chase plane. Must have been fresh out of the shop as the Boeing was sooo shiny! It was a beautiful day for flying and the music was captivating - a haunting synth instrumental. I cannot find it online anywhere so I'm glad I grabbed an MP4 of it. I emailed Southern wayback asking them for details about the video and the music, but never received a reply. (Yet another internet wacko I suppose!)

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

1 hour ago, HighBypass said:

Your kids are most fortunate, sir! 😎

Chris - I'm aware of Southern Air (I have a freeware 777 freighter with the SA/DHL repaint on it) and of course Atlas, but what is the "U" next to both names on the log sheet please?

As a total aside, and sorry for digressing, but Southern Air used to have a video of one of their 777F's in flight shot from a camera chase plane. Must have been fresh out of the shop as the Boeing was sooo shiny! It was a beautiful day for flying and the music was captivating - a haunting synth instrumental. I cannot find it online anywhere so I'm glad I grabbed an MP4 of it. I emailed Southern wayback asking them for details about the video and the music, but never received a reply. (Yet another internet wacko I suppose!)

The U is for Southern and Atlas "University", as I pulled this logbook example from a new hire training slideshow. I'm currently in upgrade class for the next couple of months, so I'm not able to get you a picture of the real thing until I go back out on line. But, that's exactly what ours looks like, minus the Atlas and Southern U at the top.

I have no idea where I could find that video lol, but I'll see if I can do some digging for you (I'm pretty sure I know the one you're talking about)

• Like 1

-Chris Crawford

-ATP/MEL

- B737 / B777 / B-727 / EMB-145 / LR-JET

Chris thank you for the information and the offer of playing detective. Cheers! Apologies for the thread hijack!

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

On 6/23/2020 at 10:12 PM, Chris Crawford said:

Something like this?

50038962816_9994d369f2_k.jpg

Yes, exactly. Thanks for sharing.

I would be surprised if you could get TLB books on ebay unless they were from defunct airlines, as they are all serialised and are legal documents.  What exactly are you wanting to know, although I cannot show you copies of TLB pages, I am very familiar with the books for easyjet and BA I also have a little info on emirates

Pete Little

21 hours ago, mazelda said:

I would be surprised if you could get TLB books on ebay unless they were from defunct airlines, as they are all serialised and are legal documents.  What exactly are you wanting to know, although I cannot show you copies of TLB pages, I am very familiar with the books for easyjet and BA I also have a little info on emirates

I couldn't found, but other documents such as Fcom, qrh, etc are for sale there. I was looking for a sample from a real carrier, like the one above, to use on my flights, write down technical faults that I might encounter. Some times I fly with some system inoperative, in accordance with the MEL, having the TLB to record that will, let's say, improve the simulation experience.

There are many procedures for tech faults and MEL ops

The MEL has a few sections that are split into performance, non performance etc and depending on the snag is how its fixed or not

The TLB have sections at the back that contain the various ADD sections related to faults currently on the aircraft. MEL will give you an idea as to which section to raise ADD.

THE TLB also contains damage charts for the aircraft.

A TLB is not supposed to leave a station if there is an open entry in the log. Captains can write in the action taken but this is generally the domain of the Engineer.

If the captain is entering in the action taken he has been in contact with  MOC,MAINTROL,MCC or the station itself first before doing so. Does not always happen but that is down to the captain if anything then goes wrong.

Pete Little