Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

Wide aspect view

Hey guys I have a 55inch 4k tv for my sim

now is it plausible to use wide aspect view checked in v5?

or does it cause performance issues in any way?

thanks

mike

Why not just check the box and see what happens?..................Doug

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

1 hour ago, mikeymike said:

If you need to zoom out further than you already can, then check it. If not, it won't do anything useful.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Thanks for the responses!

i ask because i recall reading sometime ago for v4 it induces stutters.

thanks

mike

2 hours ago, mikeymike said:

Thanks for the responses!

i ask because i recall reading sometime ago for v4 it induces stutters.

thanks

mike

That was not the wide aspect it is the auto fill main view.

14 minutes ago, Farlis said:

That was not the wide aspect it is the auto fill main view.

Ohh ic!! Ok. Thanks.

4 hours ago, MarkDH said:

If you need to zoom out further than you already can, then check it. If not, it won't do anything useful.

This isn't actually true my friend, though I can understand why you might believe so.  Some virtual cockpits are done specifically for use with Wide Aspect and won't look correct if it's not used.

6 hours ago, mikeymike said:

thanks

mike

Great thread on this subject for the cost of searching the forum:

Best wishes.

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

20 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

This isn't actually true my friend, though I can understand why you might believe so.  Some virtual cockpits are done specifically for use with Wide Aspect and won't look correct if it's not used.

Hello Dave, can you give an example of such a cockpit? I don't believe it because I have long since satisfied myself that the projected image is identical regardless of whether that flag is on or off. To put it another way, I maintain with some confidence that any view you can achieve with Wide View Aspect Ratio set OFF can also be achieved with it set ON (but not vice versa) and that there is no way to distinguish between them just by looking.

If there are cockpits that look different according to the setting of the Wide View Aspect Ratio flag, and that don't use some kind of third-party view management, then I may have to revise my understanding.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

If I remember, the ifly  737 had two versions of each model, standard and wide view.

However, I never worked out why. Like you I believe wide view on covers all the bases. With wideview on you can zoom in and it will have the same projection as standard view.

5 minutes ago, tutmeister said:

If I remember, the ifly  737 had two versions of each model, standard and wide view.

However, I never worked out why. Like you I believe wide view on covers all the bases. With wideview on you can zoom in and it will have the same projection as standard view.

My guess would be that some people have modelled an alternative virtual cockpit with modified seat backs and/or bulkheads. This would give the option of moving the eyepoint back further rather than zooming out, so making more of the instrument panel visible. This would make sense for people with laptops or other physically small screens.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

1 hour ago, MarkDH said:

Hello Dave, can you give an example of such a cockpit?

The (my) Aerosoft Airbus Professional (All 8 aircraft).  There are others, but I can't list them off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, MarkDH said:

I don't believe it because I have long since satisfied myself that the projected image is identical regardless of whether that flag is on or off.

Hey, if you're satisfied that's all that matters. But do go through the thread I referenced, explains it very, very well.

Take care my friend.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

1 minute ago, DaveCT2003 said:

The (my) Aerosoft Airbus Professional (All 8 aircraft).  There are others, but I can't list them off the top of my head.

Hey, if you're satisfied that's all that matters. But do go through the thread I referenced, explains it very, very well.

I'm not sure why your Airbus offers alternative models. I have seen references to various reports of the HUDs in other aircraft behaving differently according to the WVA setting. If this is true I am fairly sure it will be because the developer is checking the flag and doing something different, which is very dubious practice. But I am fairly confident that if you experiment with your aircraft you will find that the virtual cockpit and the outside world behave exactly the same regardless of the setting of this flag, assuming you choose the equivalent zoom setting in each case.

I don't know which particular parts of that other thread you are referring to but the only detailed information in there seems to be from references to my own videos.

• Like 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

9 hours ago, mikeymike said:

thanks

mike

I have a 42 inch 4k and at .7 or .8 magnification the controls are just about full size. The looks out the windows look right. I'm wondering what magnification you run at in the sim and how realistic it looks at 55 inch?

Thanks

Rick

24 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

I'm not sure why your Airbus offers alternative models. I have seen references to various reports of the HUDs in other aircraft behaving differently according to the WVA setting. If this is true I am fairly sure it will be because the developer is checking the flag and doing something different, which is very dubious practice. But I am fairly confident that if you experiment with your aircraft you will find that the virtual cockpit and the outside world behave exactly the same regardless of the setting of this flag, assuming you choose the equivalent zoom setting in each case.

I don't know which particular parts of that other thread you are referring to but the only detailed information in there seems to be from references to my own videos.

You win the BIG whatever Mark, seriously man, whatever.

Dave Hodges

7 hours ago, Wink207 said:

I have a 42 inch 4k and at .7 or .8 magnification the controls are just about full size. The looks out the windows look right. I'm wondering what magnification you run at in the sim and how realistic it looks at 55 inch?

Thanks

Rick

I run it at. .7 which looks good.

mike