Sign in to follow this  
benwbriscoe

Regular crashes to desktop

3 hours ago, SteveW said:

Nvidia Control Panel, 3D settings, global tab Restore/Apply, in programs tab choose Prepar3D.exe profile if the Restore button isn't available make some change and apply it, then Restore/Apply that.

Generally use GeForce Experience, driver update, express install, reboot, restore/apply the global, and in the P3D profile make a change to something, apply it then restore/apply.

Both my systems regularly suffered the device hung problem before I did that ^^

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

If you load a new driver the capabilities might have changed which presents a different set of bits even though the Restore button is not available. The quickest way to ensure the driver is clean is to follow the procedure I showed above. Also do that if changing settings and moving from v4 to v5 or after trying out settings in Nvidia Profile Inspector.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

33 minutes ago, F737NG said:

- Have you tried locking your frames to your monitor refresh rate either with P3D setting Target Frame Rate or with an external frame rate limiter (e.g. Nvidia Control Panel or Riva Tuner)?

Thanks for all the tips. How do I do this?

42 minutes ago, benwbriscoe said:

Thanks for all the tips. How do I do this?

You're welcome.

For Nvidia Control Panel (assuming you are using an Nvidia graphics card, of course):
https://www.howtogeek.com/509097/how-to-set-a-maximum-frame-rate-in-nvidias-drivers/

For limiting FPS in general:
https://graphicscardhub.com/fps-limiter/

One thing to note is that external FPS limiters can only be set before the target program runs, unlike P3D's own FPS limiter (Target Frame Rate) which can be adjusted and take effect while P3D is running.

I suggest searching for related FPS topics on the P3D forum here about what FPS limits are recommended. I would have linked some threads, but the forum search function appears to be down again.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

With all these settings changed and a FPS limiter of 30 added, I'm still only getting 12-13 fps at EGLL (SimWings) with QW 787.

Seems really low and not at all enjoyable or immersive. 

2 hours ago, benwbriscoe said:

With all these settings changed and a FPS limiter of 30 added, I'm still only getting 12-13 fps at EGLL (SimWings) with QW 787.

Seems really low and not at all enjoyable or immersive. 

What settings are you running now? Please post a new set of screenshots of your current settings, similar to what you did earlier in this thread.

- What is your monitor refresh rate?
- Have you overclocked your CPU on all cores?
- Is hyperthreading turned on or off?

- Open Windows Task Manager, are there any other programs or processes using a lot of system resources on your PC at the same time P3D is running?
- Any antivirus program running realtime protection on running programs and accessed folders while P3D running?
- Is Windows Game Mode turned off?
- Right-click on the P3D icon, next click on Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, ensure that 'Disable fullscreen optimizations' is selected.
- Is your Windows' Virtual Memory set to Automatically Managed?
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/how-to-manage-virtual-memory-pagefile-windows-10,36929.html
- In Nvidia Control Panel, set 'Power Management Mode' to 'Prefer Maximum Performance'
https://youtu.be/vni-4KLMFPs?t=171
                                                                                                                                                                        - Turn off all traffic (airline, GA, road and ship) for now. Just to see what results you are getting without the added stress of traffic hitting your CPU.

- Another check, have you manually added an affinity mask under [Jobscheduler] in your Prepar3D.cfg file?

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Why did RivaTuner Statistics Server stop working with frame restrictions in P3Dv5 ?

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

The thing I did was get rid of RTSS no problems after this

2 hours ago, BMW969 said:

Why did RivaTuner Statistics Server stop working with frame restrictions in P3Dv5 ?

It hasn’t for me? Using scan line/2 

12 hours ago, F737NG said:

What settings are you running now? Please post a new set of screenshots of your current settings, similar to what you did earlier in this thread.

- What is your monitor refresh rate?
- Have you overclocked your CPU on all cores?
- Is hyperthreading turned on or off?

- Open Windows Task Manager, are there any other programs or processes using a lot of system resources on your PC at the same time P3D is running?
- Any antivirus program running realtime protection on running programs and accessed folders while P3D running?
- Is Windows Game Mode turned off?
- Right-click on the P3D icon, next click on Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, ensure that 'Disable fullscreen optimizations' is selected.
- Is your Windows' Virtual Memory set to Automatically Managed?
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/how-to-manage-virtual-memory-pagefile-windows-10,36929.html
- In Nvidia Control Panel, set 'Power Management Mode' to 'Prefer Maximum Performance'
https://youtu.be/vni-4KLMFPs?t=171
                                                                                                                                                                        - Turn off all traffic (airline, GA, road and ship) for now. Just to see what results you are getting without the added stress of traffic hitting your CPU.

- Another check, have you manually added an affinity mask under [Jobscheduler] in your Prepar3D.cfg file?

Great, thanks for all this. 
- My monitor refresh rate is 59Hz
- How do I overclock my CPU (sorry, newbie to all of this)?
- I assume hyperthreading is on as I haven't turned it off and would surely be on as default?

Cheers

26 minutes ago, benwbriscoe said:

Great, thanks for all this. 
- My monitor refresh rate is 59Hz
- How do I overclock my CPU (sorry, newbie to all of this)?
- I assume hyperthreading is on as I haven't turned it off and would surely be on as default?

We're at the stage where are too many potential sources that could be causing your poor performance.

It's not the answer you are looking for, however everyone here has started at the beginning and read the many threads here in the P3D forums, in the Hardware forums (https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/326-mobo-ram-cpu-hdd-ssd-desktops-laptops/) and other hardware websites on how to setup your sim and how to setup your PC to get the best performance possible.

I have given you a list of ideas for you to try. Test them, but for now ignore my previous comments about locking FPS. Set your Target Frame Rate in P3D's settings back to unlimited, remove any external frame rate limiter (if you applied one) and ensure that there is no affinity mask manually added to your Prepar3D.cfg file.

Read-up on how to safely overclock your CPU, there are plenty of websites and YouTube videos that show you how.

Learn how to turn-off hyperthreading in your bios and try it.
Two reasons:
1. Historically, CPUs worked better in P3D when hyperthreading is turned off.
2. It could be that when using P3D your CPU temperature climbs high enough for the chip to throttle performance (80-85ºC when throttling starts to kick in). HT causes the CPU to work harder and so generates more heat.
Check what temp is being reached while you are using P3D in an intense scenario currently.

When you've done all that, get back to basics and play around with the settings one at a time until you find a happy balance between what eyecandy you see and how smoothly your PC displays it.

While your PC is very good, even more powerful ones than yours have to compromise on what can be used and displayed at the same time.

Just done a quick experiment, jumping around different airports including FSDT KDFW and Fly Tampa LGAV etc. All at 30fps

Go to SimWings EGLL and it drops to 13. Someone needs to develop a framerate friendly version of Heathrow...!