Sign in to follow this  
Inf1425

FSX Some scenery areas are messed up

Most of Asia seems to be buggy, mainly the airport textures. I do not have any scenery addons installed so I do not know what could be causing the problem.
I have already tried a repair operation which didn't do anything to solve the problem.
I have attached some screenshots, any help would be massively appreciated.
https://imgur.com/a/OnygRlK

WELCOME to AVSIM! My first suggestion would have been to check for any scenery add-ons installed, but you said that this isn't the case. No idea, sorry!

Are you using Steam Edition FSX or another version?

Other members might have ideas or further questions to try and help.

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

4 hours ago, Inf1425 said:

I do not have any scenery addons installed

Hi, did you previously use any scenery add-ons which you subsequently uninstalled? 

Bill

I had a few aiport addons installed into the 'Addon Scenery' Folder but I have removed them from the scenery library and deleted them.

The reason I asked that question is that automated installers can occasionally place additional files in places you might not expect, a common one being the FSX scenery\world\scenery folder and deleting the airport scenery folder from ‘Addon Scenery’, for example, may leave an associated file or files behind elsewhere which can be a source of problems. This can also occasionally happen with automated uninstallers. Furthermore an automated uninstaller can sometimes remove a file which replaced a default file when it was installed without restoring the default file which again can cause problems. I have lost some default FSX texture and effects files as a result of poorly optimised uninstallers over the years. Indeed the black patches in one of your screenshots suggests missing textures or textures failing to load.

When you come across an unexplained problem such as yours it is always worth trying to identify what were the last few things you might have changed, added or removed prior to the problem arising. Unfortunately this can occasionally be something that occurred quite a long time previously, which can make identifying the cause even more difficult!

Just some thoughts which might help you.

Bill

Edited by scianoir
  • Like 1

The other times I have seen this issue is with the order of the scenery areas in the scenery library. I would recommend you download SceneryConfigEditor if you haven't already and install it.  Here is the link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/

You can also use the default scenery manager is FSX, I just find SceneryConfigEditor easier to use.

The basic order of the scenery from the bottom up:

Default Terrain

Default Scenery

0000 Base to 1107 Base (96 in total)

Africa

Asia

Australia

Eastern and Western Europe

Eastern, Central and Western America

Oceania

South America

Specific default Cites and airports

Addon Scenery

If you find other addon sceneries, these could be your issue if they are not in the right order.

Let us know if this and or any other suggestions worked for future reference.

John Cottreau

Edited by johncott

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

12 hours ago, scianoir said:

I have lost some default FSX texture and effects files as a result of poorly optimised uninstallers over the years. Indeed the black patches in one of your screenshots suggests missing textures or textures failing to load.

I see. Do you think a repair operation would be enough to fix these or would I require a complete reinstall?

12 hours ago, johncott said:

If you find other addon sceneries, these could be your issue if they are not in the right order.

My scenery library was in the correct order already

8 hours ago, Inf1425 said:

Do you think a repair operation would be enough to fix these or would I require a complete reinstall?

To be honest, I am not sure whether the repair option would restore any lost  files or whether it might affect any files needed by addons (perhaps someone with knowledge of the restore option could advise you on this) but if you don’t have many addons then a repair might be worth a try and would be easier I imagine than a complete reinstallation.

In the past I have restored individual lost files from a backup I keep of a basic FSX installation on a separate external drive which I find comes in useful from time to time. 

Bill

Sorry, I completely forgot to reply here after the reinstall. The reinstall fixed the problem for me and now all scenery areas are fine. Thanks for the help everyone!

Edited by Inf1425
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Inf1425 said:

Sorry, I completely forgot to reply here after the reinstall. The reinstall fixed the problem for me and now all scenery areas are fine. Thanks for the help everyone!

Good to hear.  I read this thread and was going to suggest a reinstallation of FSX.  I stopped using several add-ons (found better add-ons) and found reinstalling easier than to try to troubleshoot why the resultant scenery was messed up despite unchecking all add-on scenery.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors