Sign in to follow this  
Evros

Do multiple active AFCADs hurt performance?

Hi,

I was wondering if I should disable all excessive AFCADs in the sim. Example would be where ORBX regional scenery has enhanced AFCAD packed with it but I also use full fat third party addon scenery. In that case I would have base scenery, ORBX scenery and addon scenery AFCADS active. It doesn't create any visual anomalies, I always make sure of that, but I'd like to know can they hurt performance. My observation has been that they dont, but I'd like to know what others think.

While you may not get any performance issues, graphical anomalies are common with conflicting airport files as well as odd AI behaviour and also GSX issues. My personal take on it is leaving duplicates active in the sim is sloppy, keep it tidy.

• Like 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

You will always have 2 addon and base, a good third party developer will turn off other CAD files on install, and if you now use V5 it gets even more tricky editing with ADE 177 can cause problems if the addon is still using V4 CAD files and you edit them with ADE 177 v5 compatible ADE. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

The supplied AFCAD with any 3rd party airport will automatically take priority over the default. If you identify the default AFCAD for that airport you'll find that it includes many other airports so if you disable the relevant BGL those other airports won't be available.

Some say duplicate AFCADs can cause CTDs but I've never experienced that. If the scenery works  then leave well alone. And no, performance is not affected.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks all for your input. When I install new airport, I always do a thorough visual inspection to identify any conflicts. If there are, then I look into afcads in play, otherwise I keep it as is. I have no CTD issues and if performance is not affected then I guess it is all good. Still on v4.5H2 at the moment.