Sign in to follow this  
bigmike

Oculus Rift S questions

Hi guys,

i have seen today,that the Rift S is now available again here in Germany for 450,-€.

Can you recommend it for P3D v4 and v5?

I wear glasses,is there enough distance to the lenses,so that they will not be scratched?

Is it easy to set up the Rift S in both Sims?

It`s a lot of money for me,but the immersion must be outstanding from my reading in the German FSMagazine.

Thanks for your answers.

Mike

Yes I would recommend it. I use it with both P3D versions as well as DCS, Aerofly, and Xplane 11. I wear glasses with mine but the frames can’t be too wide. After market prescription insert lens can also be purchased to eliminate the need for glasses.

I will say once you fly with VR it provides a whole new level of immersion particularly the depth perception. Unfortunately you need to reduce some of the eye candy settings so not to introduce stuttering. I establish two profile settings in P3D, one called monitor settings and one called VR settings that I toggle back and forth with. The use of programmed buttons (I use LINDA but FSUIPC can work as well) and VoiceAttack help a great deal with controlling buttons, switches, and levers but strategically placing your mouse also works well. Once you develop the muscle memory of where all your controllers are it fine. Additionally I remove the nose piece on the Rift to be able to tilt my head up and see down my nose to view things. You can also toggle to an external view that is a bit crude but works. I find myself flying GA aircraft more in VR and my A320 in monitor mode but also switch back and forth on the A320.

Bottom line we are at a point where VR is now worth a go and quite amazing however some people do get VR sickness and most need to ease into using it. Is VR as clear and beautiful as 4K monitor flying with a powerful system, no but the feel of actually flying is remarkable. The immersion in sims like DCS is spectacular.

Good luck and if you proceed there are several tricks to optimize VR performance you will learn along the way.

Joe

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

Thank you,Joe.

I just see,the Rift S is again not available here,must be an Corona thing.

I hope to get one soon.

Mike

Edited by bigmike

51 minutes ago, bigmike said:

Thank you,Joe.

I hope to get one soon.

Mike

Hey mike.

I’m a massive fan of the Rift S in P3D, particularly as a first headset (it was my 5th headset, and still my favorite).

If you see one again, just buy it.

Cheers!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Thank you,Rob.

I think,i will buy one when available here.

Mike

4 hours ago, bigmike said:

Thank you,Joe.

I hope to get one soon.

Mike

I bought one, but so far I don't like it that much.  It just sits on the table. I much prefer TrackIR5.

I purchased the Rift S half a year ago and I didn‘t make a single flight without since that date. Flying in VR is so much more realistic that there is no going back for me at all. My TrackIR5 is collecting dust ...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Felix

I only keep TrackIR for sentimental reasons....And in case my VR headset goes tits up.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

27 minutes ago, signmanbob said:

I bought one, but so far I don't like it that much.  It just sits on the table. I much prefer TrackIR5.

I’m actually in the same boat, maybe a bit of an outlier.  In my case though, I will add that I have the Rift and not the Rift S meaning I have to deal with the remote sensors that my cats have a habit of knocking over leading me to recalibrate a lot.  That wasn’t the only reason I never got too far into VR, the the calibration is definitely annoying.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I have been amazed at how much more immersive the sims are with VR. As mentioned above, there is no going back, at least not for me. The depth perception you get with VR really enhances the feeling that you are really there. I also have the Rift S. This is my first headset. I've had it a little more than half a year, and I haven't done a single flight without it since I got it. I do have a scratch on one lens, so I'll eventually have to part with it long enough to get it fixed. I do wear glasses, and there is enough space between the lenses (and it is adjustable) to keep from scratching them. And with so many new headsets about to hit the market, I wouldn't be surprised if the price for the Rift S comes down some, so maybe it not being available when you try to order it might just be a blessing. Only time will tell. I'm sure you will enjoy your new headset once you get it. I was blown away, and did get a little nauseous, on my first few flights. Hope to hear from you once you've tried it out a few times.

If you have the money, pick it up. While I’m on the Samsung Odyssey +, VR when setup right on a decent system is amazing for immersion. Fly St. Bart’s in VR and enjoy...

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

Hi,

You might want to consider the HP Reverb G1 instead: 2160x2160x2 and working great with simulators.

NB: HP is already taking pre-orders in the US (soon WW) for the HP Reverb G2 which is supposedly shipping this fall. There is most likely a new Samsung this year but no announcement so far. Last but not least, Valve Index shipments are back in huge numbers for the last 2 weeks in NA, expected the same in EU next week (most likely there is a transatlantic boat right now arriving to NL this weekend).

The advantage of HP and Valve (don't know for Samsung): they are not in the business of reselling your usage and personal information to advertisers.

Edited by RXP
  • Like 2

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Will look into the HP Reverb G2 then, how well does it compare to the Rift S?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

8 hours ago, regis9 said:

I’m actually in the same boat, maybe a bit of an outlier.  In my case though, I will add that I have the Rift and not the Rift S meaning I have to deal with the remote sensors that my cats have a habit of knocking over leading me to recalibrate a lot.  That wasn’t the only reason I never got too far into VR, the the calibration is definitely annoying.

Well, i don’t know which Oculus model you’re referrring to (?CV1)

but

as someone who currently owns the Oculus DK2, CV1, GO, Quest and Rift S - as well as three other HMDs - I can say that  the Rift S is massively easier to use for most people as there’s no sensors or sensor callibration. So if you don’t want to shoot the cats, swapping to the Rift S would definitely be a winning idea. 

Ease of use and simplicity of setup is why I invariably recommend the Rift S to flightsimmers looking for their first HMD.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

4 hours ago, captain420 said:

Will look into the HP Reverb G2 then, how well does it compare to the Rift S?

EDIT: Sorry don't know about Rift-S but know about comparing Reverb G1 to G2. G2 will have better sound than G1, brighter display and the barrel lens distortion should be fixed. Basically G2 is like a refresh version of G1 so if you are really keen no need to wait since res and FOV will be the same.

Edited by glider1
  • Like 1