Sign in to follow this  
neil0311

P3D v5 versus v4. Worth upgrading?

13 hours ago, brucewtb said:

Well the only improvement I noticed moving from 4.5 to 5.x was a performance gain of about 15%.  Visually no difference and maybe worse.  I don't care for EA or Volumetric clouds (at least compared to the way 3D clouds are depicted in MS2020 which despite imperfections is considerably better than P3D).  And now with the update from 5.2 to 5.3 I seem to have a 20% drop in frame rates that I am attempting to debug - so that performance gain of 15% has vanished. Glad I kept 4.5 installed particularly as the F1 GTN 750 doesn't look like being supported beyond 5.3 HF2.

Bruce

Thanks for the info on the F1 GTN, I do use it, so if it's done for after 5.3 HF2, and as you said that the latest version went backward in performance than I guess I will stay put atm.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

With my 4GB 1650, I'm not sure I can go to 5.3, even at 1080p. What do you think? GPU prices are silly, and here they are even sillier ($1300 for a 3060).

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

6 hours ago, Luis Hernandez said:

With my 4GB 1650, I'm not sure I can go to 5.3, even at 1080p. What do you think? GPU prices are silly, and here they are even sillier ($1300 for a 3060).

No, you can’t I’m afraid. You’d have to lower settings so much it wouldn’t be worth it.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks Ray! I was fearing this would be the answer. Looks like I have no option but to save some money (and hope prices go down a bit). MSFS is also running GPU limited in my rig. 

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

16 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

Thanks Ray! I was fearing this would be the answer. Looks like I have no option but to save some money (and hope prices go down a bit). MSFS is also running GPU limited in my rig. 

It is frustrating for those who want a more powerful card. There might be better news in the second half of 2022.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12 hours ago, Luis Hernandez said:

I also have a 4GB 1650 GPU and an old I7-2600 at 3.4Ghz and manage to run the latest P3D 5.3HF2, IMHO very satisfactorily.

While I know it can appear a lot better with upgraded hardware I still get a lot of pleasure and useful performance from my mediocre setup.

I run it with ORBX Global base/ TE England/ A lot of ORBX Airports/ A lot of UK2000 Airports (very good on Vram)/ ASP3D/ ASCA/ UTX Europe/ Pro-ATC/X  and Toga Envtex/Envshade among other addons.

I have uploaded my settings which I think give me a fair balance between performance and visuals, given the spec. of my computer. With these settings I very seldom run out of Vram, however certain sceneries are a 'no-no', eg. EHAM V2 .

I have also uploaded a few screenshots ( which for some reason have been SEVERELY compressed and have lost a lot of definition ) which look so much better defined, clearer and brighter on my monitor. Incidentally, which I run at 75Hz and utilizing 1/2 Vsynch I seldom drop below 27-30FPS, and with V5.3 is very,very smooth, unless at night in a 'heavy' airport.

The first 3 pics are out of Dundee with the FSX Beechcraft and the next 3 are a low pass over Dover with the PMDG 737.

They are just to give you an idea what to expect, but do remember, it is a lot clearer 'in the flesh'.

Have a look anyway:-

All Pics here.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Sparkrite

The settings are where I would probably have an issue with v5. Simply put, I do not do autogen settings below maximum. Anything less results in a "scattershot effect" with respect to autogen buildings that I absolutely hate (which can be seen in your departure from Dundee screenshot). It really is all or nothing for me where autogen is concerned. Of course, I have 6GB VRAM on my GTX 980Ti, but I am extremely reluctant to take the risk.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

14 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

The settings are where I would probably have an issue with v5. Simply put, I do not do autogen settings below maximum. Anything less results in a "scattershot effect" with respect to autogen buildings that I absolutely hate (which can be seen in your departure from Dundee screenshot). It really is all or nothing for me where autogen is concerned. Of course, I have 6GB VRAM on my GTX 980Ti, but I am extremely reluctant to take the risk.

Chris, I don't quite understand what you mean by "scattershot". In the Dundee shot do you mean that there are clumps of buildings, whereas you would expect there to be more concentrated areas?

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

30 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Anything less results in a "scattershot effect" with respect to autogen buildings that I absolutely hate (which can be seen in your departure from Dundee screenshot).

You got me wondering, so..........

spacer.png

Here's a shot of (practically) the same position, but with all 3 'autogen' sliders to their max.

I'm sure there has to be a difference, but I can't see it, never mind notice it.

I am referring to the departure screenshot, not the two that you have displayed here. It is the second screenshot displayed when I click on your "All Pics Here" link.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

20 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

It is the second screenshot displayed when I click on your "All Pics Here" link.

Ah right, this one so.........

spacer.png

This is with all 3 'autogen' sliders to their max and yes you can see a difference as opposed to my usual settings.

Not (IMO) a massive difference but nevertheless a difference that some may have a problem with, fortunately I don't.

Even if I did I would have a bigger problem with justifying spending £2K+ to rectify it. 😁

Obviously running P3D with my low end specs. necessitates 'cut backs' somewhere but I mainly posted in reference to @Luis Hernandez question to let him know that it is indeed possible and to show what he could expect, in some 'shape or form' if he was to upgrade. Certainly for me V5 runs a lot better than V4.

• Like 1

This is why I am sticking with P3Dv4. Anything less than maximum autogen density is not acceptable to me. Anything less than maximum scenery complexity is not acceptable to me. Anything less than 4xSSAA @ 1080p resolution is not acceptable to me. Yes, I am a flightsim developer's worst nightmare. No, I am not going to change :wink::laugh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Anything less than 4xSSAA @ 1080p resolution is not acceptable to me.

Phew, at least I meet one of your requirements.😁

3 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

This is why I am sticking with P3Dv4

Well, your choice obviously, but as I said V5 runs noticeably better than V4 ever did for me.

Now, if you'll excuse me I have to go and lop a few of those pesky trees that have just appeared west of Dundee.😁😁

3 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Anything less than maximum autogen density is not acceptable to me. Anything less than maximum scenery complexity is not acceptable to me

A simmer after my own heart 🙂

How's this for MAX autogen.

Can you name the City ?

Cheers 🙂

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

• Like 2

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

1 hour ago, Rogen said:

A simmer after my own heart 🙂

How's this for MAX autogen.

Can you name the City ?

Nice. That *is* a lot of autogen.

I see Pão de Açúcar and Cristo Redentor in the background.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter