Sign in to follow this  
chapstick

V5 HF2 arriving early next week

17 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

The same dirty little plaster the flight school and military will be doing with 50 plus installs.....? 

I think anyone handling 50 workstations would be doing a Managed Install...or something similar.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

They won't do a full installation  I'm afraid Simbol.  They like down and dirty quick fixes like a magic bullet theory. 

Alas I can't agree more, surely a full reinstall will be better in the long run but they will just skip it and do the client only you watch and we will have pages of topics on here about sims not starting,  sims disappeared from the desktop, ctds and all sorts.  You're talking to the wall mate, they won't do it. 

Let me quote LM:

"The hotfix will only require a client update. Updating content and scenery will be optional but will have fixes as well if needed for your use case."

So LM says that only the client is required, the rest is optional. If the users follow the official instructions, are the users really to blame if the sim crashes because they didn't upgrade all packages? In my opinion - absolutely not. If crashes and other seriously bad things can happen if you only upgrade the client, LM should tell us. We shouldn't be blamed and humiliated for following the official instructions.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Reinstalling all three components isn't nearly as intimidating as it sounds. You'll just need to reinstall things that change default content, e.g. texture packs, EditVoicePack, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

They won't do a full installation  I'm afraid Simbol.  They like down and dirty quick fixes like a magic bullet theory. 

Alas I can't agree more, surely a full reinstall will be better in the long run but they will just skip it and do the client only you watch and we will have pages of topics on here about sims not starting,  sims disappeared from the desktop, ctds and all sorts.  You're talking to the wall mate, they won't do it. 

The idea of LM was that with updates we could do partial updates meaning mostly only the Client.

This is the 3rd update in a row that we are advised to do a full install again.

If LM releases 2 updates a year and we would have to do 2 full installations + reinstalling several Addons than that is not a positive development to me ...

And indeed that I won’t do ..

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 minute ago, Chapstick said:

Reinstalling all three components isn't nearly as intimidating as it sounds. You'll just need to reinstall things that change default content, e.g. texture packs, EditVoicePack, etc.

That's absolutely true. I've always installed the whole package and it never took more than one hour to have all in place. Now, that I have ORBX completely shifted to libraries, I guess even Global Base must not be re-installed.

• Like 4

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

4 minutes ago, GSalden said:

The idea of LM was that with updates we could do partial updates meaning mostly only the Client.

If LM releases 2 updates a year and we would have to do 2 full installations + reinstalling several Addons than that is not a positive development to me ...

They haven’t advised to do a full update though. You can just do the client update. 

• Like 1

ill throw a guess they are telling big corporate clients what they want to hear.   

If you told the IT department at my airline that they had to spend an hour per each pc x 25 pc's to update them they would  go nuts.  thats not what the IT guy wants to hear or do.

They want a quick ticket to fix and move onto the next ticket on the list.  Least thats how its worked in the last 3 big companies ive worked for.

If simbol is suggesting a reinstall,  Ill take is advice over a employee at LM who refused to listen to Rob and Simbol and  went ahead bowing to commercial pressure to release v5 when we all know they shouldnt of done that early.

• Like 1

14ppkc-6.png

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

problem is Gerald, us simmers are chicken feed compare to their corporate clients.

14ppkc-6.png

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

That's absolutely true. I've always installed the whole package and it never took more than one hour to have all in place. Now, that I have ORBX completely shifted to libraries, I guess even Global Base must not be re-installed.

You will only need to verify files in ORBX Central, it will re-install the textures in the main p3d folder. Those are still in there even if you have the library outside. 

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

They haven’t advised to do a full update though. You can just do the client update. 

That is true but I have a feeling that a full install will help the best with all issues that are present in HF1 and HF2..

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

11 hours ago, vvince said:

You don't have to uninstall the whole P3D application, but you have to uninstall / reinstall the separate components : uninstall /reinstall is needed for the client component but is optional for the content and scenery components.

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=120861

As for the add-ons : the one installed with the add-on.xml method should be fine, for the other one it depends...

Good luck.

This is what I was dreading...total confusion on my part.

Ok, I'm a flight sim pilot, I am NOT in any way a PC expert who can go in and edit config files etc. I want to know what is the easiest way to apply the fix that works the best...?

Also, I have a lot of add-ons installed (which all helpfully came with their own installer!), but do I have to manually reinstall them all if I reinstall P3D?

• Like 1

I have not flown P3dv5 HF 2 for a couple of weeks. Pretty much gave up until the next HF because of CTD's and VRAM issues (related). 

The whole experience of enjoying a flight with wonderful skies was just beyond the reach of my system i7 4770k, 16Gb Ram, 8GB GTX 2080, Windows 10. I use the very latest Nvidia Drivers. My personal experiences mirror many users apparently. Vram usage varied based on aircraft type.. The Maddog was okay, but Aerosoft airbusses hovered around 6.2.and any change to weather or environment tipped it out. TFDI's 717 a no fly even with Realight disabled .I can fly Realair's Dukes sop that has been my goto.

I am looking forward to the coming HF and hopefully, it will allow me to fly some of the more complicated aircraft without CTD's and also allow me to switch between aircraft - run decent weather ... we shall see.

I will be installing only the client initially. If that is a success, I will look to perhaps installing the other parts. Just my 2 cents.

32 minutes ago, benwbriscoe said:

This is what I was dreading...total confusion on my part.

Ok, I'm a flight sim pilot, I am NOT in any way a PC expert who can go in and edit config files etc. I want to know what is the easiest way to apply the fix that works the best...?

Also, I have a lot of add-ons installed (which all helpfully came with their own installer!), but do I have to manually reinstall them all if I reinstall P3D?

Not sure about others did update, but I have lot's of add-ons as well. Last time I uninstalled all components and installed fresh HF1 at the same place where I had it and all worked, no issues. Not sure about ORBX but I believe I had to verify all files. And that's it. Hopefully this time I could repeat same process.

Edited by cyyzrwy24

Virtual Air Canada - Alex Luzajic

I think there will be a change log also for content and scenery. Depending on that I will decide if I only upgrade the client or also content and scenery.

A propos, what's contained in content? Airplanes probably?

And what part of installation will overwrite the files where Aerosoft points to the folders where their addon xml files are stored?

Questions above questions....

Karl

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

10 minutes ago, kaha said:

I think there will be a change log also for content and scenery. Depending on that I will decide if I only upgrade the client or also content and scenery.

A propos, what's contained in content? Airplanes probably?

And what part of installation will overwrite the files where Aerosoft points to the folders where their addon xml files are stored?

Questions above questions....

Karl

Content - most likely needed for improvements to PBR 

Scenery - they've been making a lot of fixes to the new vector data

• Upvote 1