Sign in to follow this  
chapstick

V5 HF2 arriving early next week

2 hours ago, GSalden said:

That is true but I have a feeling that a full install will help the best with all issues that are present in HF1 and HF2..

That's my whole point 

14ppkc-6.png

1 hour ago, kaha said:

I think there will be a change log also for content and scenery. Depending on that I will decide if I only upgrade the client or also content and scenery.

A propos, what's contained in content? Airplanes probably?

And what part of installation will overwrite the files where Aerosoft points to the folders where their addon xml files are stored?

Questions above questions....

Karl

There always had been change logs for all three components.

• Upvote 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

15 hours ago, vvince said:

You don't have to uninstall the whole P3D application, but you have to uninstall / reinstall the separate components : uninstall /reinstall is needed for the client component but is optional for the content and scenery components.

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=120861

As for the add-ons : the one installed with the add-on.xml method should be fine, for the other one it depends...

Good luck.

OH MY GOD!

Now my head is in a spin. Without talking about changelog or pagefiles can someone just explain in really basic terms what I need to do and what happens with the add ons I've already bought?!

This is my first P3D product and I'm getting to the point of regretting it almost... Convince me otherwise...!

2 hours ago, kaha said:

A propos, what's contained in content? Airplanes probably?

And what part of installation will overwrite the files where Aerosoft points to the folders where their addon xml files are stored?

Karl, the following information was for P3Dv4 but I guess it is still valid for V5. Here are the folders that are removed / updated by each component:

Install_ Client.msi - Licences, propdefs, Scaleform, ShadersHLSL, trinton

Install_ Content.msi - Scripts, redist, SimObjects, Weather, Scenarios, Ecosystem, Fonts, Autogen, Effects, gauges, Sound, Texture

Install_ Scenery.msi - Scenery

Remember, the installers will not remove or overwrite any files installed by 3rd parties UNLESS it is a p3d file that had been modified by the 3rd party. Nothing is deleted except native p3d files.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Normand

Intel i7 9700K @ 4.9 GHz / Asus Prime Z390-A / 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz / MSI RTX 4080 / PSU 750 Watt / Microsoft Flight Simulator / Windows 10 Pro x64

10 hours ago, GSalden said:

The idea of LM was that with updates we could do partial updates meaning mostly only the Client.

This is the 3rd update in a row that we are advised to do a full install again.

If LM releases 2 updates a year and we would have to do 2 full installations + reinstalling several Addons than that is not a positive development to me ...

And indeed that I won’t do ..

I agree full re installations should not be necessary in fact even with a full re install you can still have a ton of issues once introducing all addons back in, I say follow LM instructions and if there are issues do the full re install only then. I have lots of little batch files for changing hardware, aircraft etc and its a real pain doing a full install and takes more than a few hours to get back to where it was

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

4 hours ago, benwbriscoe said:

OH MY GOD!

Now my head is in a spin. Without talking about changelog or pagefiles can someone just explain in really basic terms what I need to do and what happens with the add ons I've already bought?!

This is my first P3D product and I'm getting to the point of regretting it almost... Convince me otherwise...!

@benwbriscoe It can sound pretty daunting, but since you've managed to get P3D V5 and various add-ons installed already, it should be pretty straight forward.

Basically, you'll download the 3 installer files and any of the additional .cab files that LM release:

• Install_Client.msi,
  • install_Content.msi
  • install_Scenery.msi 
  • cont1.cab, scene1.cab, scene2.cab, etc.

Then from the Windows Start button, go to Settings > Apps and find Prepar3D v5 Academic Client in the list. Click the Uninstall option and it will start the uninstall program. It will ask you, if you want to deactivate your P3D v5 installation. Select NO for this. Then let the uninstaller do it's thing. Then you run the Install_Client.msi, and the Client component of the hot Fix will be installed. Then you do the same uninstall/install process for the Content and Scenery components.

That should be it! There shouldn't be any issues with your add-ons, but if there are, you can bet nearly everybody else with that add-on will have the same issue, so you'll see forum posts about it.

The upgrade instructions are  in the Updating Prepar3D v5 section: https://www.prepar3d.com/Prepar3D_Download_and_Install_Instructions_v5.pdf

Hopefully HF2 will address most of the issues about VRAM and things will become a lot more stable with this version. Then, hopefully you'll not need any convincing about P3D.

• Like 1

Pete Gordon

ASUS TUF Z370-Plus | i7-8700k | 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GTX 1080 |  1TB SSD

18 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

They won't do a full installation  I'm afraid Simbol.  They like down and dirty quick fixes like a magic bullet theory. 

Alas I can't agree more, surely a full reinstall will be better in the long run but they will just skip it and do the client only you watch and we will have pages of topics on here about sims not starting,  sims disappeared from the desktop, ctds and all sorts.  You're talking to the wall mate, they won't do it. 

So true. As a MSFS Alpha tester, all I will say is save your cash for later this year... 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, gb09f said:

So true. As a MSFS Alpha tester, all I will say is save your cash for later this year... 

Flight Unlimited 4? FS World resurrected? Jacob's buying back the rights to CLUB biscuits, and giving us a proper Mint Club again with thick, dark chocolate?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Lol.

As a MSFS Alpha tester, and as much as I love it, all I will say is that P3D will remain at least 2 more years on my computer and will continue to amaze me every day.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

If you have to buy all planes and airports again, then you will undoubtedly leave P3D for a long time.

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

1 hour ago, gb09f said:

Please not another Microsoft fanbboy in a p3d forum - you probably don't get it ...

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

kind regards, ggerolamo

spacer.png                       spacer.png

28 minutes ago, ggerolamo said:

Please not another Microsoft fanbboy in a p3d forum - you probably don't get it ...

Thanks for saying this. I totally agree 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

Thanks for saying this. I totally agree 

I had my tongue tucked firmly in my cheek. I actually believe all the sim products cater to different enthusiasts. It's amazing that we have such a choice these days. Keep the blue side up. 

3 hours ago, gb09f said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Give me a break. So tired of this garbage on the P3D boards.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, gb09f said:

As a fan of Prepar3d who will also fly MSFS when it comes out, all i can say is:

1. You’re meant to be under an NDA.

2. This is a P3D forum. If you want to talk about how amazing MSFS is, there is a wonderful forum for doing just that.

Edited by OzWhitey
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."