Sign in to follow this  
chapstick

V5 HF2 arriving early next week

54 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Give me a break. So tired of this garbage on the P3D boards.  

My comment was inappropriate.and ill judged. I apologise. 

Serious question: Does V5 make better use of multi core processors or are people having better smoothness with hyper threading off?

Thanks. 

Edited by gb09f
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, gb09f said:

Serious question: Does V5 make better use of multi core processors or are people having better smoothness with hyper threading off?

Thanks. 

Biggest gain with P3Dv5 is DX12, but has also a downside (VRAM management ;-))

André

29 minutes ago, gb09f said:

Thanks. 

Have a look here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/575988-good-framerates-major-stutters-pauses/ 

It's a very long one but worth to read. Hyperthreading comes later, I followed SteveW's advise on that - temperatures lowered and smoothest sim ever.

Good luck

Mick

PC: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite, AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 TI, DDR5 G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 2X32 GB, Corsair HX 1000, Fractal Torrent, Samsung LC32 / G7 1440P.

WHAT IS THE REAL DIFFERENCE..... if I uninstall old Client, re-install new Client; uninstall old Content, re-install new Content; uninstall old Scenery, re-install new Scenery.....

FROM......a totally NEW re-installation of P3d?

I don't get the difference.  After all, I'm removing everything except my license information.  Right?  AND I'm getting to keep all my addons that I've painstakingly had to find and re-install.

Stan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spilok said:

WHAT IS THE REAL DIFFERENCE..... if I uninstall old Client, re-install new Client; uninstall old Content, re-install new Content; uninstall old Scenery, re-install new Scenery.....

FROM......a totally NEW re-installation of P3d?

I don't get the difference.  After all, I'm removing everything except my license information.  Right?  AND I'm getting to keep all my addons that I've painstakingly had to find and re-install.

Stan

I don't think there's a difference, and I note that others earlier in the thread seemed to be stressed about this process.

Here's my recommendation (though do whatever LM says on release):

1. Uninstall P3D v5. Do not delete any remaining files. If you are asked if you want to deactivate the program, say no.

2. Install the new P3D v5 HF2 program.

3. There is no step 3. You are already finished.

Seriously, this is really easy, there should be no need to overcomplicate things and it should take 15 minutes.

The small print:

a. If you have an addon that alters the core files - which is not meant to happen - you will need to reinstall that. I have a lot of addons, but very little that falls into that category. Maybe Active Sky needs simconnect AsConnect reinstalled? (I believe I've been prompted to do that in the past, corrected as per mrlip's post, yes it's ASConnect). But there should be very little need to do anything else. If something doesn't work, deal with it then.

Edited by OzWhitey
  • Like 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I did the same thing as oz mentions going from v5 to v5 hotfix 1. All was perfectly fine. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

31 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

I don't think there's a difference, and I note that others earlier in the thread seemed to be stressed about this process.

Here's my recommendation (though do whatever LM says on release):

1. Uninstall P3D v5. Do not delete any remaining files. If you are asked if you want to deactivate the program, say no.

2. Install the new P3D v5 HF2 program.

3. There is no step 3. You are already finished.

Seriously, this is really easy, there should be no need to overcomplicate things and it should take 15 minutes.

The small print:

a. If you have an addon that alters the core files - which is not meant to happen - you will need to reinstall that. I have a lot of addons, but very little that falls into that category. Maybe Active Sky needs simconnect reinstalled? (I believe I've needed to do that in the past). But there should be very little need to do anything else. If something doesn't work, deal with it then.

Active sky has its own ASConnect and doesn’t use SimConnect anymore I don’t think. 

The only add ons that should need reinstalling are texture and shader ones like Envtex, Envshade, Orbx Global stuff etc (only if not installed via the library method)

Clear shaders cache and delete P3D.cfg and should be good to go

8 hours ago, gb09f said:

Thanks. 

Yes. To V5 using more cores. While not as multithreaded as some production programs, it certainly will use extra cores...a lot more than 4.5 or the other sims.

HT is on an individual basis. I run an R5 3600 with SMT (hyper threading) on.....seems the Intel guys go back and forth for some it works others it doesn’t.

Edited by CaptainNick

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

10 hours ago, Micko said:

Have a look here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/575988-good-framerates-major-stutters-pauses/ 

It's a very long one but worth to read. Hyperthreading comes later, I followed SteveW's advise on that - temperatures lowered and smoothest sim ever.

Good luck

Mick

Can you save us the time of reading through ten pages and tell us what his advice was, please? I haven’t messed with HT at all and I’d like to know. 

Thanks!

There is no singular piece of advice that will fix anyone's particular problem.

Too many variables.

You need to read the post, and do the work.

Those of us successfully using HT, with Steve's guidance, have.

Cheers,

Mark

30 minutes ago, newtie said:

There is no singular piece of advice that will fix anyone's particular problem.

Too many variables.

You need to read the post, and do the work.

Those of us successfully using HT, with Steve's guidance, have.

Cheers,

Mark

This. Especially the first 3 points, should be pinned to the top of the forum!!

22 hours ago, gb09f said:

So true. As a MSFS Alpha tester, all I will say is save your cash for later this year... 

That to me is the problem on Avsim now you can criticize any sim you like as long as it`s not one that not released yet you will get flamed, how times have changed on Avsim  FSW another MS linked product got slated as soon as it was announced before anyone had seen it that was OK.

• Like 3

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

7 hours ago, mtr75 said:

Can you save us the time of reading through ten pages and tell us what his advice was, please? I haven’t messed with HT at all and I’d like to know. 

Thanks!

I'm afraid I couldn't explain it the way Steve did. Just go through the pages and look for Steve's posts.

Mick

PC: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite, AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 TI, DDR5 G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 2X32 GB, Corsair HX 1000, Fractal Torrent, Samsung LC32 / G7 1440P.

We're getting off topic, but my advice is to move away from the idea that you need to tweak everything. This isn't FSX, LM built their sim engine for modern, multithreaded hardware.

If you have hyperthreading, leave it on. Turning off hyperthreading only makes sense if you're pushing for an extreme overclock. A stable, moderate overclock is what you want here.

TL;DR  Keep it simple. The only "tweak" that reliably improves performance is new hardware!

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

1 hour ago, G-RFRY said:

That to me is the problem on Avsim now you can criticize any sim you like as long as it`s not one that not released yet you will get flamed, how times have changed on Avsim  FSW another MS linked product got slated as soon as it was announced before anyone had seen it that was OK.

Ray, If someone had come to this forum in 2012 and told us to ditch FSX/Prepar3d for Flight, they should have received the same reaction.

I'm super excited for MSFS, but it is never helpful to go into a forum for enthusiasts of a certain product and tell them their product is rubbish!

It's also a thread about the v5 HF2, so the comment was out of place (and has, of course, been retracted by the poster).

I've nothing against a vigorous debate about the merits of Prepar3d v5 vs MSFS, but it needs its own thread. Personally, I'm a fan of trying out all the sims, and using each for what it does best.

• Like 3

Oz