Sign in to follow this  
Guest Paul Heaney

Check this out... why do Pirates even bother???

Guest JSPuonti

Please seize and desist from suggesting what I "really" wanted to say. I meant what I wrote and nothing more, there was no "but".Thank you for your co-operation.EDIT:Let me re-phrase that before some smart-aleck comes along and points out that the word "but" did infact appear in my post:"There was no 'but' in my post in the form you implied."There, much better :)

>How the government can allow these sites to operate is truly>beyond me.Are you talking about the same government that is burned at the stake whenever they try to regulate the internet? :-newburn Cheers!Paul

Guest Rockcliffe

It's pretty galling that they would include a link for "donations"

I really like how you think your dictates on how a developer should go about his business as a means of stopping thieves! That's hog wash..[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

"Comparing copyright infringement to terror is nothing but ridiculous. Actually it is a disgusting thing to do as it gives the impression that what the terrorist are doing is nothing worse than copying a few music numbers."I am not comparing it to terror--I am comparing the behavior of linking an agenda to something that is wrong since it presents a venue for attention. Second, I work in the software industry. Pirates are stealing from me just as much as the thief who points a gun at my head and says "give me your money". No, not just from me. They are stealing from my wife, my daughter, and everyone I am in charge of caring for. It's not "copying a few music numbers". It's cyber thievery, and some companies have gone bankrupt and some families left on the street because of it.-John

Guest lmoelleb

>"Comparing copyright infringement to terror is nothing but>ridiculous. Actually it is a disgusting thing to do as it>gives the impression that what the terrorist are doing is>nothing worse than copying a few music numbers.">>I am not comparing it to terror--I am comparing the behavior>of linking an agenda to something that is wrong since it>presents a venue for attention. Yes, it is discusting when people make that kind of links to something wrong because it presents a venue for attention. We completely agree. But are you aware you just wrote "piracy, 9/11, crime, etc" which to me present a rather obvious attempt to link your agenda to terror. It might not be intended, but the fact is that this is how it looks to me. I can't say if I am the only one seeing it this way, but I somehow doubt it>>Second, I work in the software industry. Pirates are stealing>from me just as much as the thief who points a gun at my head>and says "give me your money". No, not just from me. They>are stealing from my wife, my daughter, and everyone I am in>charge of caring for. It's not "copying a few music numbers".> It's cyber thievery, and some companies have gone bankrupt>and some families left on the street because of it.Copyright infringement is bad. I have never said anything else so trying to make your point by telling me is bad is kind of ridiculous - of course it is. But it is not theft - it is copyright infringement. Please read the appropriate laws if you have any problems understanding the difference. Again, I am not saying it is "better or worse" than theft so no point arguing it - I probably won't disagree (guess what, I'm a software developer) - it's simply another crime, just the same way as murder is not theft (and by the way, your example with a gun, would that not be rubbery?)

I think you stated your point well and I did not mean to offend in my comments. But in a broader sense what it comes down to is all of these things are crimes, and sometimes we can't imagine one having the degree of impact that it can. People can't fathom cyber crime hurting anyone. It does. It ruins lives. It also destroys potential lives in terms of the intelligent kids and young adults who are duped into wasting their talents. -John

Guest Paul Heaney

Bryan, I really thought you were smarter than this. If anyone didn't know about the Pirate Bay, then they do so now, thanks to your post. It never seises to amaze me, how people make these posts complaining, giving would be downloaders access to where to find the software you are trying to protect.

Guest JSPuonti

> I really like how you think your dictates on how a developer> should go about his business as a means of stopping thieves!> That's hog wash..Then you'll be glad to hear that I said no such thing, Mr. Smith. Honestly.. I shouldn't need to repeat myself when my first post was so clear, but here goes:> It's the developers' responsibility to do business in ways > which PROMOTE LEGAL DISTRIBUTION OF THEIR PRODUCTS, instead > of going out of their way to make things hard for those who > pay them.Where does it say that the developers should STOP THIEVES by being nice? My whole POST was about how the developers should be doing their best to make legal purchase of their products more appealing (and many do).You're likely never going to win over the people who are pre-disposed towards piracy, or as "jwenting" so eloquently put it, think it's "1337 k3w1". They do it for reasons other than their personal opinion of the developer. However, people who for some reason have formed a negative opinion of the developer and therefore illegally copy their products CAN be brought back to line (or more importantly, prevented from resorting to piracy in the first place) by doing the things I listed. As Bryan from FS2Crew wrote in his latest post, people either buy software or they don't; it's as simple as that. By making the legal option more appealing you reach that portion of the populace who are willing to depart with their money in the first place. The other type couldn't care less either way.I hope this helps you and others see my point, which is very much pro-legal.

"I hope this helps you and others see my point, which is very much pro-legal."I still believe developer practices (and Lord knows they could support improvement) need to be kept out of a thread discussing a site that promotes hacking and piracy. If you look at one of the developers the site seems to be going after, Flight1, they are the epitome of what a developer can be to its customers. I got called on the carpet for making this comparison yesterday, but I still believe it's valid--career thieves won't be any less prone to stealing if Walmart makes it easier or cheaper to buy products there. Simply put, there are still punks out there who make sport of stealing. Just as the site pointed to in this thread seems full of cyber punks who make sport out of stealing.It can be argued that the "closet pirate" (they are in are midst) who grabs a product because the opportunity presents itself may be motivated to pay for it if developers make it easier to do so. The cyberpunk? They don't give a hoot. You could virtually give product away and they'll still rationalize a way to steal it or "infringe copyright" for those who insist I mince words.Do you support piracy? Heck NO! I can't speak for Jeroen, but I often think he means to state that the theme of a post supports it even if it

I've often thought that the best way to fix this problem is to track down the people who do this and physically beat them to a bloody pulp.That of course is "criminal" and not civilized so it doesnt happen...and probably not very practical. But it IS hard to type with a broken arm.Fun to think about in any case.

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest Paul Heaney

Haha Bryan, I hope that wasn't a red flag to a bull.When's the LevelD 767 Version coming out, that's the one I'm looking for :)