Sign in to follow this  
lewblok

Use only FSX scenery

I have a large number of Megascenery Earth scenery add-ons and it is awesome when flying across multiple states.  When I start a flight, it takes a lot of time for the scenery files to download.  I am wanting to use FS Instant Approach to practice ILS approaches at KAMA.  When I complete an approach and want to repeat, it has to go through the scenery download again before I can repeat the approach.  My question here is how can I turn off the large scenery download and just use the FSX scenery as it is faster and besides the scenery is not important when doing ILS flights.  Will I have to uncheck all of the scenery add-ons in the scenery library.  Thanks for any help you can send me.

Lewblok

• Like 2

Yes, you do have to turn them off I believe.

This product should help:

http://fs-sceditor.sourceforge.net/

Comprehensive instructions are linked to on the site. 

It works well IMHO. 😎 I have groups set up by country or continent if landclass etc. You can easily set the priorities of scenery too.

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I sure do appreciate the reply.  I will check out that website.  Thanks!

Lewblok

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lewblok said:

When I start a flight, it takes a lot of time for the scenery files to download.  I am wanting to use FS Instant Approach to practice ILS approaches at KAMA.  When I complete an approach and want to repeat, it has to go through the scenery download again before I can repeat the approach. 

Why not do touch-and-go's?  Or takeoff and circle for the next approach....  I do not use FS Instant Approach.  Does it totally reload the flight from scratch?  Does it provide no option?  

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Frank, the beauty part of the FS Instant Approach program is once you land you can immediately return to the beginning point of the approach and just keep doing it over and over.  It eliminates the time it takes after the touch and go to fly to the approach point. again.  I have quite an extensive  scenery library and it takes a lot of time to reload the scenery between the approaches.  Scenery is not real important when shooting approaches, so I unchecked all of the add-on scenery and when I disconnect and connect to start another approach it takes just a few seconds and I am set up for the approach again.  Great program for practice.  I have set up the weather to break out of overcast at minimums to get great practice flying IFR approaches.  It has a connect/disconnect button that reloads scenery at beginning of approach.  My step of unchecking all the add-on scenery solved that problem.  

Lewblok

• Like 1

Not sure I fully understand your question, but I have a couple of state Megasceneries installed as addon sceneries. and they show up in the list of sceneries that appears under World - Scenery Library when FSX is running. These megasceneries can be turned on and off just like any other sceneries; no special program needed.  I will mention that I seldom use them any more -- the GEX scenery textures are just nicer to look at when I am flying, compared to the flat photoreal textures in the Megasceneries.