Sign in to follow this  
Midnight Music

Dump my old 4K monitor for new fast ips 2560X1440 monitor?

My current Acer Predator 4K 3840X2160 60 hz monitor has served me well, but I'm afraid after almost 3 years it's slowly giving up the ghost. I want to replace it and I keep reading and seeing videos about the new 2560X1440 fast IPS 165 gz monitors. They seem impressive, but would I feel demoted going to a lesser resolution? I have a feeling not, but I can't really tell. It's not like you can walk into a store these days and look at them side by side. Anyway, I run P3D V5 at 2048X2048 and it looks great to me. Any thoughts?

Lee

Edited by Midnight Music

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

What do you mean by "giving up the ghost"? It's only 3 years old and should have years of life left in it.

Flight sims don't need 165Hz monitors. I run my BenQ at 30Hz and performance is superb. I think you'll regret lowering the resolution. Do you really want less sharp cockpits? Think carefully. You could well regret that decision.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

What do you mean by "giving up the ghost"? It's only 3 years old and should have years of life left in it.

Flight sims don't need 165Hz monitors. I run my BenQ at 30Hz and performance is superb. I think you'll regret lowering the resolution. Do you really want less sharp cockpits? Think carefully. You could well regret that decision.

Thanks Ray, you're probably right, I'll stay with 4K. My current monitor of 3 years has suffered some sort of "burn through", but only in P3D. It started in version 4.5 and continues now in 5. When I load P3D I see a vague ghostly 2nd image, mostly on outside views. I cant screen capture it, because it doesn't show up in the V capture, but it's there visible in the monitor, almost like it is an outside layer and not in the program itself. I thought it might be Chaseplane or trueglass or some sort of strange reflections in the program, but no amount of uninstallation or re installation or putting the program into vanilla settings makes it go away. I just wonder if the monitor has suffered some kind of "glitch".

Lee

Lee H

Hi Lee. If the image anomalies are only visible in P3D it's unlikely to be screen burn. Best way to test that is to use a plain light grey image as your background picture and see what that looks like.

I've used ChasePlane for years without any issues. It tends to be bright images that cause burn-in like Sky TV News banners and the like.

Get that grey image and test that. This site may help.

https://www.publicdomainpictures.net/en/view-image.php?image=199969&picture=plain-gray-background

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

21 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hi Lee. If the image anomalies are only visible in P3D it's unlikely to be screen burn. Best way to test that is to use a plain light grey image as your background picture and see what that looks like.

I've used ChasePlane for years without any issues. It tends to be bright images that cause burn-in like Sky TV News banners and the like.

Get that grey image and test that. This site may help.

https://www.publicdomainpictures.net/en/view-image.php?image=199969&picture=plain-gray-background

I just discovered that Windows 10 Pro offers it's own grey background as a choice. I loaded it and, yes, you are right, I do see a vague burn in of whatever bright image was on the screen before. In this case some logo on the internet. How do I fix that? Is it a setting I need to change?

Lee

Lee H

4 minutes ago, Midnight Music said:

I just discovered that Windows 10 Pro offers it's own grey background as a choice. I loaded it and, yes, you are right, I do see a vague burn in of whatever bright image was on the screen before. In this case some logo on the internet. How do I fix that? Is it a setting I need to change?

Lee

Screen burn or image retention. Hard to say which one. Did you buy the monitor from new? If so then have you used it for other purposes other than P3D? Do you recognise that image?

Maybe someone else in the house has left the same view for hours. But that would be strange and shouldn't cause this. It would have to be on for hours for that to happen.

It's not easy to fix but you could try some tips here. https://www.lifewire.com/fix-screen-burn-in-4178041

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

55 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Screen burn or image retention. Hard to say which one. Did you buy the monitor from new? If so then have you used it for other purposes other than P3D? Do you recognise that image?

Maybe someone else in the house has left the same view for hours. But that would be strange and shouldn't cause this. It would have to be on for hours for that to happen.

It's not easy to fix but you could try some tips here. https://www.lifewire.com/fix-screen-burn-in-4178041

So far no change. I've tried various suggested fixes. The monitor was new when purchased. I am the only user and I shut it down at night. I do see that the P3D logo gets burned in when first starting P3D. Are their settings too bright? I'll play with the monitor settings and see what happens. Thanks for all your advice and thoughts. I will keep searching for an answer.

Lee

Lee H

Lee, that's a pity but also mystifying if you bought it from new but has developed image retention. You might find this site useful for calibrating your display. It's the best one I've found. Just one tip. If your monitor has image options make sure it's not in Dynamic mode. That will make everything too bright and intense. Just Cinema mode or equivalent is fine.

https://www.lifewire.com/fix-screen-burn-in-4178041

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

36 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Lee, that's a pity but also mystifying if you bought it from new but has developed image retention. You might find this site useful for calibrating your display. It's the best one I've found. Just one tip. If your monitor has image options make sure it's not in Dynamic mode. That will make everything too bright and intense. Just Cinema mode or equivalent is fine.

https://www.lifewire.com/fix-screen-burn-in-4178041

The Acer Predator XB271HK monitor I use has a standard mode in their settings, which is what they recommend and what I use. It's actually an excellent monitor and normally works extremely well. The burn in during P3D is more prevalent on models using Trueglass. Very little burn in shows on the default LM models. Could that have any effect? A2A and Leonardo say there is a fix coming for Trueglass, which will be applied after HF2 is released by LM. Still, what baffles me, if I'm in the air and the ghostly images show up, if I do a screen capture, the weird images do not show up on the captured image. That tells me it's not in P3D but is somewhere in the monitor image processing. Bizarre. I have never seen anything like this in my many years of simming.

Lee H

Lee, I’ve never heard of TrueGlass but having researched it it appears to be a weather enhancement for P3D. Can you turn it off for a few datsand see if it makes any difference. How long has this retention been visible?

But I’m also a little confused because you said this retention is visible on a grey background which suggests the problem should be visible whatever the aircraft used.

The reason you won’t see the retention on a screenshot is because the pixels are captured, not the physical screen. You would need to take a photo to show it. Perhaps you can upload a couple so we can see the problem.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray, hope you doing well, i would like to invest in a BEN monitor for quite a while but i am a bit afraid that my very average system won't be enough to support it... as of now, i am running 3 basic monitors , a main ASUS VE278 60 cm horizontal size , a second monitor  38 cm and a LG tv 160 cm as third monitor... my system is as follow:

I7-3770K...mobo ASUS P8H77-M, 2x 8 GB  DDR3  SDRAM corsair, NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX-TI, ....

as well , they are so many BENQ monitor out there , not easy to make that good choice.

best regards,

Henry

@henry, you should post a separate topic rather than join this one. You need to post details of your graphics card too. 

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

my apologies Ray , i will do that..  thx

henry

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Lee, I’ve never heard of TrueGlass but having researched it it appears to be a weather enhancement for P3D. Can you turn it off for a few datsand see if it makes any difference. How long has this retention been visible?

But I’m also a little confused because you said this retention is visible on a grey background which suggests the problem should be visible whatever the aircraft used.

The reason you won’t see the retention on a screenshot is because the pixels are captured, not the physical screen. You would need to take a photo to show it. Perhaps you can upload a couple so we can see the problem.

Let me see if I can put together a few images over the next couple of days. I'll open a new topic at the time.

Lee

Lee H

7 minutes ago, Midnight Music said:

Let me see if I can put together a few images over the next couple of days. I'll open a new topic at the time.

Lee

That would help but you don’t need a new topic.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather