Sign in to follow this  
Midnight Music

Dump my old 4K monitor for new fast ips 2560X1440 monitor?

11 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That would help but you don’t need a new topic.

Here are captures of what I am talking about. The first one is taken with my iPhone. It shows what you see on the screen from my perspective. However the 2nd image is a V key capture, and as you can see the anomaly doesn't show up. It's not in the pixels, as  you said. I see it as the monitor now has a flaw in it, probably some form of burn in. It tends to minimize as you get closer to the ground. I tried a few sites that have burn in fixes, but nothing really worked. I will shop for a new monitor. I am also curious about the brightness difference. The shots are just seconds apart.

FMx9X1I.jpg

eKLkI65.jpg

Edited by Midnight Music

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Lee, the burn-in is clearly visible in the first shot. Probably a virtual cockpit. The second is a screenshot and won't show it. The difference in brightness is probably down to the auto exposure on the camera. Even if you fly only that one aircraft I would never expect burn-in to occur.

Why don't you find an Acer forum and post the problem there quoting the model number and date of purchase. If others have the same problem it could point to a manufacture issue. In all the years I've had LED monitors - and I had a Dell for 10 years - I've never seen burn-in. And I can't recall it being reported here at AvSim.

A letter to Acer wouldn't go amiss either especially when you've set the monitor to their recommended settings. That is a very unusual problem.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I took your advice and spent sometime on the Acer forum. There are others complaining about similar problems with this monitor, but no answers. The comments stretch back two years. Acer apparently mentioned a firmware update two years ago, but nothing has surfaced, much to the frustration of many of the posters. One poster recommends a factory reset. I will try that and see what it does. If nothing works I will replace this monitor with a new one and move this monitor over to another PC being used for basic work and not for graphics or gaming.

I might go look at some Dell monitors.

Lee H

25 minutes ago, Midnight Music said:

I took your advice and spent sometime on the Acer forum. There are others complaining about similar problems with this monitor, but no answers. The comments stretch back two years. Acer apparently mentioned a firmware update two years ago, but nothing has surfaced, much to the frustration of many of the posters. One poster recommends a factory reset. I will try that and see what it does. If nothing works I will replace this monitor with a new one and move this monitor over to another PC being used for basic work and not for graphics or gaming.

I might go look at some Dell monitors.

Interesting. That points to a manufacturing problem. If you feel aggrieved enough write to the head office with purchase date and model number. Reference the forum where others have reported the same problem but no response from Acer. That should strengthen your case for a partial refund.

If the factory reset works then fine but I doubt it will. Don't let Acer off the hook so quickly. You could say you've lost confidence in their products and won't buy again. See how they react to that.

BenQ make very good monitors. The PD3200U is a belter. Good luck!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 6/23/2020 at 7:27 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Interesting. That points to a manufacturing problem. If you feel aggrieved enough write to the head office with purchase date and model number. Reference the forum where others have reported the same problem but no response from Acer. That should strengthen your case for a partial refund.

If the factory reset works then fine but I doubt it will. Don't let Acer off the hook so quickly. You could say you've lost confidence in their products and won't buy again. See how they react to that.

BenQ make very good monitors. The PD3200U is a belter. Good luck!

Ray, I finally went with the Alienware AW3420DW 34 inch monitor. A bit pricier than I was planning, but it turned out my business had a credit available with Dell.  It's awesome. It's not 4K, but 3440X1440, but it looks just as great. It actually works a bit better than my 4K because it puts a little less demand on the CPU and thus I am finding it smoother than my previous monitor, using the same P3D V5 settings I use.. It's visually excellent and very rich in colors. It's a slightly faster refresh rate which helps a lot as well. What blows me away is the enormously improved field of vision I get. I can see so much more of the panel and elsewhere. I was missing out on a lot.

FFK7JZl.jpg

T6zpiaQ.jpg

Lee

Lee H

Hi Lee,

Glad you like it. Alienware is a good product. When things have settled down try 30Hz. You might be surprised how much smoother the sim is. Whilst I can get 60fps when airborne there's no way my system can deliver that at addon airports. The result is Core 0 works flatout trying to achieve it and the result is stutters.

But halfing the workload of the GPU to 30 means Core 0 is rarely running at 100% resulting in a smoother sim. Have fun with it and I hope there are no more burn-in issues.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'm with you Ray.  For years I've been locked at 30hz.  With V5 I decided to lock at 60hz last night.  While it is really nice panning smoothly in chaseplane at 60hz, without question taxiing is much smoother and crisp locked at 30hz

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next