Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

Austin Interview on Threshold

18 minutes ago, Murmur said:

Some alpha testers suggested that at Asobo have been very reactive in improving and adding features. So if this is true, and if this continues, will the two products be even remotely comparable a few years from now?

This could be a good or bad thing depending on how well your personal feature requests align with the general user base.

You only need to go as far as reddit to get an idea what the new crowd whose interests MSFS has captured thinks is important.

On 6/22/2020 at 4:01 PM, ronh99 said:

Ortho - He's not a fan.  XP will rely on autogen and artists for scenery, for now.  Next gen scenery will be "better", He's hiring for scenery. Vulcan/Metal has taken all the dev time for the last few years.Weather to be updated

so just got to this, 37 minutes in. anyone just going to listen to a little of it should probably start there.

Also

Big up to the Witcher 3 crowd.... NOW I know why he isnt even a little worried. 😄

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

IMO, XP11 is more interesting than P3D v5. FS2020 will trump both when it's released. Good luck to LR & LM. They are going to need it.

• Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

We know some work is already going on when it comes to visual and weather.

Ben Supnik had a similar interview not a whiĺe ago, talking about voxel clouds, atmosphere, lightning, and of course weather.

He was also asked about MSFS2020, his response was that it looks good, however lots of the graphical tech is nothing really "special" when it comes to current games, and no reason for x-plane to not look this way Vulkan's era.

And now we know "eastern european" guys are working on scenery autogen, textures etc..

Scenery wise, I really hope to see tessellation, and maybe an official file for mesh patches.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DJJose said:

FS2020 will trump both when it's released.

I can assure you it won't,  based on my personal experience of all three.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Fizzelle said:

Interesting, as you ain't the first person to say that. I suspect we are heading in to a right dilemma.

1 hour ago, mtaxp said:

And now we know "eastern european" guys are working on scenery autogen, textures etc..

In case you missed the connection

A pretty close knit developer community. They will very likely be, or at least be in some way connected to

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_Projekt#CD_Projekt_Red

of

fame.

At the very least that is the quality of art assets you should expect from them, and freelancers in our little region.

Edited by mSparks
  • Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

46 minutes ago, Fizzelle said:

Says the alpha tester. Got it!

8 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Interesting, as you ain't the first person to say that. I suspect we are heading in to a right dilemma.

Don't pay any attention to alpha testers, especially one with 14 posts. Let's wait for the sim to be released.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Not needed in Europe? I travel Europe extensively, and always pay with credit card. The only country I’ve ever had difficulty in is Germany. Everyone else uses them. Especially here in the U.K, they’re a big thing. And we’re in Europe.

My debit card features Maestro* functionality and accomodation can now be booked via Apps and PayPal. So really, no need for a credit card at all. Proven last year while interrailing.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maestro_(debit_aard)

8 hours ago, tonywob said:

Of course, and if I was just a user, I'd not care and move on.... but I make a living from making addons for X-Plane so of course I'm concerned about their lack of concern and stubbornness to listen to their users.

If you fear that X-Plane loses the majority of its users to FS20, you should be prepared to at least try to make a payware add-on for it, much like some MSFS-exclusive developers at least tried to break into the X-Plane market.

8 hours ago, Janov said:

Asobo has the benefit of hindsight, a clear vision of the final product and no legacy code (aircraft, scenery, plugins) to support. They code focused on the final product. 

I'm pretty sure that (limited) compatibility with legacy products was part of the initial FS20 pitch. I think the flight dynamics video even outright states that it has a legacy mode for ported aircraft.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

28 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Don't pay any attention to alpha testers, especially one with 14 posts. Let's wait for the sim to be released.

I ain't rising to the clickbait. Suffice to say, if you were an aeroplane, you'd crash and burn. Crash and burn, buddy!

2 minutes ago, Fizzelle said:

I ain't rising to the clickbait. Suffice to say, if you were an aeroplane, you'd crash and burn. Crash and burn, buddy!

Don't take it so personally. I was referring to what you said not you.

Wishing that I crash and burn ain't right, but if I say that your idea is going to crash and burn, that's more accurate.

All in fun.

Look I love xplane as much as the next guy but if you need to hire artist to handcraft scenery, you already lost the game. MS has build an AI that build based on satellite imagery. That is brilliant. They can update their scenery in real time based on on map data. They have build an infrastructure that allows them to always be relevant. If xplane doesn't do something similar, they will lose overtime. I've been in the sim community since 2015. I am in the alpha. You all have seen the official release. If you think this is only carefully chosen footage and the rest of the sim looks like word not allowed, you are mistaken. This is exactly what the sim looks like. Obviously I can't take about it more since the NDA prevents me from doing so. 

That being said, X-plane does offer lots of freeware, MacOS and Linux version. This is all they've got to compete with FS 2020. That's the only ace in the hole. As  FS2020 evolve and have 3rd party airplanes made available, The market for X-plane is going to shrink.

• Like 2

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

1 minute ago, fogboundturtle said:

MS has build an AI that build based on satellite imagery.

Yeah, So please show me a close up shot of one that doesn't have one or more of the enjoyment killing problems he described in the interview as reasons he thought it was a terrible idea.....

AutoATC Developer

Just now, mSparks said:

Yeah, So please show me a close up shot of one that doesn't have one or more of the enjoyment killing problems he described in the interview as reasons he thought it was a terrible idea.....

I can't. NDA and all but I did some really really low flying in London.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.