Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

Austin Interview on Threshold

6 minutes ago, mSparks said:

I am not a parrot, but i'll do an exception for you since you didn't answer to anything at all. 

I am missing the point. I know there are products for mobile devices. What does it have to do with our simulators, which do not run on mobile devices except for dumbed down versions (like the current mobile offering for XP, Infinite Flight and the others?)

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

9 minutes ago, Pastaiolo said:

I am not a parrot, but i'll do an exception for you since you didn't answer to anything at all. 

Xplane mobile is ~ identical code to xplane desktop (actually more features since they rolled out MMO there first).

windows is 60% of the ~300,000 xplane desktop installs

1,000,000+ google variant linux installs

and 180,000 windows installs

is not 0.9% Linux 60% windows.

Your stats are wrong.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

1 minute ago, Kopteeni said:

Anything lower than 50fps is an xplane bug - their high quality settings have been bugged for ~2 years. Plus, 20fps in Linux means they were probably running everything in powersave mode @1Ghz.

AutoATC Developer

Just now, mSparks said:

Anything lower than 50fps is an xplane bug - their high quality settings have been bugged for ~2 years. Plus, 20fps in Linux means they were probably running everything in powersave mode @1Ghz.

Yeah that must be it. The power saver mode.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

That's what i said LR will not help you if you have problems with Open source drivers.

Yes, and I've said that this is subject to change once (/if) Laminar gets an internal means up to test XP with alternative drivers for AMD. The reason why they do not support open source drivers is that apparently nobody in the team uses them (yet). So no way to replicate --> no way to support.

I'd have no problem with doing some debugging for Laminar on my AMD machine and a shorter line of communication to Sid and Ben.

2 hours ago, Kopteeni said:

That's a terrible thing to say. Luckily most of the XPlane community are happy that the product is developed for multiple platforms so as many people as possible can enjoy it.

No, it's not. Of course anybody may use and enjoy X-Plane, but constantly yapping about how the other pasture is going to be the best pasture ever and the current one will be unattractive unless the grass grows faster and greener is highly annoying.

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

If there is a bug in the open source mesa drivers, there is nothing Laminar can do in any way shape or form to fix it. So file the bug with Mesa. If Mesa find it is actually a bug with xplane, they should file it with Laminar with a detailed break down of which spec is being violated.

This works both ways. As Mesa is open source, Laminar, if curious enough, may also trace a bug back to the driver source code and post a bug report on Mesa's Github.

51 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

i am curious to know what is the performance difference between XP Windows Vulkan against XP Linux  Vulkan (mostly with the AMD GPU but even a Nvidia comparision would suffice)

Rough figures for the most complex benchmark at 1440p on a 5700XT:

OpenGL: 30 FPS Windows, 50 FPS (Mesa) Linux

Vulkan: 50 FPS Windows, 53 FPS (AMDVLK, AMDGPU Pro) / 60 FPS (Mesa) Linux

Complete results with context:
https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/213778-benchmarking-xp11-on-linux-and-the-results/&do=findComment&comment=1928491

13 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Nope, your stats are wrong.

No, they're not as the figure applies to Steam users:

https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Steam-Linux-May-2020

Kind of proud to be part of the 1%.

• Upvote 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

18 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Xplane mobile is ~ identical code to xplane desktop (actually more features since they rolled out MMO there first).

windows is 60% of the ~300,000 xplane desktop installs

1,000,000+ google variant linux installs

and 180,000 windows installs

is not 0.9% Linux 60% windows.

Your stats are wrong.

You need to read better.
MY stats are videogames related, not just Xp related. I never claimed they were.
Now that hopefully you understood that, go read it back.
Xplane mobile might have an identical code, but the hardware limitations are there and that is why graphic wise the mobile version is a dumbed down version of XP for desktops.
That being said, i still don't see why we are even talking about mobile apps at this point and you didn't seem to give an answer to that either

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

5 minutes ago, Pastaiolo said:

You need to read better.
MY stats are videogames related, not just Xp related. I never claimed they were.
Now that hopefully you understood that, go read it back.
Xplane mobile might have an identical code, but the hardware limitations are there and that is why graphic wise the mobile version is a dumbed down version of XP for desktops.
That being said, i still don't see why we are even talking about mobile apps at this point and you didn't seem to give an answer to that either

again, 2.5 billion users on android, and

people play video games on their devices not sure what "other" stats you are looking for. PS4 is FreeBSD (another posix OS), XBOX is nowhere.

Year 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024
TOTAL 100.0% 100.0% 100.0% 100.0% 100.0% 100.0%

100.0%

Android 85.1% 86.1% 85.4% 86.0% 86.2% 86.3% 86.4%
iOS 14.9% 13.9% 14.6% 14.0% 13.8% 13.7% 13.6%
Others 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0%
Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

4 minutes ago, mSparks said:

again, 2.5 billion users on android, and

people play video games on their devices not sure what "other" stats you are looking for. PS4 is FreeBSD (another posix OS), XBOX is nowhere.

Year 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024
TOTAL 100.0% 100.0% 100.0% 100.0% 100.0% 100.0%

100.0%

Android 85.1% 86.1% 85.4% 86.0% 86.2% 86.3% 86.4%
iOS 14.9% 13.9% 14.6% 14.0% 13.8% 13.7% 13.6%
Others 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0%

Listen, if you can't answer a question, don't post. It's three times now i am asking the same question.

Why are we talking about mobile videogames? What does it have to do with our desktop users? My statistics are related to what the biggest gaming related survey shows, and it shows that most desktop PCs are running on Windows by far. Mobile devices don't have the same power as desktop pcs and shoudn't have anything to do with what we are talking about in this topic

What is YOUR point in relation to XP?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pastaiolo said:

What is YOUR point in relation to XP?

I'd hazard a guess that @mSparks simply wants to point out that keeping X-Plane's ecosystem multiplatform offers better revenue streams than focusing exclusively on Windows, which, in terms of OS architecture, is the odd one out in a sea of UNIX-based, POSIX compliant operating systems.

Edited by Bjoern
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Pastaiolo said:

Why are we talking about mobile videogames? What does it have to do with our desktop users?

Because Austin cares about the bottom line for his company, not what the vocal minority of users who can't put a usb stick in the slot of their desktop think he should do with his company.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

31 minutes ago, Bjoern said:

No, it's not. Of course anybody may use and enjoy X-Plane, but constantly yapping about how the other pasture is going to be the best pasture ever and the current one will be unattractive unless the grass grows faster and greener is highly annoying.

If there's no truth to that then you can just ignore it? Internet is not the greatest place if you get worked up about what people write there.

1 minute ago, Kopteeni said:

If there's no truth to that then you can just ignore it? Internet is not the greatest place if you get worked up about what people write there.

Get stressed by something, release stress by expressing discontent (in some way), done. Also works outside of the internet.

I agree with Austins views on photoscenery. I have never been a fan of it either and avoided going near it in FSX and X-Plane 11. I cant dispute that it looks nice from high altitude. However from down low and slow I cannot shake the sensation of a photo-blanket draped across the land  - and also the rez suffers the closer you get to it ruining the immersion. 

Far from the doom and gloom I've seen mentioned elsewhere (about XP11 vanishing once FS20 appears) I feel it will co-exist just fine alongside the new sim on many users computers. XP11 is a fabulous sim, I love the enthusiasm of Austin and his hardworking team and will always support them.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 6