Sign in to follow this  
dresoccer4

Little Navmap: Add Custom Airports?

hello, not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but here goes!

I just started using little navmap and it's great so far. Only 1 thing I haven't figured out to do: I bought a new scenery package that contains additional airstrips and airports (with true ICAO values) that aren't in the default X-Plane database (The Seychelles Addon). How can I add these new additional airports onto the Little Navmap map?

thanks for any help!

3 hours ago, niksan29 said:

Hi!

Hide contents

log.jpg

hello - could you please show the next steps here? because I've clicked that button before and it asks for the "Flight Simulator Base Path" which isn't related to addons (which reside in the custom scenery folder)

13 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

How can I add these new additional airports onto the Little Navmap map?

Add-on airports are detected and loaded by LNM. You simply have to reload the scenery library after adding and they will show up. What @niksan29 showed. Nothing else to do.

To be sure: Start X-Plane once after adding the airports so XP can update the scenery_packs.ini file.

Edit: The base path is for the simulator only. Add-ons don't need a separate path or setting to be loaded.

Alex

Edited by albar965
  • Upvote 1

On 6/23/2020 at 12:12 PM, albar965 said:

Add-on airports are detected and loaded by LNM. You simply have to reload the scenery library after adding and they will show up. What @niksan29 showed. Nothing else to do.

To be sure: Start X-Plane once after adding the airports so XP can update the scenery_packs.ini file.

Edit: The base path is for the simulator only. Add-ons don't need a separate path or setting to be loaded.

Alex

hi, sorry for such a long delay, had silly real world issues to attend to. 

So i'm still not quite following what I'm doing wrong here. here's my example: i download the Uyuni Airport (also known as Joya Andina Airport, code SLUY) in Bolivia. I place this downloaded airport folder an external SSD, then add a shortcut to it in the \X-Plane 11\Custom Scenery folder. It is then added in the scenery_packs.ini file. In XP11, I am able to load the airport and fly to/from it.

However in LNM, there is no airport there at all so I can't create any flight plans for it. The VOR and NDB are there though. I tried to add a screenshot to show you what I mean but doesn't seem this forum will let me. 😕

No need to apologize for the delay.
I suppose you use Windows, right?
How do you create the (symbolic) link/shortcut? Is this a .lnk file?
Is it this airport pack? https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/30682-aerodrome-pack-5-south-america-bolivia-peru/

I'll have a look at it. If it shows up in X-Plane it should also show up in LNM.

Alex

50 minutes ago, albar965 said:

No need to apologize for the delay.
I suppose you use Windows, right?
How do you create the (symbolic) link/shortcut? Is this a .lnk file?
Is it this airport pack? https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/30682-aerodrome-pack-5-south-america-bolivia-peru/

I'll have a look at it. If it shows up in X-Plane it should also show up in LNM.

Alex

hi alex, thanks for getting back to me

Yes it's on Windows. I make links by simply copying the airport folder, then right-clicking and "paste shortcut" in the custom scenery folder.
The scenery I'm using comes from: https://3dmodelbrasil.com/2019/06/14/bolivia-xplane/

I see. It's not the airport.

What you create with this method is a .lnk file. I just looked into the documentation of the library (Qt) I'm using to access files and it seems that it has some big flaws using .lnk files. Programming a workaround is a lot of effort since I use file and path functionality at a lot of places in the scenery library stuff. I'm actually wondering why this is working with X-Plane.

You can use symbolic links, though. I just tried this and it does work with LNM and I expect this to work with X-Plane too.

You can use this Windows Shell extension:
https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

Or you can use Double Commander. I highly recommend this file manager anyway:
https://doublecmd.sourceforge.io/

Alex

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, albar965 said:

I see. It's not the airport.

What you create with this method is a .lnk file. I just looked into the documentation of the library (Qt) I'm using to access files and it seems that it has some big flaws using .lnk files. Programming a workaround is a lot of effort since I use file and path functionality at a lot of places in the scenery library stuff. I'm actually wondering why this is working with X-Plane.

You can use symbolic links, though. I just tried this and it does work with LNM and I expect this to work with X-Plane too.

You can use this Windows Shell extension:
https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

Or you can use Double Commander. I highly recommend this file manager anyway:
https://doublecmd.sourceforge.io/

Alex

I gotcha. I'm a professional software engineer myself (java) so I understand how difficult work arounds can be for sometimes little reward. Thanks for looking into this for me. I may try placing this scenery directly in the XP  custom scenery folder instead of using a pointer as it's not a large file so won't have much space impact. I'll try this and see if it works

Edited by dresoccer4

This is related to the thread title although slightly different.

Using LNM with MSFS and on a P3D db + navigraph.

A specific strip I was flying to is present in the sim but not in neither P3D nor in navigraph.

I could anyway see it in the base osm map.

I tried adding it as a custom point, type Airport type with its icao code and altitude, but was not able to use it as the fp destination, so the fp could not be finalized to get altitude profile and save it as .pln file.

Could this be a feature, using a "user defined" airport/strip as origin or destination?

Marco Manieri

Perugia - Italy

169055.png

Hi Marco,

how is this strip added to P3D? add-on.xml or scenery.cfg? Did you reload the scenery library after adding?

Does any of the involved paths contain special characters? I fixed a bug in LNM which cause trouble in this case.

I'd rather not implement user-defined airports. If one shows in the sim but not in LNM it is a bug. I'd rather fix this.

You can send me the add-on.xml (if there is one) and probably the BGL file which contains the airport and I can have a look at it.

Alex

Hi Alex.

It is not a problem of missing in LNM while present in the scenery.

The strip is NOT present in P3D (from which the scenery DB comes from) nor in navigraph (too small).

It is present in the new MSFS scenery.

But you are right, the feature is useless once we will be able to build the scenery DB from the new MSFS...

Marco Manieri

Perugia - Italy

169055.png

@albar965, I use LNM mostly for bush flying or small airplane local navs. My platform is Win10 and XP11 and latest 2.6.8 LNM. I also miss some airports in LMN which are in die XP global airports list. How do I manually add an airport to LMN, is it possible? If I have all the apt data, surley there must be a way to add it manually (in a text file) to LNM.

2 hours ago, pierrecor said:

@albar965, I use LNM mostly for bush flying or small airplane local navs. My platform is Win10 and XP11 and latest 2.6.8 LNM. I also miss some airports in LMN which are in die XP global airports list. How do I manually add an airport to LMN, is it possible? If I have all the apt data, surley there must be a way to add it manually (in a text file) to LNM.

The simplest solution to add something to LNM is  using userpoints.
Right click on the map, choose "Userpoints/Add Userpoint here" and voila - that's all 🙂
There are  about 20 different types including airports, airstrips, helipads, etc.
It's also possible to import/export userpoints from/to external file (for example CSV) - look at Userpoints section in upper menu.
You have to also enable displaying userpoints on the map - click on the ShowUserpoints button (button with yellow star, near ShowFlightPlan button) and choose which type of userpoints you want to see.

Of course there is also other option - create simplest scenery (airstrip + code) in WED editor and then reload scenery library in LNM.
This solution is more complicated but IMHO better  - you've got airport in LNM and XP11 and even you can export your scenery to XP11 Scenery Gateway, what means that other users would be able use this scenery and it's a chance your scenery would be included in future versions of XP11 (similar like some of my airstrips/aerodromes).

Regards,
Piotr

Never give up ...  - here are details of the whip-round: https://zrzutka.pl/en/pewr2d  -> to help my younger son fights against Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (blood cancer).