Sign in to follow this  
Dirk98

PREPAR3D V5.0 HOTFIX 2 NOW AVAILABLE

26 minutes ago, Johnny19 said:

Geez guys it’s called sarcasm. Take it easy.

Sarcasm was it. OK!

How about you take it easy!

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 minute ago, mpo910 said:

Why don´t we do us all a favour and try/test the new build a few "days" before making any statements here. Just firing up the sim and looking 5 minutes does not earn the word "TEST" and does also mislead other users.

I am sure we all will do that. However, if you had a particular issue with the sim then you might be curious to see if that issue still persists after a hotfix. Any statement is always only relative to one user's setup. 

Hans

9 minutes ago, hjsmuc said:

I do not see any changes in the amount of VRAM used so far. 

Does the sim now gracefully deal with an out of VRAM problem, or does it still DXGI/CTD when you run out?

I wouldn't have expected less VRAM usage, but I certainly hope that LM fixed the hard crash it causes.

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

3 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

Does the sim now gracefully deal with an out of VRAM problem, or does it still DXGI/CTD when you run out?

I wouldn't have expected less VRAM usage, but I certainly hope that LM fixed the hard crash it causes.

With DX12 you cannot avoid CTD due to VRAM starvation.. all DX12 video games suffer from this, google it and you will see.

What LM has done is try to manage the budget better, but if you put your settings too high and you push your current system way beyond its limitations you will starve your VRAM eventually and DXG hung will occur.

S.

Edited by simbol
  • Like 5

Getting a message to say Not enough VRAM available is OK, or stopping with Out of VRAM messages is less OK and not particularly graceful but to crash unexpectedly is a fault even if that fault is simply not having provided a message or log entry.

• Like 6

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

3 minutes ago, simbol said:

With DX12 you cannot avoid CTD due to VRAM starvation.. all DX12 video games suffer from this, google it and you will see.

Off topic from the HF2 but do you know why this was changed from DX11? It seems to me that a slowdown of the application after exhuasting VRAM, as was the case in DX11, is much preferable to the crash of DX12. I know nothing about the technicalities of this but was just wondering why this path was chosen. Why would Microsoft and/or Nvidia ( whoever's idea this was) implement this? It is not my intent to put the burden on you Simbol but you seem to know a lot about this.

Regards,

Ted 

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Strictly speaking, it would be handy for the Out of VRAM app to log the file or assembly that was loading at the time...

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

1 minute ago, simbol said:

What LM has done is try to manage the budget better, but if you put your settings too high and you push your current system way beyond its limitations you will starve your VRAM eventually and DXG hung will occur.

S.

Interesting. In my discussion with Beau, on the LM thread I started about this subject, we were specifically discussing the fact that they built in a system to offer the user the ability to adjust graphics settings before a CTD. The message that appears says "Your dedicated graphics memory has run out" and offers three choices: Abort, Ignore or Retry. The Retry option is meant to take you to the Graphics Settings menu. The problem in v5 and HF1 was that this feature did not work correctly, and typically still caused a DXGI CTD. Beau indicated in that thread that they were looking into why that wasn't working correctly.

I am really surprised that given what you've said, specifically that "you cannot avoid CTD due to VRAM starvation" that they'd even bother to write this interface, or that they'd build the capability to adjust graphics settings in this situation.

In any case, I am not looking to re-litigate VRAM issues. I just wanted to know if this capability as stated by LM was fixed or not with HF2. Are you saying that you've tried it and it still doesn't work as LM intended?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

Off topic from the HF2 but do you know why this was changed from DX11? It seems to me that a slowdown of the application after exhuasting VRAM, as was the case in DX11, is much preferable to the crash of DX12. I know nothing about the technicalities of this but was just wondering why this path was chosen. Why would Microsoft and/or Nvidia ( whoever's idea this was) implement this? It is not my intent to put the burden on you Simbol but you seem to know a lot about this.

Regards,

Ted 

Performance, which is what everyone keep asking LM so they have now delivered it. DX12 is the future as it can push the boundaries of performance as everyone wants. However it comes with a penalty, VRAM.

The history in short term:

DX11 allows you to take normal RAM and use it as VRAM, however this slows down the rendering considerably leading to "stutters". the reason is because swapping from normal RAM allocation (which sometimes is even a pagefile stored on disk) to VRAM (GPU) causes severe delays. 

So for DX12 to be able to provide the required and demanded performance, it needs to stop requesting RAM resources from your system and use only the video card RAM (VRAM). So the design paradimg of DX12 is all about self isolation on the GPU.

DX12 will continue to be improved and grant new techniques and way to render graphics beyind what we can imagine, RAY tracing is an example and what Unity V5 can do now is another.. (google it). Where as DX11 is on his way to be deprecated entirely eventually.

Regards,

Simbol

• Like 4

1 minute ago, cwburnett said:

In any case, I am not looking to re-litigate VRAM issues. I just wanted to know if this capability as stated by LM was fixed or not with HF2. Are you saying that you've tried it and it still doesn't work as LM intended?

No what I am saying is, HF2 is not going to solve your system from having low VRAM. They are avoiding CTDs implementing what you said and other techniques.. but eventually you will run out of VRAM if you are not careful with your graphic settings. Which is the point I am trying to send across.

You also need to enable "Dynamic Texsture Streaming" to allow what you describe to work better and prevent the CTD. If people have this disabled, then resources will be used more aggressively by the GPU.

S.

Hello @ll,

can any of you fly the (default) helicopters? On my computer, the flight is choppy (especially vertically), I can't go higher than 1000ft and I can't get them to land properly/at all.

Clean install, no addons.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Great news.  What folders/files do you backup if reinstalling all 3 one at a time? 

Addons folder (which btw i now have 4 off,eco system with Aerosoft etc? )

Controls xml

Scenery.cfg?

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

6 minutes ago, simbol said:

No what I am saying is, HF2 is not going to solve your system from having low VRAM. They are avoiding CTDs implementing what you said and other techniques.. but eventually you will run out of VRAM if you are not careful with your graphic settings. Which is the point I am trying to send across.

You also need to enable "Dynamic Texsture Streaming" to allow what you describe to work better and prevent the CTD. If people have this disabled, then resources will be used more aggressively by the GPU.

S.

I haven't had a CTD in over a month with V5, I just wanted to know if they fixed this problem or not...  It would be nice to fly a little closer to the sun if I know the safety net has been fixed. If it hasn't, okay...

Edited by cwburnett
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Sarcasm was it. OK!

How about you take it easy!

🤦🏻

• Upvote 1

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q