Sign in to follow this  
Strahinja

Are Missions, Challanges and Aerocaches confirmed?

A little throwback to my Topic where I mentioned that new Flight 2020 should have Voice acted Missions, Challanges and Aerocache hunt same as closed Microsoft Flight 2012 had: 

Are there any news regarding this? Microsoft Flight have around 12 Voice acted Missions, around 30 Challanges and around 300 Aerocahces hidden on the Islands of Hawaii.

Now imagine same in Flight 2020, tens of Voice acted Missions, Start up tutorials, emergency missions, Introductions to Small/Medium/Huge planes (like in Flight 2012) and then the best part, the Aerocaches.

Since Flight 2020 world will be huge, like the whole Earth, imagine thousands of Aerocaches hidden/placed on Earth that are created by both Microsoft and Community.

If Flight 2020 will be about mostly flying big planes and small planes as Free flight, then I am not interested into this game.

The concept of Flight 2012 is amazing, You do some challanges then some Free flight by searching for Aerocaches in the same time and then sweetest part is doing a fully Voice acted mission. Then you continue playing again with friends in Multiplayer while doing Jobs between Airports and again, hunting some Aerocaches together.

According to the Alpha build patch notes and the shots of the main menu in the Feature Discovery series episodes, we know for sure that tutorials, missions and challenges with leaderboards will be included. Sadly nothing about aerocaches yet.

Regarding voice-acted missions, I do hope they'll remaster the Flight Simulator X missions. Many were really well-made and they can just reuse the already recorded voices.

• Like 1

For those whose aerial charts include terrain features, Aerocaches are a great way to highlight landmarks.  Microsoft Flight used them to call attention to interesting detailed scenery.

There would obviously be a way to turn them off for those who weren't interested.

Hook

• Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

6 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

According to the Alpha build patch notes and the shots of the main menu in the Feature Discovery series episodes, we know for sure that tutorials, missions and challenges with leaderboards will be included. Sadly nothing about aerocaches yet.

Regarding voice-acted missions, I do hope they'll remaster the Flight Simulator X missions. Many were really well-made and they can just reuse the already recorded voices.

I like FSX Missions but my favorite Missions are from Flight 2012. They were all like story missions rather then kinda generic FSX Missions.

I am sure you remember the RV Mission as well as the beautiful Observatory Mission. That kind of Voice acted Missions I would like to see in Flight 2020. Also you remember the Jobs between Airports in MS Flight? When your passenger is feeling sick if you do some aggressive maneuvers while going for Burger. 😄 Idk but I like those Missions a lot, I hope Flight 2020 will offer same/similar.

Since Flight 2020 will have brutally detailed world every Continent can have it's own Mission where your passenger can be fictional journalist taking photos from plane while he/she talks to you about that Region/People/Culture, we can even learn something from Flight 2020. Now imagine mission called Amazon adventure for example where our passenger talks about Amazon, then Egypt Missions, Yellowstone Missions etc. etc.

Observatory Mission in Flight 2012 explains some interesting things about that Comet you see. That kind of concept I would like to see, if not at release then at least as DLC. Each Continent to have it's DLC with Missions, Challenges, Aerocaches and Jobs. If Hawaii and Alaska in Flight 2012 had 300 and they could fit even more but development stopped, imagine how much Aerocaches they can fit on each Continent, it could take you months and months to discover them all, and the reward for exploring them could be discounts for new DLC's, ultimate money maker compared to empty Free flight world.

Edited by Strahinja
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, LHookins said:

For those whose aerial charts include terrain features, Aerocaches are a great way to highlight landmarks.  Microsoft Flight used them to call attention to interesting detailed scenery.

There would obviously be a way to turn them off for those who weren't interested.

Hook

Are you talking about points of interests?  If so one of earlier screenshots for FS2020 included a pointer where next to it mentioned Disney World (might have said epcot center) which lead me to wonder if they are bringing the feature back.   

Edited by frankla
Misspelling

3 hours ago, Strahinja said:

I like FSX Missions but my favorite Missions are from Flight 2012. They were all like story missions rather then kinda generic FSX Missions.

I am sure you remember the RV Mission as well as the beautiful Observatory Mission. That kind of Voice acted Missions I would like to see in Flight 2020. Also you remember the Jobs between Airports in MS Flight? When your passenger is feeling sick if you do some aggressive maneuvers while going for Burger. 😄 Idk but I like those Missions a lot, I hope Flight 2020 will offer same/similar.

Since Flight 2020 will have brutally detailed world every Continent can have it's own Mission where your passenger can be fictional journalist taking photos from plane while he/she talks to you about that Region/People/Culture, we can even learn something from Flight 2020. Now imagine mission called Amazon adventure for example where our passenger talks about Amazon, then Egypt Missions, Yellowstone Missions etc. etc.

Observatory Mission in Flight 2012 explains some interesting things about that Comet you see. That kind of concept I would like to see, if not at release then at least as DLC. Each Continent to have it's DLC with Missions, Challenges, Aerocaches and Jobs. If Hawaii and Alaska in Flight 2012 had 300 and they could fit even more but development stopped, imagine how much Aerocaches they can fit on each Continent, it could take you months and months to discover them all, and the reward for exploring them could be discounts for new DLC's, ultimate money maker compared to empty Free flight world.

For clarification, there will be not any game called Flight 2020! New generation this software comes from MS FSX, not from MS Flight (2012) and probably will be called as Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Flight 2020? 

Please, NO!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

12 hours ago, Strahinja said:

Microsoft Flight had some really beautiful missions too, though overall I felt that some of the standout missions in Flight Simulator X (it's true that many were generic) were more creative and thrilling. But then Microsoft Flight didn't have the luxury of featuring the entire world and a wide variety of aircraft. I'm hoping they will attempt to push the boundaries even further this time. With the improvements to the scenery, flight dynamics and weather there is lots of potential for more exciting and challenging missions.

The jobs were also an interesting feature but didn't feel too fleshed-out. A tighter integration with a career mode (optionally of course) could give them more meaning and increase the game's lasting appeal considerably for those who are into that (there is a surprising amount of requests for a career mode among more casual users).

21 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

with leaderboards  

<sigh> That was not the best news of all

2 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

(there is a surprising amount of requests for a career mode among more casual users).

This career thing is something I never really understood. A career mode sets a beginning and an end to a game. I start as a poor Kashjiit thief and finish as the Thieves Guild Master. This is a career. Game over. Except of course if I want to take over the Mage Guild .

Starting as a Cub driver to finish a 747 Captain already does litlle sense to me but what do you do afterwards, I mean career-wise ? When you sim, there is no end. You may start with a smaller aircraft to learn the ropes of flying a simcraft then upgradingg to more complex aircraft but is this really a career ? And if it is, do we need a mode for that ?

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

29 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

<sigh> That was not the best news of all

From what I saw in the leak it looks like they won't be too obstructive (they were next to the metrics of the player's performance in the challenge), so it might be possible to safely ignore them. I don't know what the challenge menu looks like though.

30 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Starting as a Cub driver to finish a 747 Captain already does litlle sense to me but what do you do afterwards, I mean career-wise ? When you sim, there is no end. You may start with a smaller aircraft to learn the ropes of flying a simcraft then upgradingg to more complex aircraft but is this really a career ? And if it is, do we need a mode for that ?

While most people in comments sections would just ask for a career mode without further clarification, sometimes it seemed that they were suggesting the career of an airline pilot. Perhaps an extension of the job system in Microsoft Flight, where the player's performance and statistics would be tracked over several flights, might be enough to satisfy that.

• Like 1

I bought Air Hauler 2 for FSX/P3D and i've enjoyed it.  I makes the sim more interesting as you have to do things like pay for fuel (from your earnings).

Edited by Arwen

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

A career path could indeed go from a Piper to a 747 in RL.  In a Sim we may want to adjust the start and endpoints of a career starting with a TBM captain to a Boeing 747 captain endpoint..  I suppose that this progression could be captured with a long customized mission.  In any case I don't get much pleasure from game progression and would rather fly RST (real sim time).  A favorite past sim was Chuck Yeagers Air Combat but I didn't get very far in the reward system.  Regardless I enjoyed the Sim.    

If a robust mission / career mode existed in MSFS 2020 I would give it a try but I would probably like to fly point to point with good / excellent realism as I would do in RL.

Regards

bs

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

I agree that some kind of missions would be great to have.

That Air Hauler 2 looks interesting - and I think it would be good to implement something like that but in a simpler form in the base game. Sure - many just want to focus on flying and learning new planes, but I think that having some kind of career mode could get "new blood" into the genre that naturally is needed to keep MS in the sim business this time ;)

I remember the good ole "Solo Flight" on the C64 where you delivered mail in the Rockies. That was really fun back then and without the deliver mail part I do not think that I would have played it as much. 

Maybe some simple careers could be added like "Bush pilot Africa / Alaska / Australia" where you start by getting you first job on a small airport and have to deliver tourists, cargo etc to different localtions on small dirt fields. Someone is sick and you need to get the doctor there fast, poachers have been sighted and you must find the elephants with a game warden in the plane... Many possibilities. Do well and you get more interesting missions and maybe get a chance to fly the trusty DC-3 instead of the Cessna 180 you start with. Or maybe the shiny Cessna 208? I would give that a spin. And for the more hardcore add "Lufthansa / British Airways / NNN Captain" where you get different flights each day and get a career score for correctly performed flights, perfect landings etc.

The easiest way to get interesting "missions" in a civil simulator is naturally to add gliders as every start in a glider is a "mission" where the bad pilots are back on the ground after 10 minutes. Add a cross country triangle course with the new air mass simulation and we can have great multi player competitions and ladders like in Condor 2. I have spent quite some time in gliders that are really exiting to fly where a cross country fllight is 3D chess combined with flying skills to get the best time. Small GA powered planes are best used for taking friends on a spin or get so some place "in style". I met an air force pilot that only flew gliders (as a hobby) and fighter planes (for work), as the rest is just "boring" transportation...

Or just do Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 4 :)

• Like 2

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and Intel 665P SSD for games

You all do good points. Are economic games what they mean by career mode ? In that case that belongs to A DLC not the main sim. I bought and tried FSpassengers. Not a bad game in spite on some incompatibility with A2A fueling. 

Thanks @mazex for reminding us a game that I had forgotten in spite of the many, many hours of fun I had with it in my Apple 2. Solo Flight ! Those were the days. No mesh, no texture, rectangles for runway but VOR and ILS if memory serves me well. And our imagination, a powerful software tool. The game had two purposes : the mail delivery gimmick but also to bring runways where none existed in the core game. The world as we know it in our sims today had yet to be created.

About the missions, don’t you do them yourselves ? 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam