Sign in to follow this  
Kronovan

Seaplane Base Docks?

I'm a big fan of bush piloting with seaplanes and amphibs, but I'm almost always taking off and landing on a stretch of water with nothing around. I found a fan-made seaplane base addon for British Columbia Canada which adds docks to to about 40 aerodromes, but I haven't been able to find much else. So...I'm wondering if there's other fan-made collections of seaplane bases that add docks for other parts of the world - especially Alaska and Washington state.

Edited by Kronovan

Excellent page Bert - thanks for the link. It'll require quite a ca$h layout for me to use what's suggested on that site, as I only have UTX Canada and UTX USA. I was hoping to find seaplane base addons that could work with those, as UTX Can was a prerequisite for my BC seaplane base addon.

I have toyed with the idea of acquiring Orbx PNW, PF and SAK. I have Orbx Wales and England and are quite happy with them, albeit they cost a few more fps for me than the UTX terrain. I'll likely start with Orbx SAK as my UTX USA doesn't cover that region and see how a more mountainous Orbx region performs on m PC.

Also try RTMM without the PNW regions first.. It may very well provide most of what you want..

Having said that, I cannot imaging flying without Orbx PNW, since I live on Vancouver Island.

Bert

46 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Also try RTMM without the PNW regions first.. It may very well provide most of what you want..

Having said that, I cannot imaging flying without Orbx PNW, since I live on Vancouver Island.

I came to the same conclusion after reading a bit more of the info on the mistymoorings website. My experience of siming in the UK when I only owned  Orbx Wales and UTX Euro revealed to me that the seam between terrain boundaries was far less pronounced with UTX than the default FSX terrain. That leads me to believe that addon scenery  may be less out of position when used wiith UTX than what  mistymoorings states - certainly doesn't hurt to try.

The Tongass Fjords store page lists compatibility with UT terrain, so I'll probably purchase that scenery 1st. I'll need to purchase Orbx SAK too, since as I mentioned above, UTX USA does't cover Alaska.

I'm just across the water from you in the burbs of Greater Vancouver. I've heard great things about Orbx PNW. I'll have to be content for the time being  that my UTX Can fixed some terrible flaws in the GVRD terrain, added some important Vancouer landmarks and made the city center overall look closer to the real thing. I did buy FSDreamteams CYVR, which game me the CAM9 seaport docks and even more important - the Flying Beaver pub!   🙂

1 hour ago, Kronovan said:

I'm just across the water from you in the burbs of Greater Vancouver. I've heard great things about Orbx PNW. I'll have to be content for the time being  that my UTX Can fixed some terrible flaws in the GVRD terrain, added some important Vancouer landmarks and made the city center overall look closer to the real thing. I did buy FSDreamteams CYVR, which game me the CAM9 seaport docks and even more important - the Flying Beaver pub!   🙂

I am now on P3DV5, and love to fly out of Nanaimo, with the odd stop at Pitt Meadows..  The scenery around here is breathtaking, as you well know..

For me, it is Orbx PNW + Orbx local freeware by Larry Robinson, and Vancouver+ which unfortunately is not for sale anymore.. but still works..

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

...and Vancouver+ which unfortunately is not for sale anymore.. but still works..

Yes I had John Patches' Vancouver+ for 2004 and enjoyed it, but sadly I never bought the FSX edition of that scenery before he passed on.

ORBX has a demo version of their PNW scenery and also a couple of beautiful British Columbia seaplane bases that are free.  Just go to their site and explore the "Freeware" heading.  Checkout the Portland city scenery also.  

Well I bought Tongass X and went through the slow -but well worth it- process of installing all of the RTMM (Return To Misty Moorings) scenery objects and libraries. I then downloaded about 15 sceneries that are within the Tongass coverage and have been very impressed by every dock I've flown to. And taking off from a waterway in Sitka absolutely blew me away - never seen such detail and visual fidelity in anything FSX before! I was also able to install the fictitious Misty's Place airbase, which with the exception of the coastline scenery & docks displays correctly despite my not owning ORBX Pacific Fjords. I'm able to take off from the runway there, but taxing either side of it has me crashing into mysterious boundaries or objects. The one other RTMM scenery I've tried that's outside of my Tongass coverage had visual glitches.

I'm happy with my UTX coverage for the lower BC coast, but I've now been able to see where it's lacking in the north - especially Alaska which UTX USA doesn't cover. Juneau looks absolutely dreadful with the state legislature building looking like some alien object standing in a semi-wilderness park. I'm planning on buying ORBX Pacific Fjords and Southern Alaska at months end, which I've noted are the regions where most of the RTMM scenery is located. I'll probably buy ORBX Ketchikan International Airport too, as it seems to be a hub for many of the flights.

I'm wondering if any of these RTMM sites can somehow be made to work with Air Hauler 2? I've recently discovered that addon and are enjoying it. I know I was able to add Vancouver Harbor (CYHC) as a destination in it, but haven't tried adding others.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions and thanks for directing me to the RTMM site Bert - I've got plenty of docks to fly to now.  🙂

Edited by Kronovan
  • Like 1