Sign in to follow this  
mpo910

ORBX Products are having lots of issues in V5

I am really not so impressed how ORBX products perform in P3DV5 HF1 and also now after HF2.

I have several issues wich still in there and that with the "Tag" Compatible to V5. I know that ORBX is having a list with known issues. But then their products should not be tagged with this V5 compatibillity. V5 is out for weeks now.

How do others see this? What are your opinions? Are you also suffering from this issues as stated below:

• to much FPS decrease while using their airports at night due dynamic lights (they have a much more performance impact ike other devs their airports with dynlights on) LEBB, ESSA has an big impact for example
  • Airport textures are getting black the further your viewpoint goes away from these textures (roofs of lowi par example are getting black. Airport buildings completely are "fading" black like a black layer is slightly fading in on top of the normal textures)
  • Some scenery buildings and textures from LC and regional products are shown way more "present" as surrounding scenery direct next to them. Like the haze is not influencing the complete scenery but smaller parts are "left out" of this influence
  • strange texture behaviour like layer swapping at some view angles (also at lowi present) Like the top layer with sharp textures is "turned off" at some view angles seen when panning around slowly)
  • At ESSA some heavy black texture flickering at airport buildings on their roofs (like to different textures are "fighting" each other wich should be presented and wich not (quick swapping between black and normal textures)
  • ORBX Airports are showing much more stuttering behaviour regardless how good the FPS is
  • and probably my list gets longer and longer after I start thinking and searching more of it

This points are getting heavier when using VR but are also present without VR. My system is very decent and well setup. Runs very smooth generally and is performing well at other areas. But with ORBX I am having some negative experience.

What about my Coleague simmers? Why is ORBX as a Professional company taking so much time to solve things others have already solved or not even suffering from it?

Please share your experience as I am planning to post this also on ORBX and Link this thread overthere. This is not normal in my opinion. But if I am "allone" with this, their must be something wrong on my end and I want to exclude that scenario.

Regards Marcus

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 4

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

I have ALL released ORBX scenerys and so far had not ONE issue with them. Reading their forum it seems there are a few problems for some users, none that has not been solved and mostly the problems are at the user end.

Jack

• Like 1

• to much FPS decrease while using their airports at night due dynamic lights (they have a much more performance impact ike other devs their airports with dynlights on) LEBB, ESSA has an big impact for example

I haven't ever found dynamic lights to be a problem, but this may depend on GPU.

• Airport textures are getting black the further your viewpoint goes away from these textures (roofs of lowi par example are getting black. Airport buildings completely are "fading" black like a black layer is slightly fading in on top of the normal textures)

I have seen this problem in hazy conditions, I suspect that not all scenery objects are fully v5 compatible. Haven't noticed it specifically with Orbx myself.

• Some scenery buildings and textures from LC and regional products are shown way more "present" as surrounding scenery direct next to them. Like the haze is not influencing the complete scenery but smaller parts are "left out" of this influence

Yes, Ayer's Rock in Australia v2 is a good example that I remember, looks terrible!

• strange texture behaviour like layer swapping at some view angles (also at lowi present) Like the top layer with sharp textures is "turned off" at some view angles seen when panning around slowly)

v4 coped with different resolution orthoscenery layers, v5 often does not. Not Orbx specifc. Disable ortho files as needed.

• At ESSA some heavy black texture flickering at airport buildings on their roofs (like to different textures are "fighting" each other wich should be presented and wich not (quick swapping between black and normal textures)

Have done a couple of flights out of ESSA, did not specifically note this problem. I do remember ESSA standing out from my ortho background more than it did, as per one of your earlier points.

• ORBX Airports are showing much more stuttering behaviour regardless how good the FPS is

I have not noticed this as a global problem. I do turn off unnecessary features in Orbx config, though.

• his points are getting heavier when using VR but are also present without VR. My system is very decent and well setup. Runs very smooth generally and is performing well at other areas. But with ORBX I am having some negative experience.

I only fly VR, so my comments relate to your use case.

In summary, after 2 months flying with a lot of Orbx scenery, it had not occurred to me that there was any Orbx-specific problem, or that Orbx looks worse or performs more poorly than any other dev. The issues that I have seen are global problems that I'm sure LM will continue to work on.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

25 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

I haven't ever found dynamic lights to be a problem, but this may depend on GPU.

I have seen this problem in hazy conditions, I suspect that not all scenery objects are fully v5 compatible. Haven't noticed it specifically with Orbx myself.

Yes, Ayer's Rock in Australia v2 is a good example that I remember, looks terrible!

v4 coped with different resolution orthoscenery layers, v5 often does not. Not Orbx specifc. Disable ortho files as needed.

Have done a couple of flights out of ESSA, did not specifically note this problem. I do remember ESSA standing out from my ortho background more than it did, as per one of your earlier points.

I have not noticed this as a global problem. I do turn off unnecessary features in Orbx config, though.

• his points are getting heavier when using VR but are also present without VR. My system is very decent and well setup. Runs very smooth generally and is performing well at other areas. But with ORBX I am having some negative experience.

I only fly VR, so my comments relate to your use case.

In summary, after 2 months flying with a lot of Orbx scenery, it had not occurred to me that there was any Orbx-specific problem, or that Orbx looks worse or performs more poorly than any other dev. The issues that I have seen are global problems that I'm sure LM will continue to work on.

Thanks for your sepecific and detailled feedback. I think I will reinstall some/all ORBX products to get a "clean start" with them. Appreciated!

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

I mostly find Orbx products very well optimized. Even GB TrueEarth which was unplayable around London is now super smooth thanks to their updates + v5 optimization. 

I used to have texture flickers in P3Dv4 but it's better in V5 for me.

I fly only in VR with the Reverb and the problem with ORBX LOWI also occured in my modern system since V5 and on the ORBX forum there are a lot posts of it since the beginning of V5 but still no solution.

Another ORBX problem I have in mountain terrain is floating houses/buildings/structures who are normaly behind a mountain shows up in front of it in the distance and slowly fade away when coming closer to it but that was also in V4.5. 

With ORBX LOWI as example I can see before Absam on the RW26 approach the "Europe Bridge" coming before the mountain and from the RW08 approach before Zirl and looks very odd.

All my ORBX products are up to date and in the right scenery order and I am NOT using 3 party mesh.

Happy landings...

Edited by simba_nl

8 minutes ago, simba_nl said:

Another ORBX problem I have in mountain terrain is floating houses/buildings/structures who are normaly behind a mountain shows up in the distance and slowly go away when coming closer to it but that was also in 4.5. 

I think this is a global (ie not an Orbx-specific) problem that occurs when large amounts of autogen are used.

Orbx seem disinterested in looking in to it,

LM forums don't really acknowledge it as a problem.

So unfortunately, I'm not confident that this will be addressed any time soon. Certainly, an intermittently noticable issue with TrueEarth when you've got the autogen sliders to the right. 

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

7 minutes ago, simba_nl said:

I fly only in VR with the Reverb and the problem with ORBX LOWI also occured in my modern system since V5

Another ORBX problem I have in mountain terrain is floating houses/buildings/structures who are normaly behind a mountain shows up in the distance and slowly go away when coming closer to it but that was also in 4.5. 

With LOWI as example I can see before Absam on the RW26 approach the "Europe Bridge" coming before the mountain and from the RW08 approach before Zirl and looks very odd.

Happy landings...

Hey,

thats interesting Same issue on my end (also having HP Reverb). Can your confirm having FPS loss while being in a dynamic light "bundle" (Apron) at LOWI and LEBB). Without VR everything seems fine. Within VR my FPS drop a lot, more like on other addons and I think unnecessary heavy drop. 

ESSA has also huge FPS drop within DynLight area at an apron for example. While viewing further away torwards the apron, but bringing your viewpoint out of the dynlight does increase the fps to normal average.

feedback much welcome SimbaNL. We should post it at ORBX with exact explaination of this issue (at least in my eyes an issue)

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

4 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

I think this is a global (ie not an Orbx-specific) problem that occurs when large amounts of autogen are used.

So unfortunately, I'm not confident that this will be addressed any time soon. Certainly, an intermittently noticable issue with TrueEarth when you've got the autogen sliders to the right. 

Yes this "object floating thing" may not be ORBX problem.Bot otherwize if their Scenery is suffering from this due an LM issue, they could point LM in the right direction and make some pressure to solve this

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

1 minute ago, OzWhitey said:

I have NO TrueEarth scenery in the ALPS of Europe but maybe it is ORBX Global. As I mentioned, It also occurs in PV4.5 so it is not specific V5 and the other specific ORBX LOWI problems comes in with V5.

7 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Hey,

thats interesting Same issue on my end (also having HP Reverb). Can your confirm having FPS loss while being in a dynamic light "bundle" (Apron) at LOWI and LEBB). Without VR everything seems fine. Within VR my FPS drop a lot, more like on other addons and I think unnecessary heavy drop. 

ESSA has also huge FPS drop within DynLight area at an apron for example. While viewing further away torwards the apron, but bringing your viewpoint out of the dynlight does increase the fps to normal average.

feedback much welcome SimbaNL. We should post it at ORBX with exact explaination of this issue (at least in my eyes an issue)

I'm not allowed to post in ORBX any longer before I take notice of a complain of one of the (terrible ego driven support guy) and I rufuse to do that so I follow the complaints overthere but do not participate any longer.

1 minute ago, simba_nl said:

I'm not allowed to post in ORBX any longer before I take notice of a complain of one of the (terrible ego driven support guy) and I rufuse to do that so I follow the complaints overthere but do not participate any longer.

well, Dat is jammer. I will post overthere anyway. It has to be solved.

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

No issues whatsoever here. They usually perform like champions (except a few older ones like YMML maybe YBCS also...) and never caused me any problems when configured correctly.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Hi

I find Orbx is generally good for me in v5. even with my old PC (2014)

Notable exceptions are LSZS (which worked pre HF1) and CYBD which no matter which HF crashes my P3D - Orbx confirmed this to be an issue but no update for it yet. I am nowhere near trying all my Orbx regions and airports out but no other issues so far.

Difficult to kow why there are these problems but they could be PBR and DX12 rellated, or in one case I had layered the scenery incorrectly and got a kernelbase dll CTD. Also disabling grass and flowers sometimes helps - as a temp workaround.

Otherwsie eg LOWI is working great as is the Landclass regions and full fat ones (British Isles, Germany USA Aus retc...

Ray