Sign in to follow this  
larshall

Airports compared - FSX and FS2020

Its a ok comparison.  Most of these airports are the super detailed ones in the new sim.  There are a few more default looking ones I could see in the video.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

6 hours ago, edpatino said:

Well, compared to something that happened 14 years ago is not fair anyway.

Actually when seeing it I found myself comparing to my collection of add on GA airports, of which I have some 200. I fly into many of them often.  Some are payware.  Most are freeware.  Some are as old as FSX. Some are as new as this month.  I am keenly interested in seeing more images and videos of FS2020 regional general aviation airports.  As much as I like what I see with 2020, those airports I fly into often, like KESN, KBMG, KAVL, KUMP, KSUS, KBJC, and KLZU would be tough to give up for something lesser...

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

17 hours ago, n4gix said:

If the same exact comparison were to have been between P3D v5.x and MSFS, the results wouldn't have been all that much different...

Something new is that Orbx has just announced that they shouldn’t port their Freeware Airport Packs to V5. They were real goodies on top of Global and Vector, outside of the fat regions. FS20 wins big here if they can deliver reasonably good default smallish airports.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/194251-any-news-about-global-airport-pack-for-v5/?do=findComment&comment=1683875

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

On 6/25/2020 at 3:00 PM, Ron Attwood said:

Add a sprinkling of Orbx...

You're not wrong. But it's kinda like saying "my Honda Civic is comparable to a Porsche 911 because if I put enough time, effort, and aftermarket addons into it it'll perform similarly."

Yeah, that's certainly true, but the guy with the Porsche got all that out of the box without having to fool around with anything else. And that's how far 2020 has come compared to FSX/P3D. Sure, you can make P3d look decent (though the palette is still bleak) if you buy enough modifications for it, but a big advancement on the 2020 side is that you simply don't have to.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/29/2020 at 11:32 PM, eslader said:

but the guy with the Porsche got all that out of the box without having to fool around with anything else

Not to mention that in your scenario the Porsche is way cheaper than a modified Honda 🙂 

• Like 2

Not a worthless comparison at all. It's showing how technology has grown and change for the better. Thanks to these comparisons we can learn to appreciate things more and see things progress gradually in a compressed format.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

On 6/30/2020 at 11:15 PM, Mihai Eu said:

Not to mention that in your scenario the Porsche is way cheaper than a modified Honda 🙂 

And, going forward with the SDK - we should be able to modify the Porsche...😁

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese

On 6/30/2020 at 11:15 PM, Mihai Eu said:

On what planet? You could pick up a civic top of the line for £32k. Even if you spent 40K modding it thats still only 72k.

A 911 starts at over 100,000k.........

• Like 1

Looking at P3Dv5, the default airports are more comparable to FS9 than even FSX. FS2020 is a different league and will leave P3D trailing behind.

I think it's interesting that each time FSX or P3D is to be compared, many people think it's unfair to show it without a billion dollar worth of addons. Even when compared to another sim that is completely vanilla and even when it's in an alpha development state.

For some strange reason the MSFS2020 skeptics always point out that P3D is "just a base" while MSFS2020 is somehow regarded as a final, non-extendable product. From what we've seen it's quite the opposite. MSFS2020 will also be "just a base" which can be made even better by 3rd party developers. It's just that the base appears to be what you can expect from a modern sim.

A fair comparison should always be vanilla vs vanilla, or sim+addons vs sim+addons.
I think that the comparison video is relevant to show that we've finally seen some actual improvements in the flightsim world.

• Like 3

Great comparison a 15 year old product against a unreleased product, next COD 1 against COD MW. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

On what planet? You could pick up a civic top of the line for £32k. Even if you spent 40K modding it thats still only 72k.

A 911 starts at over 100,000k.........

Yeah. I used to be in a car club with a guy who spent probably 15 grand on his $3,000 CRX. By the time he got done it was an engine-swapped supercharged beast of a car. He'd pass Corvettes in that car, which isn't bad for a car that came from the factory with 105 hp. And if you actually spend Porsche money on them, you end up with the Mugen GT3 CRX, which used to pass some of the slower GT1 cars. Admittedly there wasn't much left of the original car on those things - I talked to the mechanic for one, and he said they kept the tail lights and replaced everything else. 😉

Edited by eslader

I purchased my Honda Civic off a bloke in the pub in 1989 for £150 - approx $200  - which to me as young lad age 20 living in London was a lot of money as I only got paid £85 / week working nights and going to uni during the day.

Glad those days are over.

6 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

next COD 1 against COD MW. 

That would still be a valid comparison.

This video Is showing how MSFS has evolved since FSX, which was the last full entry in the franchise. It’s a valid comparison.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

That would still be a valid comparison.

This video Is showing how MSFS has evolved since FSX, which was the last full entry in the franchise. It’s a valid comparison.

Yep.

Here comes the Sun, dad-dad-da.

Here comes the sun - dada, dada.

And it's alright. 

(It's going to blow us away)

See you up there!