Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Decreasing FPS

1 minute ago, kevinfirth said:

I still can't believe you produce this for free Kai, excellent work, the world still has capacity to astound me 🙂

He needs a new video card.. maybe we could all donate a bit towards the cost :)

S.

2 minutes ago, simbol said:

He needs a new video card.. maybe we could all donate a bit towards the cost 🙂

S.

Am I being dim, I cant see a 'donate' button anyone on the AIG site?

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I tried turning EA off and on and also disabled Navigraph.  So far no luck although I did not do a very long flight but I can still see the drop in FPS every 5 to 10 seconds.

I am thinking I need to do a full reinstall and start over.  What is the best method to do this and keep my addons in the addon folder but not have them add in to the reinstalled P3D.  I will test on native first and then slowly add in one item at a time until I can figure out the culprit.  The only programs I have installed directly into the sim are PMDG.  thanks.

Edited by MarkW

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

12 minutes ago, simbol said:

@Kaiii3 you need a donate button 🙂

S.

we are currently reworking that part of the website - but remember all donations made there will go directly to AIG will only be used to maintain our Website^^

AIM 1.0 will get a donation button diretly in the Software xD

AIGtechBanner_Kai_AVSIM.png

Here is the latest update on this issue.  

Test #1 - Turned of all addons in the sim menu.  Flew KBOS to KSFO, PMDG 744.  First 3 hours was no problem, good frame rates, maybe noticed some instances of a slight drop in framerates.  I really started to notice it within an hour of descent and during the decent and approach it just got worse and worse until we hit the single digit slideshow upon landing.

Test #2 - renamed by P3Dv5 Addons folder and did the flight a second time. So nothing running except Chaseplane and the PMDG744.  Much better but again on descent and approach the single digit frames appear and we are back to a slideshow again....not as bad of a slideshow but still a problem.

Test #3 - no time or energy to redo the flight again so just did a KSFO to KSFO flight circuit of about 40 minutes.  This time I turned off the XML.EXE files that contained Chaseplane, RAAS Pro and the PMDG stuff.  So literally nothing running in the sim except the PMDG744.  The flight was smooth but there were still times where the spike in CPU happened and frames dropped down by 50% or more.

Based on the tests above with essentially everything turned off I think this is a problem of the sim itself and not any of the addons.  I was thinking of uninstalling everything and starting over but if its the sim, will that actually do anything?  It is strange how its only impacting some people but clearly there is a problem.

By the way, checking the CPU, it was not running at 100%, there were spikes when the drop happened but not constant high load.  Video card was steady with lots of headroom as well and no spikes.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

1 hour ago, MarkW said:

So literally nothing running in the sim except the PMDG744.  The flight was smooth but there were still times where the spike in CPU happened and frames dropped down by 50% or more.

Based on the tests above with essentially everything turned off I think this is a problem of the sim itself and not any of the addons.

I've not seen this slowdown in hours of flying, but then I've not been flying an addon. So it may be one of the things you didn't turn off or couldn't turn off without a stock install from scratch.

The first thing I would do is fly totally stock to be sure it's working right. Then fly with half the addons, then if still OK, fly with the other half. To fly a stock sim you could rename all the folders and install a totally unaffected copy of v5.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

...forgot to say to fly in another location as well.

13 minutes ago, MarkW said:

How do you fly stock without a full delete and reinstall?

Rename all the folders and install a fresh copy. If you uninstall the sim it will leave all the changes you made intact. Why not instead try without the PMDG? My point is that you can't blame the sim until you "really eliminated everything". So for example, you may have found a location in the stock sim that's causing some kind of problem and that would be handy to know about.

@SteveW, I don't think I did the rename correctly.

I renamed my P3D main install folder, my app data Roaming and Local LM P3D folder and my Documents P3D folder to something else and then tried to reinstall into the same hard drive.  The install just seemed to try and repair my current install in the renamed folders rather than reinstalling (or installing a new clean copy).  What is the correct procedure?  Thanks.

Edited by MarkW

Mark W   CYYZ