Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Decreasing FPS

21 minutes ago, simbol said:

You guys cleared the NVidia profiles?

S.

Yes.   If you mean opening NVidia Control Panel and making sure Restore and Apply are done in both Global and Program settings....then yes, I have done that.

Also...I assume when you do a clean install of a driver, the Control Panel is cleared of any profiles anyway.  Correct?

Stan

25 minutes ago, spilok said:

Yes.   If you mean opening NVidia Control Panel and making sure Restore and Apply are done in both Global and Program settings....then yes, I have done that.

Also...I assume when you do a clean install of a driver, the Control Panel is cleared of any profiles anyway.  Correct?

Stan

No it doesn't.

My recommendation is to not use any Nvidia profiles with P3D, it can cause lots of performance issues as P3D will fight some of the settings imposed by the profile specially now with V5 and DX12.

I helped an customer having issues with immersion manager V2 for Aerosoft. His performance issues were related to an Nvidia profile that he has was using for many years! After he deleted it, he was amaze how fast P3D was running in comparison with before..

S.

3 minutes ago, simbol said:

No it doesn't.

My recommendation is to not use any Nvidia profiles with P3D, it can cause lots of performance issues as P3D will fight some of the settings imposed by the profile specially now with V5 and DX12.

I helped an customer having issues with immersion manager V2 for Aerosoft. His performance issues were related to an Nvidia profile that he has was using for many years! After he deleted it, he was amaze how fast P3D was running in comparison with before..

S.

Also no PERFORMANCE preferd setting anymore? Just restore and leave it as it is?

Regards Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

42 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Also no PERFORMANCE preferd setting anymore? Just restore and leave it as it is?

Regards Marcus

You have to have some seriously weird settings for the profile to cause actual performance issues. There's no issue with using NCP to lock FPS, or set performance to maximum (still recommended by LM AFAIK). 

54 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Regards Marcus

11 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

You have to have some seriously weird settings for the profile to cause actual performance issues. There's no issue with using NCP to lock FPS, or set performance to maximum (still recommended by LM AFAIK). 

Funny, because I have seen lots of profiles causing problems due to such lock FPS settings.

LM has it own limiter. You should Use that instead. LM were recommending these NCP things for V3 / earlier versions of V4.

V5 is a new beast, DX12 works better when everything is handled directly via low level calls.. NCP would be another layer unnecessary which will cause conflict and delays.

There is a reason why LM developers have included even Vsync settings directly inside P3D..

S.

Edited by simbol
  • Upvote 1

The only difference I've seen from Nvidia's limiter vs. the built-in one is that the built-in one tanks your FPS. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, simbol said:

No it doesn't.

S.

I've never used a profile except once about 2 months ago I was limiting frames in NCP and that really didn't work out so well.  Since then, I have never changed a parameter in NCP.

Stan

6 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

The only difference I've seen from Nvidia's limiter vs. the built-in one is that the built-in one tanks your FPS. 

Not really, it predicts ahead since it has all the variables related to your simulation at its disposal.

NCP doesn't have any access to such simulation variables and will force your GPU to do things maybe it shouldn't at certain times making your simulator unstable, for example if your GPU VRAM is close to starvation.. NCP wouldn't care.. It will keep pushing and fighting P3D desired commands to control the situation and eventually you would end up with a DXGU device hung.

By the contrary P3D understand you want 30fps, but if your settings are above of what your hardware can do, P3D will take measures to keep things stable as the only objective is not jus FPS it is also millions of variables / situations to keep your simulator stable and running.. So if you set P3D to 30fps and it is not possible you would see a few frames less for a couple of seconds and then it will recover to 30.

This is just an example of many of why using P3D settings is better than an external tool as NCP.

It is also important to understand that if your frames target lock are not being kept by P3D, it means your system is not capable to do so with its current P3D settings, something NCP can't and will never be able to understand as it doesn't has access to P3D variables information.

By the contrary, P3D has access to all variables relating to your GPU + all the settings you have set under P3D, addons running, etc.

S.

Is Vsync ,with unlimited handled differently in DX12?

This combo with 25HZ has always being a good smooth experince when it could handle it. DX12 has more options for smooth ride?

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

44 minutes ago, simbol said:

Not really, it predicts ahead since it has all the variables related to your simulation at its disposal.

NCP doesn't have any access to such simulation variables and will force your GPU to do things maybe it shouldn't at certain times making your simulator unstable, for example if your GPU VRAM is close to starvation.. NCP wouldn't care.. It will keep pushing and fighting P3D desired commands to control the situation and eventually you would end up with a DXGU device hung.

By the contrary P3D understand you want 30fps, but if your settings are above of what your hardware can do, P3D will take measures to keep things stable as the only objective is not jus FPS it is also millions of variables / situations to keep your simulator stable and running.. So if you set P3D to 30fps and it is not possible you would see a few frames less for a couple of seconds and then it will recover to 30.

This is just an example of many of why using P3D settings is better than an external tool as NCP.

It is also important to understand that if your frames target lock are not being kept by P3D, it means your system is not capable to do so with its current P3D settings, something NCP can't and will never be able to understand as it doesn't has access to P3D variables information.

By the contrary, P3D has access to all variables relating to your GPU + all the settings you have set under P3D, addons running, etc.

S.

Boy, I wish P3D was actually that smart. The FPS lock in P3D is literally so bad that there's a payware app, FFTF, you can buy to make it usable. 

21 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Is Vsync ,with unlimited handled differently in DX12?

This combo with 25HZ has always being a good smooth experince when it could handle it. DX12 has more options for smooth ride?

Michael Moe

No, it's not any different.

• Like 1

So what is the consensus now? NVP purged and back to using p3d limiter? jeezus. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

4 minutes ago, SolRayz said:

So what is the consensus now? NVP purged and back to using p3d limiter? jeezus. 

The only "consensus" is that what may work for one person may not work for another. The NCP limiter is just fine. Some people swear by buying monitors with 30hz refresh rates and syncing to that. Some use the RTSS 1/2 sync. 

I just tested the in sim limiter at 30 vs NVP at 30, and NVP wins, no contest. Nothing has changed since the FSX days. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor